“Great Location - Would Definitely Stay Again” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Great Location - Would Definitely Stay Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We went down for business reasons because my husband attends the Uof Maryland in College Park. The location of the hotel was great in reference to the college. The hotel staff was very accommodating and friendly. There was easy parking and access to the entrances. The hotel restaurant was not that great - overcharged for just average food quality. The room itself was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The only glitch in our stay is that the cable TV was not receiving all channels all the time. After calling the desk to inquire about this, they said this was due to a recent storm and that they are still working to fix the problem. We stayed two nights and the problem was not fixed by the time we left. Despite this minor issue, we would definitely recommend this as one the best places to stay in the College Park area. We would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

This was my second stay at the Holiday Inn in College Park. It wasn't my first choice to stay, but the Hampton Inn, down the street was much more expensive to stay. We stayed here because the rate was very good. Checking in was a little crazy for us. We had trouble finding our room, which was located in Tower 2, and spent ten minutes looking for it. We dragged ourselves back to the desk, got better directions and found our room. Even though our room was a non smoking room, it stank of cigarettes. We dragged ourselves back to the main desk. They apologized for all the problems we encountered. We were given another room, which was fine. The only thing I would have appreciated was if the desk clerk , who checked us in, gave us either an upgraded room or a free breakfast. for all the annoyances we encountered. That would have been good business.

To be honest, I would prefer the Hampton Inn over the Holiday Inn, but it depends on what rate you get. We don't spend too much time in our room,, so I don't know if I can rationalize spending more than $50 more to stay at the Hampton. I think the Hampton inflates their prices when they know there are events at University of Maryalnd.

• Liked — The price of the room
  • Disliked — The public spaces and exterior could use an update
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

The Holiday Inn - College Park Maryland is not great, but its a decent hotel. The things that I liked:
1) Free shuttle which will take you within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. All the drivers were pretty nice as well. There really isn't to much directly around the hotel to go to besides a few places to eat (recommend Potbelly) & a furniture store (IKEA can be interesting if you have never been).
2) Front office staff was fairly nice & tried to be helpful.
3) The room was clean however the decorum was horrendeous. Who for the love of God thought yellow flower print comfortors/drapes looked good? By the way the carpeting needs to be updated. Also, the tv reception was kinda poor.

Things I didn't like:
1) Bathroom in the room -needed more counter space, bathtub drained terribly slow & the toilet makes a weird noise.
2) Laundry room - One small washer/dryer for guest laundry. Washer didnt work that great. I had to clean the dryer lint out of the dryer before I used it.
3)The quality of some of the guests. Second night staying here had the guest from Hell, who decided to play music and scream- sing all night keeping me up & I had to constantly call the front desk. The front desk called the police, so I think the psycho checked out early.
4)Booked room in advance, so I saved a little bit of money. However for the price I paid you still expect a liitle more (complimentary breakfasts, laundry rooms with working wash machines, etc).

Overall, this isn't one of the best hotels that you can stay at for your money, but it will do in a pinch for a 3-5 day stay in Baltimore or DC.

Stayed August 2008
Upland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

We booked this hotel primarily because it was the only hotel available near the University of Maryland at which our children were attending a history competition. We really didn't expect much. The rooms were okay, but the service more than made up for it. We called about our TV not working and they had it fixed in no time. Their shuttle service was outstanding - anytime between 7 am and 11 pm they'll take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. The staff was friendly as well. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the restaurant. We had breakfast there one day. Food was just okay and took a long time to come.

• Liked — The value and the free shuttle service
  • Disliked — Room needed updating
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

I chose to stay at this hotel based on the #1 rating on this site. Boy was I disappointed. My second night there, water leaked from the ceiling. I called for assistance, and maintenance promptly brought me a bucket! That's it. When I booked the hotel, I was promised and relied on a wheelchair so that my mother wouldn't have to walk all around D.C. Didn't notice until we got to DC that the wheelchair they provided had no foot rests, so it couldn't be used, unless she could hold her feet in the air all day. When I told the front desk, they said that's all they have. Also, maid was rude whenever we asked her for anything. Breakfast buffet is lousy, clam chowder is the worst I've ever had. Steak dinner wasn't hot. The bar was good, however. Drinks and food there was quite good and the bartender/waitresses nice.

• Liked — shuttle to the metro
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

I suspect you've been at a hotel that hosts a lot of conferences. They all seem to have a pool, an exercise room, a restaurant and of course conference facilities. This is one of those hotels. The rooms were average and without any problems or flaws.

All in all this was a nice hotel. The hotel gets a lot (and I mean a lot) of traffic from schools, etc. using the hotel as a launch point to Washington. But the traffic wasn't problematic; the hotel staff seem to handle the traffic well.

While "sticker shock" may make you gasp, the price is on par with what you'd expect in the DC region. Spend less and you find yourself in what appears to be a low-end discount hotel. En route to this hotel from Michigan, I stayed at a hotel was as at least as nice for half the price. But of course, this hotel wasn't in the DC region.

While it is possible to get around via hotel shuttle, I would think you'd really want a car when staying at this hotel.

• Liked — No complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

I spent 2 nights at the Holiday Inn for UM Graduation. I wasn't expecting much, but got even less. The room that I requested be close to the lobby was some distance- and I was with someone who has difficulty walking far. The front desk attendant who checked me in was probably there for a week. She had to keep asking the other person there what to do about my reservation because there was a rate change from one night to the next. They even made us- and the rest of the group we were with -check out and in again on the second day. Our rate included breakfast which was convenient- but awful, unless you like cardboard eggs. The best thing were the waffles, but there was usually a line to get them. Then they charged us again for the breakfast and I had to wait forever for them to correct the situation. Had they simply suggested I go have breakfast and come back I would have been happier. As I stood waiting for the clerk to return I was "barked" at by the other attendant t hat it would be taken care of. They should have some customer service training. I expected more courtesy -even from a Holiday Inn. If I ever need to be in that area again I would rather drive farther than stay at The Holiday Inn.

• Liked — It was close to University of Maryland
  • Disliked — They ran out of sheets and had a discourteous front desk
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Washington College Park? Share your experiences!