“Great People and Great Food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 99 Restaurants in College Park
Cuisines: Seafood, Fish & Chips, Sandwiches
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great People and Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My daughter loves the fish sticks. Which are more like fish nuggets, lovely little jewels of lightly fried fresh fish. We bring along tartar sauce. The house selections are nice but a little too exotic for her palate (mine too). The Fish taco is perfection as served. Even our non fish eater enjoyed it.
Sunday Brunch is also very good. The pancakes are light and slightly sweet served with turkey bacon. This makes a fine meal. Two of our party had the egg breakfast. Both said it was good and the raved about the wheat toast. We give the Fish Net four and a half stars out of five. One half star was withheld due to the condiment issue.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bethesda, Maryland
“enjoy the soft shell crabs when they're around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

FishNet's soft shells are a quick-fried delight on ciabatta roll smeared with a not-too-hot, not-too-sweet red pepper sauce. Never greasy, just packed with crunch and tender meat.

• Visited June 2012
Bowie
“Hit or Miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stopped in shortly after they opened several months (nearly a year?) ago--well after I had stopped eating fish (the last "food with a face"that I had hung onto for years after giving up meat and poultry) and become a "true" vegetarian. I was told I had to try a falafel, and thought this would be as good a place as any to "test the waters," if you will. I was pleasantly surprised by the generously stacked, delicious falafel sandwich that greeted my tastebuds with love in every bite.

Naturally, I went back again to re-experience this culinary high. The second time I was thoroughly disappointed. The sandwich lacked lettuce, tomato, sauce, and any taste to speak of. Sadly, it was accompanied by a soggy, inedible batch of french fries (how tragic to find fries inedible!). At $8 a pop, I will not return to see if the third time's a charm. Falafel me once...apparently.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Simple Seafood by an owner who cares about quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We saw the review of Fishnet in the Washingtonian magazine and decided to check this place out. We live in DC and normally don't frequent anything in College Park, but I was glad that I did.

The menu of the day's fish is on a blackboard and the owner let us know what was available. Several of the fish had come in that day from abroad. I don't remember the types of fish, but remember Canada and Scotland. Regardless, things are fresh here.

We both had Soft shell crab sandwiches and were glad we did. The presentation is done simply, on circular, metal trays, but the sandwich is put together with care. Sometimes the bread at restaurants is an afterthought, but this certainly wasn't the case here.

The sandwich didn't fill us up and since everyone around us was eating the fish tacos, we decided to share one. Really great choice!

The fries we ordered were soggy, but I was able to overlook this as the fish and experience were so good.

I was expecting my bill to be cheaper, but I did order the most expensive item on the menu at $16, which isn't bad. You're ordering from a counter and I always get confused if you're supposed to give a tip when you don't have a waiter. Anyway, I loved this place and we'll be back (likely tomorrow).

• Visited April 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“glorious fish tacos and lobster rolls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I am hooked on FishNet's simple, yet flavorful fare, swinging by on those evenings when I'm dining solo and too exhausted to rummage through cabinets and the fridge at home. Grown particularly fond of the fish tacos--thick strips of fish and a red cabbage slaw rolled in flour tortillas; and I cover the days when lobster outlasts the lunch crowd and can be snuggled in a thick piece of white bread for me to take home with a side of perfect golden fries.

• Visited March 2012