“Buyer beware!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

Orbitz.com Expedia.com
Clarion Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8601 Baltimore Avenue, College Park, MD 20740 (Formerly Best College Park Inn & Fundome)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in College Park
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Buyer beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This place is a dump. The rooms are filthy, the staff are just weird and not helpful. Don't be fooled by the advertisement of pool and jacuzzi. The manager keeps it closed so you are paying only to look at it. There are plenty of nice hotels around here, don't be fooled by the false advertising and photos. I have never turned down a free breakfast but this one was inedible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
collegeparkinn, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest :
I am sorry that we could not live upto your expectiations. We strive for satisfaction for all our guests. I am sure that if you were disattisfied with your stay or room we could have corrected that for you. The pool is on winter hours with clearly posted hours at the pool gate. The county requires us to have a lifeguard present during the time that a pool is open. Otherwise i would be more than glad to let you use a facility that is already present in the hotel.
We have an eloborate coplimentary continental breakfast with eggs, waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit and juices with the donuts, muffins , breads and cereal. Starting in feburary you will be also be able to purchase made to order breakfast at all Clarion Hotels. I will review your report with my staff so that we make sure that all guests leave satisfied.

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This inn is the best in the area and is located in a good spot. Everything is close by, next time I am In Maryland I will stay here again. Breakfast was ok. Pool was great. Restaurant has good selection but tables were dirty and floor was super sticky

• Stayed December 2012
College Park, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This place has an amazing karaoke bar on Thursday nights! A large variety of songs to choose from and great people! I've been going for the karaoke nights for a while now and I always have a great time! It's never too crowded which is great. The atmosphere is relaxed and there is free parking right in the compound! Definitely a must-do activity in College Park atleast once!

-SP

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is definately an average hotel. I have been a number of times escorting a school group on a trip to Washington DC. The hotel works well since it has a good size open area for students to congregate and enjoy the pool, pool table, shuffleboard and single hole minigolf. The hotel staff is friendly and the hotel has made some upgrades in recent years. The rooms are basic but clean, yet showing some wear. A visitor to the area could do better with a hotel closer to the city if thats their goal but if visiting the U of M then this would work.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool area are likely to be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
collegeparkinn, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Sir:
We appreciate your reviewing our hotel. We have recently renovated all our public areas and have renovated about 70% of our guest rooms. The remaining 30% of the rooms will be refreshed in the spring of 2013.
We entertain lots of school groups and families in this hotel who come in to visit Washington DC. for whom the fundome is indeed an ideal place to mix and mingle and have a great relaxing time.
Due to our complimentary shuttle to the Metro,complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and free parking it makes it quite affordable to stay in this area compared to much closer to the city. We look forward to serving you back in the near future.

CLERMONT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked the room PRIOR to reading TripAdvisor. Mistake. But to our surprise this is a very nice hotel. There are pros & cons to every hotel but Miss M. at the front desk needs a personality transformation. Rude & agressive. We avoided her at all costs & waited until she went off duty to conduct any further business We found Azul & April. What a delight. Both were extremely helpful & cheery. Our room was an inside but not by the pool in the back. Clean, neat. Sheets were soft & they offered 4 pillows for different tastes. Mattresses were soft & comfy. The rug seemed just cleaned. We also had a microwave & frig. Nice surprise. One negative to the bathroom was the air vent has not been cleaned in quite some time.
The pool area was a bit over kill on the clorine. And, why is there a lifeguard? The pool is heavily locked until 4pm. Why? If I want to swim at noon..well I want to swim. Not be locked out.
A huge plus was the shuttle to the Metro. On time both ways.
My negatives are only meant to be helpful. We very much liked the hotel. We felt safe, comfortable. It was quiet & on a main street off the highway. Never did we feel uncomfortable or unsafe as others previously mentioned. Which leads me to believe this hotel made some major changes. Thank you if you did. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest :
We thank you for your kind review to our hotel. We have renovated the hotel a lot this year with replacing carpet in all public areas. We also have remodeled about 40% of our rooms with more refresh coming in spring 2013.
I have shared your review with my staff, so that all memebers of my staff can give the excellent service that we strive for. We also have micorwaves and fridges available on request and strive to provide it to all guest who need one. Also our county code requires us to have a life gaurd on duty whenever the pool is open. So all the hotels in the area tend to co-ordinate the hours of the life gaurds with the time the pool is used mostly. We also wish that you can avail of our facility whenever you wish to, but at the current time we ask that you check with the front desk about our hours the pool is open.
We appreciate you staying at the Clarion Inn and Fundome and look forward to serving you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has been the biggest surprise during my traveling across America so far. I stayed with my friends here and everything was superb. One night costs about 20 bucks in case you use a coupon. Personnel is really nice and helpful, you can use free lift to few locations in College Park such is a subway station. Rooms are really clean and equal to 4 stars hotels. Pool is kinda small but still better than nothing. Breakfast was fine, laundry is also there. Simply great hotel for surprisingly little money.

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for seven nights and had two different experiences based on two different rooms. When I arrived there the first night, I was very unhappy with the hotel and the room, but I had been traveling all day and I was too tired to do anything about it. That room was on the outside of the hotel and was dirty, smelled like cigarette smoke and the garbage that was piled up outside of the room, was extremely noisy because of the very busy street it was located on and hence I had a terrible sleep. The next morning I wanted to change hotels but really liked the location to the university, so decided to give it one more chance and asked to change rooms. I was moved inside,overlooking the pool and this room was better. The main noise here came from the pool but that closed at 10pm so was manageable. The room needed updating but was cleaner then the other room. I would recommend this hotel based on the second room and for the people that work there (they were very nice and very helpful) and for the location, but all in all, it was not the best hotel I have ever stayed at. It needs to be totally cleaned-up, overhauled and updated. There are better hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and ask for a room inside. The rooms outside, facing the street are noisy, dirty...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!