“First Experience in a B & B” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Inn at Peralynna

Save Saved
You added Columbia Inn at Peralynna to your Saves list
Columbia Inn at Peralynna
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   10605 Route 108, Columbia, MD 21044 (Formerly Columbia Suites at Peralynna)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Columbia B&B and Inns
Kingsport, Tennessee
“First Experience in a B & B”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were in the are for a wedding. This was our first experience in a B & B so I did not know what to really expect. I was fairly pleased with my stay. The suite we stayed in had a nice tub with jets beside the bed. Shower and several water jets that felt awesome. Nice, cozy robes are in the room. Our room was private. The inn is uniquely decorated with different themes from around the world. My two dislikes would be the musty smell of the room (we were in the bottom level) and the breakfast cook was not very friendly. We felt as if we were bothering her for cooking us breakfast. I thought that was one of the special things about and B & B was the breakfast part? My husband requested OJ and it seemed like it was a problem for her to get it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
On behalf of the entire team here, allow me to apologize for the ways we failed to meet your expectations. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that day, and for that I sincerely apologize. A family emergency unexpectedly arose this past month and our attention was very limited to our home. We know this is no excuse for our paying customers who should expect nothing less than a luxurious night at our home. Please know that since your stay we have repaired a refrigerator leak we had in our basement that was causing the musty smell. All repairs are complete and the carpet has been thoroughly cleaned removing any odor. I sincerely apologize for your experience, and I hope to be able meet you on a return visit to our home if you'll give us another opportunity to prove to you our award-winning service.

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night while in the area for a wedding. It was our first experience in a B & B, so I did not really know what to expect. The suite we stayed in was very nice. It had a large tub with jets in the bedroom by the bed and the shower was wonderful. The shower had five or so shower heads. Felt wonderful. It was clean. Upon arrival that evening, they had wine, cheeses and fruit out in the dining room. The only negatives we experienced was the room smelled a little musty. ( We were on the lower level) and the lady cooking the breakfast the next morning was not very friendly. We felt like we were bothering her while asking her for breakfast. My husband requested OJ that was not out and this seemed to be an issue. Other than these two things, we had a wonderful time here. I would stay here again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I recently returned from my visit to the Columbia Inn, and I can say without hesitation I was extremely happy – both with the staff and the accommodations. The inn itself is a little jewel inside, appointed with beautiful pictures, tapestries and eclectic pieces from travels all over the world. The pictures don’t do the rooms justice. Each room/suite is elegantly appointed, yet each has its own distinct personality (we were allowed to roam the inn and peek in rooms that weren’t booked at the time).

We stayed on the third floor during a VERY muggy and hot week, as I wanted the room with the “Romeo and Juliet” balcony in the front on the top of the inn, and I was concerned the heat might be brutal up there. Ironically, immediately upon our arrival, the first thing the innkeeper, Cynthia, said to us (after welcome, of course) was that she was concerned we might feel too warm up there, and explained that she had made sure the air conditioning was fully running and had provided a fan as well, just in case. She needn’t have worried – as soon as we walked into the suite, my friend and I looked at each other and smiled...the suite, including the temperature, was perfect.

I believe our suite was the “L Suite”, which was more spacious than the pictures were able to indicate on the website. The soaking bath was very clean (a lot of places claim soaking or hot tubs, but I am usually loathe to use them…they don’t always seem well kept), the robes were fresh and comfy, the bed was extremely comfortable, and we loved being a bit removed by being on the third floor. I also loved having a full ‘fridge, dishwasher and coffee amenities available in my room. Another cool feature of the L suite is that the wall in the living area with the couch and tv has a wall of windows onto the great room below. It was fun to peek down and see what was going on down there. We didn’t take advantage of the fireplace in the room, but I certainly hope to in the future. And, I kid you not, we woke to the smell of bacon cooking…which I love – and don’t worry, as soon as we returned to our room after breakfast, there was no “stale” bacon smell lingering!

The inn is split into almost two haves, connected on the second floor by the library. Personally, I liked being in the main house (and the rooms there the most), but the advantage of the more removed rooms is that they do have their own entrances and sitting areas.

The main room where breakfast is served is very light and airy, and the breakfast is plentiful. There were choices of pancakes, French toast, eggs any way, sausage, bacon, homefries, etc., and all was cooked to order. Also included was a selection of hot and cold beverages, bagels, muffins (cooked fresh from the oven – we had lemon-poppyseed) and cereal. My friend and I took advantage every day to sit out on the spacious back deck. We didn’t need to eat until teatime, when beverages, cheese, crackers, fresh-baked cookies and, on one day, even chocolate torte was available.

As for location, I wanted something away from the bustle, but close enough to explore the offerings of Baltimore and Annapolis if we felt motivated. We wound up wandering around Annapolis one day (about a half-hour away) and enjoying a delicious, casual crab dinner at Mike’s on the water before coming home. The inn was so comfortable, on the second day we decided to just stay in and only went out to dinner. The third day we went to Ellicott City (maybe 20 minutes away) and explored the shops and had good German food at the Ellicott brewery.

One thing I do want to note is that the most expensive rooms are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. We were able to see the C and O suites... The bathrooms are amazing (especially in the “bridal suite” - C), and the suites themselves are simply luxurious feeling. If I were a bride, I would absolutely want to get ready in (and retire to) the bridal suite on my big day. It is perfect for getting ready! I absolutely want to say in each of the best two suites – and will return to do so.

Last, but far from least, the staff at the inn were great. They were casual and relaxed, yet responsive and helpful in every way.

I am relatively well traveled - I have stayed in many 5-star hotels all over the country, my family lived in Europe for a time, I have frequented many B&Bs of varying quality, and spend time every March in the Virgin Islands. I only say this so people reading my review will understand I have relatively high expectations, and I was very happy staying at The Columbia Inn. It is a B&B designed to be tucked away and enjoyed in the classic sense B& Bs should be enjoyed…like you are staying with gracious, interesting, unobtrusive hosts who love knowing you enjoy their home.

If you’re on the fence, make the reservation. You won’t regret it.

Room Tip: I would splurge for the C or O suites, if you can. If not, the L suite was a great deal - but beware...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We cannot thank you enough for sharing such a beautiful review of our home. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest, and we cannot wait to visit with you again on a return trip to Peralynna.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I chose to hold our summer "staycation" at the Columbia Inn since I purchased a Living Social for the inn and felt the need to use it before our schedules became crazy again. Our voucher was for one of the "royal suites"--the nicest suites in the inn--and included several additional elements (bottle of sparkling cider, winery tasting and tour, spa vouchers, bubble bath, silk rose petals, & chocolate-covered strawberries).

*Two quick recommendations for travelers using Living Social: 1. the price on the discount site is not much better than the actual price, even with the additional "perks." Do not be swindled! 2. It is in your best interest to constantly bring up the package components to the B&B staff, as they are not too knowledgeable about the deal specifics*

Ok, so we were definitely excited based on the website photos and descriptions and based on the room descriptions given over the phone. And then the day of our arrival came...

First, I received a call the day of our arrival stating that the bubble bath had not arrived on time to the inn, so we would be receiving a substitution item--a bottle of champagne or sparkling cider. This was already part of our package, so it wasn't a true substitution; we lost out on one of the elements of our package.

Second, although the inn is a "no smoking" establishment, I walked out on our patio--the one connected to our room--immediately upon arriving at the inn to find a plastic tray on the patio table filled with cigarette butts, cigarette packs, and ashes galore. Gross. As I did not want to touch the filthy items, I told the front desk attendant, who appeared confused and then went to the patio to remove the mess. No apology--just a side comment that the cleaning staff should have cleaned that up.

On the whole, the inn is a tired facility. Our room (the A-suite) had the loudest and gaudiest decor I have ever observed in a hotel/inn, and one of the door handles was broken in the bathroom. The inn itself has some beautiful attributes, but the place I was most eager to see and spend time in (the basement game room) had such a funky smell that my wife did not want to stay down there for too long. Plus, despite having such a wonderful pool table, the inn only had one functional pool cue.

No, our staycation was not horrible; we enjoyed several elements of the Columbia Inn. 1. The tub in the A suite is superb; 2. The common areas of the inn are interesting and comfortable, especially the grand patio connected to the dining area; 3. The entire staff is friendly and helpful; 4. The (included) breakfast is pretty yummy, although it also could use some additional flair.

Many of the framed awards and praise on the wall in the dining area and lobby claim that the hotel was a major award winner in 2010. Perhaps the innkeepers need to examine what went right in that year and adjust accordingly.

Room Tip: The royal suites are the cream of the crop. The A suite is notorious for its tub and shower, but the...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The premises were upscale but the breakfast was not (it was ok). The staff were friendly and it was a great retreat. Walking distance from the inn is a great restaurant- The Iron Bridge Wine Company so if you stay here its definitely worthwhile to check out the restaurant.

My boyfriend and I loved the balconies and there was a sheep farm across the street. All in all a place and experience, we would consider visiting again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We take great pride in our beautiful home and friendly staff and truly appreciate you sharing your experience. We apologize our breakfast did not meet your expectations. We would love to have you as our guest again in the future.
Severna Park, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I chose Perylanna Inn to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. We never had a ceremony and saved to splurge on a great evening. We left this morning joking we wanted to move in and decided to have our vow renewal and wedding reception here in July 2014.

45 minutes after leaving, however, I received a call stating that because I had spilled wine on the bed sheet which also got onto our robes, I was being charged $250. No attempt could have been made in this short amount of time to lauder the sheets and robes, yet my card was already charged $250. When I asked if I could clean them myself I was told they do not allow outside chemicals. I do no understand how a little bleach on those white sheets and robes can not resolve this issue. My husband and our stay for a Thursday evening has now cost us over $500 because of an accident. I'm sure those sheets have seen much more than wine. If they cant get the wine out, how effective is their cleaning?

Needless to say we will not have our wedding reception here. I can only imagine what they would charge us if someone spilled something or had dirty shoes.

What an unbelievable let down. We really loved this place but can't believe the lack of hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
I would like to apologize for not being able to handle this situation with you myself, but I have been away due to a death in the family.

We have discovered, much to our dismay and a great cost to our business, that even a little red wine spill tend leaves a huge stain due to spreading and we have never found a good solution for removing the stains completely.

If you feel that you have a solution to remove them, I would be happy to give you the opportunity to try, and if you are successful, we would be delighted to refund the charge.

I would welcome any suggestions from past present or future guests of the Inn, or readers of this review who have any suggestions for red wine removal so that we can all enjoy red wine at Peralynna again.

The first one that comes up with a sure fire solution to this problem will receive a complementary nights stay, and of course if it can be removed from this spill, our lovely guests will be able to be refunded the damage fees. A win-win for all.

We would rather not have to repurchase the items and we certainly didn't want you to have an unpleasant experience either. Our goal is and always has been, to treat our guests to the best experience possible. We love what we do, we love our guests and we love sharing our home with others.

I did review your situation with the staff and they reported that upon inspection of the large size and color of the stains on the two white monogramed robes, Tempurpedic mattress cover and 650 thread count cotton sheet, that it was determined that the items could not be cleaned and reused for our other guests. They did wash the items, but the stains are still quite obvious.

We might have been able to remove the stains had we gotten the items when the spill happened, but we were unaware of the spillage until after you had checked out and it was discovered by the cleaning staff after 11 am.

Unfortunately, the cost to replace these luxury items is well over 400.00, considerably more than the $250 that was charged.

I would like to discuss this further with you at your earliest convenience. You can reach us 410-715-4600 or by email at peralynna@aol.com.

We do appreciate your kind words regarding your overnight stay with us and we hope to hear from you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Columbia Inn at Peralynna may have been the best place I have ever stayed. The C-suite was beautiful and I spend hours in the deep tub. The grounds were amazing and the staff very nice. We were in town to see a show at Toby's. I wish I had known about this wonderful place when we got married I would have done it there. I will most definitely be back. I wish I could give it more then Excellent!

Room Tip: C-SUITE OMG I can't even explain how elegant
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
peralynnainn, Owner at Columbia Inn at Peralynna, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for such an amazing review! We agree that the C-Suite is simply elegant and the perfect room for a night of luxury. We look forward to your return soon!.

Been to Columbia Inn at Peralynna? Share your experiences!