“Adequate for Business travel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in College Park
Mayaguez
“Adequate for Business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed here for three nights. This is not a luxury hotel, but a good place to travel while in business. The room was clean, and my bed was very comfortable. I did not have problems with the heating or air conditioning, it was in fact operating well and quietly. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no noise from the highway, which is very close to the hotel. In addition, we used the hotel business rooms which were very adequate for our activity. The hotel served lunch and dinner for our activity and I did not hear of any complaints. The hotel has also a bar/restaurant with a pool table and good beer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kevin G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you kindly for your review! We do appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback and we are pleased to hear that you had a great stay. We hope to see you again on next business trip to the Washington DC area.

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here because our daughter and son-in-law live up the street and we were visiting for Thanksgiving. Thank goodness we didn't spend any time in the room except to sleep! First of all, the rooms are dark and dingy. Can't even see what's in your suitcase with all the lights on.

Our heat/AC made all kinds of noises during the day and when we put it on sleep mode on 70 degrees it felt like 80 and we were in a sauna.

BTW, who ever heard of a hotel doing a continental breakfast just because it's Thanksgiving day??? The continental breakfast that day was weak at best.

The next day when my husband looked for a cup of coffee one of the desk people told him to go to the Moose Creek restaurant for their breakfast. There are 2 star restaurants that have complimentary coffee.

I can't say the rest of the room was any better either. I agree with the other reviewers there is no room for any of your toiletries in the bathroom and it looks like it could use some updating like the rest of the room.

I'll be going back to the Hampton Inn my next visit even if I have to spend the extra money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HICP, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations on your recent visit. We are looking into some shelving in our first tower which is the rooms that have the limited counter space. Our Tower Two Rooms have bigger bathroom and more counter space.

Our complimentary coffee is in our restaurant area, so very sorry for the confusion, if you would like to call me directly I will ensure of your room accommodation on your next visit to the area.

We are sorry we let you down.
Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I traveled to Maryland to attend a conference at the University of Maryland and stayed at this hotel due to it's close proximity to the college. From check in to check out the staff was extremely friendly and the service was professional. Lisa and Kylie answered all our questions and made the stay enjoyable.

The rooms are clean but a little outdated and need more lights. The lobby has numerous couches to sit in with your colleagues.

The hotel provides a shuttle service to the university but it only can take a handful of guests at a time. This could cause a problem if you do not reserve the shuttle in advance. We faced that predicament and ordered a taxi. However, the taxi did not show up and we were going to be late. When we expressed our concerns to the front desk they just kept exceeding themselves - Michael drove us, in his own car, to the college so we would not be late.

The staff was wonderful and made our trip remarkable.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
We are so very happy that you enjoyed your stay on your recent visit to our property.

We thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review and hope that your future travels will bring you back to us, thanks again and we appreciate your business.

Hospitably Yours
Barrow, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very old hotel with more wear than new. On the dirty side as well. Rooms were just more of the same. Worn and old. The tv and furniture was newer, but the grime took away from relaxing. Bathroom was clean-like but clearly just had the once over. The bathroom lacks any place to put your personal belongings other than the toilet...yuck! Noise level from all sides of the room were terrible as we heard everything. Staff was typical for 3 stars with a rushed check in that made sure to quickly get through the required bullet points. Expect to walk as parking is horrible and in the dark.

Room Tip: There are plenty of similar 3 star hotels around. Go to a newer holt as this just has a clean and n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Fuzzi B,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room condition, bathroom arrangement and parking. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while in town for a lacrosse tournament. The rooms were great. Very clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodated the needs of parents and 25 players. The restaurant was also good. Location near 495 made travel very easy.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and they placed us in tower 2 which worked great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. We hope you enjoyed the tournament and hope to see you again next year, Thanks for choosing our hotel and we appreciate your business

Kind Regards
Vail, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I travel frequently and regularly on business, at least 2 or 3 times a month, and stay at a wide variety of hotels, depending on the proximity to the client's location. For a trip in late October I was booked at the Holiday Inn Washington College Park and spent about a week there.

On balance, there is nothing seriously bad about this hotel. The staff is friendly and responsive, housekeeping thorough and prompt. The rooms have fridges and microwaves and (at least in my room) the bathroom was fully upgraded to include marble floors and a broad, wide granite countertop. I don't watch much television, but what little I did watch on the wide-screen TV was good enough. The only complaint about my room? The carpet was positively filthy. After a few minutes of walking around on the carpet with white socks, the soles were noticeably soiled. Needless to say, I didn't dare walk barefoot in my room unless I could help it.

The areas that this hotels primarily suffers in are not the fault of the management or staff - it's the ownership, I suppose. The building is old as the hills, and it shows just about everywhere. The hotel was originally built in the early '70s and it's evident throughout. The carpeting and furniture have a weird sort of retro design that borders on "what yard sale did that come from?", and although the bed was very comfortable in my room, the rest of the furniture was the old, dark, heavy kind that you might have found in your grandmother's guest basement room. Not terribly inviting, and a bit depressing when you combine it with the already dark carpeting in the rooms.

The wireless Internet was ridiculously slow. Usable for very basic purposes, but not necessarily reliable for business activities. I had to transfer a relatively small file to our company's servers and it took ten lifetimes to finish. Also, there is no business center.

Attached to the hotel is a restaurant called the Moose Creek Steak House. My work colleague and I tried the steak - it was not objectionable, but nothing to write home about. The restaurant staff are friendly but the service is spotty and sometimes slow. For example, I walked in for breakfast one morning, well after the restaurant had opened, and there were customers at tables but no staff to be found. So I just located a table on my own and helped myself. They eventually showed up - about the time I was almost through with breakfast from the buffet, and I asked for the check. Overall, I'd give the restaurant a less than average rating for both food quality and service. There are other options even within walking distance of the hotel - IKEA has a restaurant, and across the street is a Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle, and some others.

There is an indoor pool, but I didn't use it and have no comment.

So, overall, it's a mixed bag. I would stay there again (and I am, next week for two nights), but not necessarily because I choose to (sometimes I can select my hotel, sometimes I can't). The staff is nice, the bed is comfortable, the bathroom was remodeled - but the remodeling kind of stops there with the old, dark furniture and dark, dirty carpeting.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if all the rooms have remodeled bathrooms, so you might want to ask for that to be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear MrDiesel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because of the convenient location near the Beltway. The setup of the hotel is confusing. There are 3 towers, all connected but trying to navigate to my room was no easy task. You go in one door & can't get to your tower unless you go up some stairs & find the right set of elevators. The room was clean but there is no place to put your things in the bathroom. There is NO counter space in there & even the top of the toilet is rounded so my stuff kept falling onto the floor. That was annoying. Will go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington College Park, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear DCfr0mDC,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you were satisfied with our convenient location. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced with our facilities. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Washington College Park? Share your experiences!