“Close to metro and good price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in College Park
Twin Cities, MN
“Close to metro and good price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is a typical Quality Inn for the most part in my opinion. They offer free breakfast with waffles in the morning. The best part of this hotel is it's price and the fact its about a 10 minute walk from the College Park Subway on the Green Line. If you want to save a little money instead of staying closer to all the sites, this is the place. Its about a 25 minute train ride to the sites of DC. This was the second time staying here. The rooms are (motel like meaning the doors open to the outside). It is an older hotel, so there are no bells and whistles. And that was fine for us as we were there for 3 nights mostly to take in all the sites and then also a Redskins game (about 50 minutes of subway rides to Fed Ex). For what we wanted to do, it works perfect. It is near the U of Maryland campus and thus we always felt safe walking to and from the subway regardless of what time it was. There is an outdoor pool that we didn't use due to our trip being in November.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Jyvaskyla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Free parking, breakfast included, wi-fi, good location, quiet enough, table and bed. That's what I needed and that's what they had.
Ok, let's be frank, place has seen its best days, but it was clean enough, no dirt no pests. Sheets were clean and bathroom was ok. It had both air-conditioning and heating. In my room airconditioning was quite noisy, but I think the machine had seen its best days. It worked, though.
Hotel's location was good - I had a car, so easy access from Baltimore avenue both to highways and to Washington was important for me - those I had. Also, easy walk to train station and Washington metro was a bonus.
Restaurants were within an easy reach, but happily, hotel was at the edge of the restaurant area, which kept noisy student groups out of the area. That was good, too.
Breakfast was barebones, but they have it and it's complimentary. They even had morning papers.
Wi-fi worked well and that was important.
So, if you don't keep your exceptations too high, this place works well.
I was in the high-rise (5 floors), can't tell about the two-floor buildings. Some of the rooms apparently had kitchens, my room did not have, and there was no refridgerator neither, which I would always value myself.
I slept well, give a plus for that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
California, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was by myself on business, and had a small single room in the high rise portion of the hotel. A little stuffy maybe, but nothing to complain about. The exercise room was pretty good, but the pool was closed when I stayed there (early Oct). I was able to walk to my meetings, to the Metro, and to a couple of cheaper restaurants, which met my needs. The staff were mostly helpful, though it was sometimes hard to get their attention at the desk, as the lone employee tried to keep up with phone calls and guests. The van service is combined with another hotel up the road, so when you board the van you may drive around a while before getting where you want to go, which I wish they had let me know up front as I would have just walked.

The breakfast was typical motel fare -- lots of bread and spread, weak coffee, hard boiled eggs (which, despite the sign saying not to, people kept putting in the microwave to warm, which makes them explode) and DIY waffles with viscous corn sweetener masquerading as maple syrup.

Overall, pretty much what I expected, and was sufficient for what I needed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
chalfont, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed one night while visiting our son at University of Maryland. It is convenient to campus. Our room was clean and the included breakfast was acceptable, although since it was parents' weekend, the hotel was very crowded and there was inadequate seating when everyone converged at 9:00 a.m. for breakfast. The good news is that is just across from Plato's Diner - excellent food but get there early or expect a ridiculous wait for Sunday morning breakfast. Unfortunately, I would not stay there again because at 3:30 a.m., we were awakened by someone attempting to enter our room with his key. Even after we shouted "wrong room!" he returned and tried to get in again. I called the front desk and asked them to deal with it or else I would call the police. Pretty disturbing. Guess it could happen anywhere but needless to say, it was a while before I was able to fall back asleep. There are a number of hotels of this type in the area and next time I'll choose a different one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Windsor, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked this trip using Priceline. I booked for 2 nights. When we arrived it was late (after 10pm), and we were not very pleased with the room, but being too tired to ask to change it, we stayed. It was an outside ground floor room. There was a gap under the door. I put a towel down so no critters could come in during the night (hoping there weren't any already there). The shower head needed to be replaced, you could pull the pipe right out of the wall in the shower. The next day we asked for a different room. We were put on the second floor and it was a much better room. I wonder if Priceline rooms are the ones they don't take care of very well since it is much cheaper than the hotel rate. The free breakfast was ok. There were bagels, toast, muffins, waffle maker, juices and coffee. The staff was accommodating and pleasant when we asked for a different room, so that was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Good hotel stay. Good size room with all necessary amenities and reasonable cleaningness. The staffs were friendly and helpful. A nice perk is the computer at the lobby for checking email or looking up a point of interest and a map. Did not bring along a laptop for the family trip, so this is especially convenient. The hot breakfast has a good selection of choices, but the couple nights we stayed there, there was a big group of people staying at the hotel for some kind of convention, so the lobby was extremely crowded during breakfast time.

Chose the hotel for the proximity to Washington DC and its price. Just a 10 to 15 minute walk to the subway station, not even need to utilize the free shuttle service. Get to see all the DC attractions by subway, avoiding the traffic and parking headache, while paying reasonable cost for hotel stay. Various restaurants within a short driving distance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Albany NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My family and I stayeda t this hotel for 4 nights recently and were very pleased. The location is great (just down the street from the University of Maryland), it's 3 blocks from the Metro Station and they offer a shuttle service to and from the station, the staff is efficient, friendly and very knowledgeable of the area. Our room was a good size (there were three of us) and we were able to spread out comfortably. My favorite part of the room was probably the shower. the water pressure was wonderful (better than any hotel I've even been to and better thanmy home shower!). No matter what time of day someone took a shower, there was never a probelm with the water pressure or getting hotel water.

The hotel is about 9 miles from Washington DC so it's easy to take the Metro into the city.

The hotel pool is great - very large and there was hardly anyone using it when we were there so it was like we had it to ourselves.

We will definitely stay in this hotel again when we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!