“I don't know where to begin!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in College Park
New York
“I don't know where to begin!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

Here goes ... The room very filthy (sticky goo on the TV screen and the nightstand ... This is basic stuff to clean). I had to keep the window open all night to survive the stench. And the bedding! Oy ... The place is so gross you wish you had brought your own blanket to protect yourself. I dared to walk on the carpet in white socks, which were black in minutes.

The lights, TV remote and Internet all didn't work (I was told that only the manger could reset the wireless system, and he wouldn't be in until 10:30 the next morning!!! Never mind if any guest had actual work to do!)

The three times I asked about the shuttle, I was told it would "be a while." The staff was either clueless or surly. When I asked about the airport shuttle, one guy at the front desk told me the only option he knew about was his friend, who would drive me to Dulles for $70.

It's a shame because the location is excellent. It really is a lovely 10-minute walk to the metro, which gets you downtown in 20 minutes, And there are lots of amenities in this nice college town. It's a good strategy for the budget traveler to DC to stay in College Park -- Just avoid this place at all costs!!

Stayed October 2007

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Encinitas, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

Pro: service was 3-4 stars. Very polite, offered suggestions, tried as best as they could to manage as many groups as there were. A slight walk to metro but very safe neighborhood en route. Few places to eat nearby, just below the UMD campus which is walking distance.

Con: houskeeping needs to be retrained in basic sanitation. That is, when the towels are left on the floor, that means they need to be replaced with CLEAN ones, not the same ones on the floor! Bedbugs were prominent everywhere as a few of our colleagues were bitten in varying degrees by the buggers - some a LOT worse than others.

Overall the hotel would truly live up to it's name if they renovated extensively and sanitized the place. It's not the healthiest place to be, especially with young ones around. Not sure about some of these other positive reviews but trust me on this one: stay at the Comfort Inn or UMUC Marriott; you know what you're paying for!

• Liked — Close proximity to UMD College Park and metro access
  • Disliked — Lack of sanitation and hygiene and rampant bedbugs problem!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

I booked 4 rooms through Hotels.com. When we arrived, there was only one room reserved. One room we had obtained after being in the lobby for 2 hours was smoking when we wanted non-smoking. That room had a bullet hole in the window. That should have been fixed.

The rooms were below average for looks---the carpet was dirty, the tile on the floor clean, but needed to be replaced. The tub was old. There wasn't enough towels for the guests. Even our room for two people on some days received one fresh set of towels.

The staff however was very nice and willing to make things right.

We thought since it was a "drive" to DC that was why the price was ecomonical, however, you get what you pay for....we should have had a better motel.

Stayed June 2007
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

In hotels I care mostly about clean and quiet, and this one fit the bill.

Quality Inn is the closest lodging to the College Park Metro (rail) station, an 11-minute walk. Lots of fast food and some sit-down dining within a block. U of Maryland is a couple hundred yards.

My small, single room was clean and about average for a motel. Staff upon check-in was just marking time; upon check-out the guy seemed really interested in my only complaint, which was more of an observation: the pigeons roosting outside the rooms would not let me sleep past 7:00 a.m.

The free breakfast was no better than the other ones I've seen over the years: all carbs, brought in boxes from somewhere else. I skipped it and went to Starbucks a block away.

I booked through the Southwest Airlines website and got an $83 rate - best deal I could find for a hotel near College Park.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, quiet
  • Disliked — Price - still too high
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greensburg, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

I was very nervous about this hotel after reading the reviews. I was bringing 27 high school students and chaperones to DC and thought I would check out this hotel as an option. My son and I came for a long weekend over President's day.

We could not check in early. Not a strike, but would have definitely been a perk. The website said three blocks to the Metro, I'm not sure what the standard definition of a "block" is, but it was farther than I thoughte: GOOD: After walking to the hotel the day we arrived, we discovered they have a shuttle that will take you to the Metro and pick you up. Just call the hotel at their number and request the shuttle to pick you up. We tipped the driver each way as it was definitely a plus that I wasn't expecting.

Our room wasn't anything spectatuclar. It was not the quality that I expected from Quality Suites. It was more like an Econolodge. GOOD: Our room had new carpet which helped the rooms' presence. BAD: Our phone did not work in the room. After maintenance looked at they said "the carpet installers must have cut the line." OK. I mentioned that one of our sinks did not drain. I made the mistake of saying we had the second sink and the maintenance guy must have thought it was alright not to fix the one that wasn't working. I thought he should have volunteered to fix it. Guess I was wrong.

The breakfast was more than I expected. We had "make-your-own" waffles, toast, bagels, english waffles, fruit, cereal. It was pretty good, but not enough sitting room. It was over packed with people and the one lady taking care of the supplies and food coudn't keep up. She needed more help.

BAD: The general appearance of the place seems run down. The walks were very dirty and needed pressure washing. The ice dispenser and soda areas looked dirty as well. The bathroom was very dated. I'm not an orange/peach color fan and tile floor was very cold always.

GOOD: There is an Applebees next door and just around the corner is a CVS to buy snacks, drinks or other items that you forget or want to buy cheaper than in DC. On the Green Metro rail which is good if you are flying into BWI as you can take the B30 Express Bus to the Greenbelt Metro Station and then get off at the next stop for the hotel. The Green Metro line is convenient for going to the Smithsonians.

• Liked — proximity to Metro station
  • Disliked — overal lack of "quality" that I expect from Choic hotels
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pasadena, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2007

First off, I requested a non smoking room when I made my reservation. When I arrived, they was a non smoking tag on the door but that was about as far as it went. Once you entered the room, the smell of smoke was overpowering. One of the bed spreads had a burn hole in it. The sink had numerous burn marks, I guess from people putting their cigaretts there while they were shaving. The place was very unkept and dirty. The room was completely disgusting. I had planned on staying 2 nights, but only stayed one. I slept in my clothes that night. The evening front desk staff was rude at best when I complained about the room. And of course, there is never a manager around when you want to speak to one.
No matter what the price, this is not the place to stay. I think a pig pen is cleaner that the room I was in.
When I returned home, I wrote a letter to the corporate office with my complaints. All they did was say they were sorrying that I didn't have a pleasant stay, and that they hoped we would give them a second chance. That was it. I really wasn't looking for anything, but they could have been just a little more customer friendly.
Do yourself and your family a favor, go to the Holiday Inn up the street a few miles, it will be well worth your piece of mind for cleanliness. That is where I stayed on my second night in town.
But then again, if you like sleeping in a dirty, disgusting, old motel, this is the place for you.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything. The place is a dump
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not, under any circumstances, stay here. You will be sorry.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

Stayed here because it is the closest hotel to Univ of Maryland and I was giving a talk there. The room was reasonably clean but a little old. The breakfast was not very appetizing. The most annoying thing was that there was no Internet available.

• Stayed October 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!