My wife and I chose to hold our summer "staycation" at the Columbia Inn since I purchased a Living Social for the inn and felt the need to use it before our schedules became crazy again. Our voucher was for one of the "royal suites"--the nicest suites in the inn--and included several additional elements (bottle of sparkling cider, winery tasting and tour, spa vouchers, bubble bath, silk rose petals, & chocolate-covered strawberries).
*Two quick recommendations for travelers using Living Social: 1. the price on the discount site is not much better than the actual price, even with the additional "perks." Do not be swindled! 2. It is in your best interest to constantly bring up the package components to the B&B staff, as they are not too knowledgeable about the deal specifics*
Ok, so we were definitely excited based on the website photos and descriptions and based on the room descriptions given over the phone. And then the day of our arrival came...
First, I received a call the day of our arrival stating that the bubble bath had not arrived on time to the inn, so we would be receiving a substitution item--a bottle of champagne or sparkling cider. This was already part of our package, so it wasn't a true substitution; we lost out on one of the elements of our package.
Second, although the inn is a "no smoking" establishment, I walked out on our patio--the one connected to our room--immediately upon arriving at the inn to find a plastic tray on the patio table filled with cigarette butts, cigarette packs, and ashes galore. Gross. As I did not want to touch the filthy items, I told the front desk attendant, who appeared confused and then went to the patio to remove the mess. No apology--just a side comment that the cleaning staff should have cleaned that up.
On the whole, the inn is a tired facility. Our room (the A-suite) had the loudest and gaudiest decor I have ever observed in a hotel/inn, and one of the door handles was broken in the bathroom. The inn itself has some beautiful attributes, but the place I was most eager to see and spend time in (the basement game room) had such a funky smell that my wife did not want to stay down there for too long. Plus, despite having such a wonderful pool table, the inn only had one functional pool cue.
No, our staycation was not horrible; we enjoyed several elements of the Columbia Inn. 1. The tub in the A suite is superb; 2. The common areas of the inn are interesting and comfortable, especially the grand patio connected to the dining area; 3. The entire staff is friendly and helpful; 4. The (included) breakfast is pretty yummy, although it also could use some additional flair.
Many of the framed awards and praise on the wall in the dining area and lobby claim that the hotel was a major award winner in 2010. Perhaps the innkeepers need to examine what went right in that year and adjust accordingly.
- Also Known As:
- Columbia Suites At Peralynna Hotel Columbia
- Columbia Suites At Peralynna Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The inn cateres to the business and long term corporate traveler. For the traveler who is looking for a warm, comfortable environment instead of a sterile hotel, we invite you to borrow a book from the lending library, check out a complimentary new release DVD from our vast selection of movies, watch the game with other guests on the big screen TV, enjoy evening appetizers, 24 hour complimentary beverage service and breakfast every morning. Columbia Suites is a place you feel comfortable staying for a night or three months. Columbia Suites at Peralynna has been the home away from home to politicians, dignitaries, military personnel, notable musicians, government contractors, and more. We offer luxury suites, corporate, moderate, and economy suites to suit every budget. Most rooms feature king size beds, flat screen TV's, DVD players, gas remote fireplaces, and all guests receive complimentary Wi-fi and full hotel amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Columbia Inn at Peralynna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.