“Amazing Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Inn at Peralynna

You added Columbia Inn at Peralynna to your Saves list
Columbia Inn at Peralynna
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   10605 Route 108, Columbia, MD 21044 (Formerly Columbia Suites at Peralynna)   |
Special Offer
Free Amenity
Ranked #1 of 1 Columbia B&B and Inns
Rochester, New York
“Amazing Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Designed by one of the owners, this inn is a fascinating building. Soaring ceilings and turrets and comfy little rooms for communal reading, the bedrooms are spacious and comfortable. The breakfasts are cooked to order and the staff friendly. Definitely rococo in decor on the first floor.
There is a spacious patio for sitting and reading as well as a shady backyard. It does need some work to make it feel a little more cared for both on the furnishings in the bedrooms and the outside. The beds are to die for - Tempur-Pedic mattresses. If you have trouble with stairs this is not the place for you. They are everywhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
We read all of our reviews and very much appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to post this nice review of your stay at our Inn.

We work very hard at satisfying every guest, and we are very proud to read your kind words. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed all of our fabulous amenities, and we could not agree more that our Tempurpedic beds are simply amazing!

You may not have realized that we are in the throes of an exciting renovation of the Inn-the West Wing is currently closed but expected to re-open by October 18th.

We would love to have you back when all of the renovations are completed.

Thank you once more, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

David and Cynthia Lynn
Innkeepers
The Columbia Inn at Peralynna of Rose Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Maplewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I are just home from a two night stay in the K suite. We had a wonderful time! The location was great, away from the busy city life but still in driving distance for a day visit to the Inner Harbor and D.C. There's a beautiful park down the street with a walking trail, boat rentals and fishing and many restaurants within short driving distance. The room was clean, comfortable and airy with it's own balcony overlooking the backyard and deck. The hotel manager is extremely inviting and more than willing to accommodate any needs that arise. Breakfast was cooked to order, hot tea and coffee available at all times, and snacks and wine available in the evening.The Inn is very quiet and peaceful and great place to escape to for a couple days.

Room Tip: We did not see the other rooms, but enjoyed ours and felt it was a good price. We had an average ba...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you so very much! We truly appreciate your kind thoughts about our home. We enjoyed having you as our guest, and we hope to see you and your husband again soon. You must try another room on your next stay as well!
Fort Meade, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at The Inn at Peralynna on three different occasions. The mansion is breathtaking! The rooms are spacious, including amazing bathrooms and temperpedic mattresses. The staff is exceptional. They are extere,y fried.y, helpful and Welcoming. Breakfast is cooked to order, all homemade food- quite delicious! The mansion is homey, private and relaxing. Most rooms have outside balconies! We absolutely love this Inn and would recommend all to experience this facility.

Room Tip: The A, S and L suites are our favorites. They are very spacious with a living room, fridge, outside...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We agree that our entire staff work hard to make each guest's stay remarkable, one guest at a time. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your kind words energize our staff. We look forward to seeing you again for a fourth weekend away at our beautiful home!
Kingsport, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were in the are for a wedding. This was our first experience in a B & B so I did not know what to really expect. I was fairly pleased with my stay. The suite we stayed in had a nice tub with jets beside the bed. Shower and several water jets that felt awesome. Nice, cozy robes are in the room. Our room was private. The inn is uniquely decorated with different themes from around the world. My two dislikes would be the musty smell of the room (we were in the bottom level) and the breakfast cook was not very friendly. We felt as if we were bothering her for cooking us breakfast. I thought that was one of the special things about and B & B was the breakfast part? My husband requested OJ and it seemed like it was a problem for her to get it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
On behalf of the entire team here, allow me to apologize for the ways we failed to meet your expectations. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that day, and for that I sincerely apologize. A family emergency unexpectedly arose this past month and our attention was very limited to our home. We know this is no excuse for our paying customers who should expect nothing less than a luxurious night at our home. Please know that since your stay we have repaired a refrigerator leak we had in our basement that was causing the musty smell. All repairs are complete and the carpet has been thoroughly cleaned removing any odor. I sincerely apologize for your experience, and I hope to be able meet you on a return visit to our home if you'll give us another opportunity to prove to you our award-winning service.
Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night while in the area for a wedding. It was our first experience in a B & B, so I did not really know what to expect. The suite we stayed in was very nice. It had a large tub with jets in the bedroom by the bed and the shower was wonderful. The shower had five or so shower heads. Felt wonderful. It was clean. Upon arrival that evening, they had wine, cheeses and fruit out in the dining room. The only negatives we experienced was the room smelled a little musty. ( We were on the lower level) and the lady cooking the breakfast the next morning was not very friendly. We felt like we were bothering her while asking her for breakfast. My husband requested OJ that was not out and this seemed to be an issue. Other than these two things, we had a wonderful time here. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I recently returned from my visit to the Columbia Inn, and I can say without hesitation I was extremely happy – both with the staff and the accommodations. The inn itself is a little jewel inside, appointed with beautiful pictures, tapestries and eclectic pieces from travels all over the world. The pictures don’t do the rooms justice. Each room/suite is elegantly appointed, yet each has its own distinct personality (we were allowed to roam the inn and peek in rooms that weren’t booked at the time).

We stayed on the third floor during a VERY muggy and hot week, as I wanted the room with the “Romeo and Juliet” balcony in the front on the top of the inn, and I was concerned the heat might be brutal up there. Ironically, immediately upon our arrival, the first thing the innkeeper, Cynthia, said to us (after welcome, of course) was that she was concerned we might feel too warm up there, and explained that she had made sure the air conditioning was fully running and had provided a fan as well, just in case. She needn’t have worried – as soon as we walked into the suite, my friend and I looked at each other and smiled...the suite, including the temperature, was perfect.

I believe our suite was the “L Suite”, which was more spacious than the pictures were able to indicate on the website. The soaking bath was very clean (a lot of places claim soaking or hot tubs, but I am usually loathe to use them…they don’t always seem well kept), the robes were fresh and comfy, the bed was extremely comfortable, and we loved being a bit removed by being on the third floor. I also loved having a full ‘fridge, dishwasher and coffee amenities available in my room. Another cool feature of the L suite is that the wall in the living area with the couch and tv has a wall of windows onto the great room below. It was fun to peek down and see what was going on down there. We didn’t take advantage of the fireplace in the room, but I certainly hope to in the future. And, I kid you not, we woke to the smell of bacon cooking…which I love – and don’t worry, as soon as we returned to our room after breakfast, there was no “stale” bacon smell lingering!

The inn is split into almost two haves, connected on the second floor by the library. Personally, I liked being in the main house (and the rooms there the most), but the advantage of the more removed rooms is that they do have their own entrances and sitting areas.

The main room where breakfast is served is very light and airy, and the breakfast is plentiful. There were choices of pancakes, French toast, eggs any way, sausage, bacon, homefries, etc., and all was cooked to order. Also included was a selection of hot and cold beverages, bagels, muffins (cooked fresh from the oven – we had lemon-poppyseed) and cereal. My friend and I took advantage every day to sit out on the spacious back deck. We didn’t need to eat until teatime, when beverages, cheese, crackers, fresh-baked cookies and, on one day, even chocolate torte was available.

As for location, I wanted something away from the bustle, but close enough to explore the offerings of Baltimore and Annapolis if we felt motivated. We wound up wandering around Annapolis one day (about a half-hour away) and enjoying a delicious, casual crab dinner at Mike’s on the water before coming home. The inn was so comfortable, on the second day we decided to just stay in and only went out to dinner. The third day we went to Ellicott City (maybe 20 minutes away) and explored the shops and had good German food at the Ellicott brewery.

One thing I do want to note is that the most expensive rooms are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. We were able to see the C and O suites... The bathrooms are amazing (especially in the “bridal suite” - C), and the suites themselves are simply luxurious feeling. If I were a bride, I would absolutely want to get ready in (and retire to) the bridal suite on my big day. It is perfect for getting ready! I absolutely want to say in each of the best two suites – and will return to do so.

Last, but far from least, the staff at the inn were great. They were casual and relaxed, yet responsive and helpful in every way.

I am relatively well traveled - I have stayed in many 5-star hotels all over the country, my family lived in Europe for a time, I have frequented many B&Bs of varying quality, and spend time every March in the Virgin Islands. I only say this so people reading my review will understand I have relatively high expectations, and I was very happy staying at The Columbia Inn. It is a B&B designed to be tucked away and enjoyed in the classic sense B& Bs should be enjoyed…like you are staying with gracious, interesting, unobtrusive hosts who love knowing you enjoy their home.

If you’re on the fence, make the reservation. You won’t regret it.

Room Tip: I would splurge for the C or O suites, if you can. If not, the L suite was a great deal - but beware...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank you enough for sharing such a beautiful review of our home. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest, and we cannot wait to visit with you again on a return trip to Peralynna.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I chose to hold our summer "staycation" at the Columbia Inn since I purchased a Living Social for the inn and felt the need to use it before our schedules became crazy again. Our voucher was for one of the "royal suites"--the nicest suites in the inn--and included several additional elements (bottle of sparkling cider, winery tasting and tour, spa vouchers, bubble bath, silk rose petals, & chocolate-covered strawberries).

*Two quick recommendations for travelers using Living Social: 1. the price on the discount site is not much better than the actual price, even with the additional "perks." Do not be swindled! 2. It is in your best interest to constantly bring up the package components to the B&B staff, as they are not too knowledgeable about the deal specifics*

Ok, so we were definitely excited based on the website photos and descriptions and based on the room descriptions given over the phone. And then the day of our arrival came...

First, I received a call the day of our arrival stating that the bubble bath had not arrived on time to the inn, so we would be receiving a substitution item--a bottle of champagne or sparkling cider. This was already part of our package, so it wasn't a true substitution; we lost out on one of the elements of our package.

Second, although the inn is a "no smoking" establishment, I walked out on our patio--the one connected to our room--immediately upon arriving at the inn to find a plastic tray on the patio table filled with cigarette butts, cigarette packs, and ashes galore. Gross. As I did not want to touch the filthy items, I told the front desk attendant, who appeared confused and then went to the patio to remove the mess. No apology--just a side comment that the cleaning staff should have cleaned that up.

On the whole, the inn is a tired facility. Our room (the A-suite) had the loudest and gaudiest decor I have ever observed in a hotel/inn, and one of the door handles was broken in the bathroom. The inn itself has some beautiful attributes, but the place I was most eager to see and spend time in (the basement game room) had such a funky smell that my wife did not want to stay down there for too long. Plus, despite having such a wonderful pool table, the inn only had one functional pool cue.

No, our staycation was not horrible; we enjoyed several elements of the Columbia Inn. 1. The tub in the A suite is superb; 2. The common areas of the inn are interesting and comfortable, especially the grand patio connected to the dining area; 3. The entire staff is friendly and helpful; 4. The (included) breakfast is pretty yummy, although it also could use some additional flair.

Many of the framed awards and praise on the wall in the dining area and lobby claim that the hotel was a major award winner in 2010. Perhaps the innkeepers need to examine what went right in that year and adjust accordingly.

Room Tip: The royal suites are the cream of the crop. The A suite is notorious for its tub and shower, but the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Columbia Inn at Peralynna? Share your experiences!