“Best inn Around here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8601 Baltimore Avenue, College Park, MD 20740 (Formerly Best College Park Inn & Fundome)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in College Park
New York City, New York
“Best inn Around here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This inn is the best in the area and is located in a good spot. Everything is close by, next time I am In Maryland I will stay here again. Breakfast was ok. Pool was great. Restaurant has good selection but tables were dirty and floor was super sticky

• Stayed December 2012

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
College Park, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This place has an amazing karaoke bar on Thursday nights! A large variety of songs to choose from and great people! I've been going for the karaoke nights for a while now and I always have a great time! It's never too crowded which is great. The atmosphere is relaxed and there is free parking right in the compound! Definitely a must-do activity in College Park atleast once!

-SP

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is definately an average hotel. I have been a number of times escorting a school group on a trip to Washington DC. The hotel works well since it has a good size open area for students to congregate and enjoy the pool, pool table, shuffleboard and single hole minigolf. The hotel staff is friendly and the hotel has made some upgrades in recent years. The rooms are basic but clean, yet showing some wear. A visitor to the area could do better with a hotel closer to the city if thats their goal but if visiting the U of M then this would work.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool area are likely to be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
collegeparkinn, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Sir:
We appreciate your reviewing our hotel. We have recently renovated all our public areas and have renovated about 70% of our guest rooms. The remaining 30% of the rooms will be refreshed in the spring of 2013.
We entertain lots of school groups and families in this hotel who come in to visit Washington DC. for whom the fundome is indeed an ideal place to mix and mingle and have a great relaxing time.
Due to our complimentary shuttle to the Metro,complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and free parking it makes it quite affordable to stay in this area compared to much closer to the city. We look forward to serving you back in the near future.
Sincerely

Bobby Shah
GM
CLERMONT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked the room PRIOR to reading TripAdvisor. Mistake. But to our surprise this is a very nice hotel. There are pros & cons to every hotel but Miss M. at the front desk needs a personality transformation. Rude & agressive. We avoided her at all costs & waited until she went off duty to conduct any further business We found Azul & April. What a delight. Both were extremely helpful & cheery. Our room was an inside but not by the pool in the back. Clean, neat. Sheets were soft & they offered 4 pillows for different tastes. Mattresses were soft & comfy. The rug seemed just cleaned. We also had a microwave & frig. Nice surprise. One negative to the bathroom was the air vent has not been cleaned in quite some time.
The pool area was a bit over kill on the clorine. And, why is there a lifeguard? The pool is heavily locked until 4pm. Why? If I want to swim at noon..well I want to swim. Not be locked out.
A huge plus was the shuttle to the Metro. On time both ways.
My negatives are only meant to be helpful. We very much liked the hotel. We felt safe, comfortable. It was quiet & on a main street off the highway. Never did we feel uncomfortable or unsafe as others previously mentioned. Which leads me to believe this hotel made some major changes. Thank you if you did. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest :
We thank you for your kind review to our hotel. We have renovated the hotel a lot this year with replacing carpet in all public areas. We also have remodeled about 40% of our rooms with more refresh coming in spring 2013.
I have shared your review with my staff, so that all memebers of my staff can give the excellent service that we strive for. We also have micorwaves and fridges available on request and strive to provide it to all guest who need one. Also our county code requires us to have a life gaurd on duty whenever the pool is open. So all the hotels in the area tend to co-ordinate the hours of the life gaurds with the time the pool is used mostly. We also wish that you can avail of our facility whenever you wish to, but at the current time we ask that you check with the front desk about our hours the pool is open.
We appreciate you staying at the Clarion Inn and Fundome and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Sincerely
Bobby Shah
GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has been the biggest surprise during my traveling across America so far. I stayed with my friends here and everything was superb. One night costs about 20 bucks in case you use a coupon. Personnel is really nice and helpful, you can use free lift to few locations in College Park such is a subway station. Rooms are really clean and equal to 4 stars hotels. Pool is kinda small but still better than nothing. Breakfast was fine, laundry is also there. Simply great hotel for surprisingly little money.

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for seven nights and had two different experiences based on two different rooms. When I arrived there the first night, I was very unhappy with the hotel and the room, but I had been traveling all day and I was too tired to do anything about it. That room was on the outside of the hotel and was dirty, smelled like cigarette smoke and the garbage that was piled up outside of the room, was extremely noisy because of the very busy street it was located on and hence I had a terrible sleep. The next morning I wanted to change hotels but really liked the location to the university, so decided to give it one more chance and asked to change rooms. I was moved inside,overlooking the pool and this room was better. The main noise here came from the pool but that closed at 10pm so was manageable. The room needed updating but was cleaner then the other room. I would recommend this hotel based on the second room and for the people that work there (they were very nice and very helpful) and for the location, but all in all, it was not the best hotel I have ever stayed at. It needs to be totally cleaned-up, overhauled and updated. There are better hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and ask for a room inside. The rooms outside, facing the street are noisy, dirty...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Yuk. This place gave me the creeps. Questionable area. Pillows smelled REALLY bad. So did the mattresses - I was afraid to roll over because it would renew the odor. Stained blankets & icky bedspreads. Motel air unit made room extremely hot or cold all night. No exhaust fan in bathroom. The place was doused with a strong air freshener- later we realized it was to cover the smell of mildew. The place looked like it had been fixed up by a low level handyman who purchased leftovers from some overstock store like Big Lots, Ollies or even Goodwill. Lamp shades were frayed & some light bulbs were burnt out. I was afraid our car would be broken into overnight. Did not like the outside entrances - door was dented & was hard to close. Questionable people loitering around. We put a chair in front of it so no one could break in overnight. Some rooms looked to have permanent residents. Seriously, this place was a total dump. I was angry we had prepaid on Expedia and checked in after the cancellation deadline because we would have cancelled if we could. Continental breakfast was inedible. Hard boiled eggs tasted like they had been in the fridge for weeks (I spit the first bite out & had to eat something else to get rid of the bad taste). 2 cereals - both stale. Only thing edible was the prepackaged Activia yogurt.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!