My husband and I arrived wearily after a long, tough five hour drive from NYC. The Yankees were going to play in Baltimore and everyone was on the highway. As we started up the staircase to the front door my husband tripped on a step which quickly brought our attention to just how unattractive, cheap and tacky the front entrance was. Cheap ugly outdoor carpeting. What is that gaudy looking fountain in the driveway? We looked at each other hesitantly both hoping that what awaited us behind that door was somehow not going to be related to this frightening exterior.
Regrettingly, we pushed forward and entered this nightmare. There was not a soul in sight. We could hear some kind of commotion in the background so we rang the bell at the desk. When a man finally appeared after some time he was disoriented and wanted to know what we wanted. We introduced ourselves and as we waited for a return gesture he mumbled something then darted into an office area off the main entrance. (He's in the hospitality business???) The incoherent message had something to do with the computer not working and we needed to show some ID and credit card. Feeling completely alienated and uncomfortable we asked him who he was, he replied "the owner".
At this point, we wanted to turn around and drive away but we were both so tired from all the traffic that we gave into his request to take a look around. We asked to see the room but first he gave us an abbreviated tour. We were completely unimpressed with the soulless atmosphere. We might as well have been in the movie set for Hitchcock's "Psycho". But the Bates Motel was better looking.
We finally got to to our appointed bedroom which seemed ok if you like cheap tacky fake furnishings and even cheaper, red drapes. It was very unpleasant to see that the bed had a unmade pillow laying on the edge, naked and wafer-like without its case. The pillows were flat foam wafers not luxurious fluffy feather clouds. Bad Vibes!
We expressed our discontent with the room and the owner offered to move us to another but in our tired state we decided to just take that one.
We handed over the credit card and ID and went to a local restaurant to discuss our situation. We returned in 30 minutes to tell the owner that we felt completely uncomfortable and were not going to stay. He was shocked and wanted to know why. When we explained that we were uncomfortable, he did not except our answer. He scoffed at us saying that was not a good enough reason and nervously let us know that no one has ever told him that before. He then said we had to pay the full price of the 2 night stay. He seemed very confused and nervous. He told us to speak to his wife but she wasn't there. We told him that we didn't want to wait and that she could call us. She never did.
After we left, a huge sigh of relief came over us. My husband and I love to try new places and prefer to stay at small hotels and B&Bs. We embrace the odd and the unique. This is not one. We wound up staying at a Sheraton across town because of such short notice. We never stay at big hotel chains but it was paradise compared to this dump. Don't waste your time and money.
This is not a positive recommendation.
- Also Known As:
- Columbia Suites At Peralynna Hotel Columbia
- Columbia Suites At Peralynna Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The inn cateres to the business and long term corporate traveler. For the traveler who is looking for a warm, comfortable environment instead of a sterile hotel, we invite you to borrow a book from the lending library, check out a complimentary new release DVD from our vast selection of movies, watch the game with other guests on the big screen TV, enjoy evening appetizers, 24 hour complimentary beverage service and breakfast every morning. Columbia Suites is a place you feel comfortable staying for a night or three months. Columbia Suites at Peralynna has been the home away from home to politicians, dignitaries, military personnel, notable musicians, government contractors, and more. We offer luxury suites, corporate, moderate, and economy suites to suit every budget. Most rooms feature king size beds, flat screen TV's, DVD players, gas remote fireplaces, and all guests receive complimentary Wi-fi and full hotel amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Venere, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your Columbia Inn at Peralynna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.