“The place that charges you TWICE” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Washington DC
“The place that charges you TWICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

Terrible place!!! I left and a week later they charged me twice. Two $80 charges. After 100 or so calls back to the place, they kept giving me the runaround, the managers on the phone, I'll call you back (they don't), and managers not here. Can't understand them either, they are Indian and they use their lack of English in their favor. DO NOT stay here, they charge everyone TWICE!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

The hotel was cheap that was about the only redeeming factor. The rooms were nothing special, but my light switch showed signs of being burned as well as cigaret burns in the toilet seat. The free breakfast was a plate of donuts in the front office which is the size of a closet. The front desk people are useless, I had a question about my statement when I checked in and he put me on the phone with tech support for the software. I ended up being double billed after arguing with them and being assured I wouldn't. Luckily I was at an event that kept me away all day so all I did was sleep there otherwise I would have been very tempted to go somewhere else.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — Useless Staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

The hotel staff was very rude and the I had to pay through a bullet proof window at the reception area. Checked out quick, hated the hotel, stayed somewhere else.

Staff was rude and they charged me twice for my stayed. Tried to sort it out with them but they ignored me and never got back. Horrible customer service. Will not stay again and do not recommend it.

• Liked — Unfortunately nothing.
  • Disliked — Bad customer service.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

I was just scouting around for hotels in College Park, Maryland, where my son attends the University of Maryland. Was surprised that this hotel is still in business. I stayed there in 2003 when my son was attending freshman orientation. I was a woman traveling alone, and have to say I felt very unsafe in this hotel. The hotel just screams "rents by the hour"! While the hotel room was surprisingly clean, the decor was very outdated. The curtains did not close all of the way-had to pin them together for privacy. I would see shadows pass by and stop at my window. Yikes!!! The parking lot was very dark and under the building. Cars with men in them just sat out in the parking lot - pimps (-:? I was so uneasy that I finally pushed a table and a chair in front of the door. The doors do not have keys. You have to swipe to get in-ok for a hotel with indoor corridors-definitely no ok for this hotel. Each room should have a deadbolt! This place is just plain creepy. When I checked out in the morning I had to slide my keys through a little pass through. The front desk is behind bullet proof glass. Stay at your own risk!!!

• Liked — Closeness to UMD
  • Disliked — Not safe at night
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2003, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greensboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2005

I was quite disappointed when I pulled up in the parking lot to this hotel. It is very close to the interstate (I-495) but it was not worth $70+ per night. A dismal looking hotel that appears to be a bit old and in need of updates.

PROS: Room had microwave and fridge. Room was clean. Coffee and donuts were available if you like that sort of thing. Cable system had more channels than the cable system available at the $300+ per night Courtyard Marriott from whence I had just come. Convenient to several restaurants and the U of Maryland campus. This basically ends the positive portion of our review...

CONS: Poor water pressure in toilet (in fact, after doing the "number two", the toilet would not flush). No elevator and the only stairwells were on opposite ends of a weirdly-designed hotel. The hotel is 3 stories and all rooms have exterior entrances. Parking was decent but nothing to write home about. No iron or ironing board in the room. They had an iron at the desk but no ironing board so I had to use the table in the room as an impromptu ironing board. Front desk staff was somewhat curt and not very full of information. No real cheer or friendly faces here. The remote control for the TV had no batteries and, given the less-than-cordial appearance of the front desk staff and the short length of my stay, I didn't even call the front desk about it.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel except for a business traveler. Even then, surely there must be another hotel in the area that is of a comparable rate and has better rooms and friendlier staff. I will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!