“Simple Seafood by an owner who cares about quality” 4 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #28 of 92 restaurants in College Park
Cuisines: Seafood, Fish & Chips, Sandwiches
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Simple Seafood by an owner who cares about quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We saw the review of Fishnet in the Washingtonian magazine and decided to check this place out. We live in DC and normally don't frequent anything in College Park, but I was glad that I did.

The menu of the day's fish is on a blackboard and the owner let us know what was available. Several of the fish had come in that day from abroad. I don't remember the types of fish, but remember Canada and Scotland. Regardless, things are fresh here.

We both had Soft shell crab sandwiches and were glad we did. The presentation is done simply, on circular, metal trays, but the sandwich is put together with care. Sometimes the bread at restaurants is an afterthought, but this certainly wasn't the case here.

The sandwich didn't fill us up and since everyone around us was eating the fish tacos, we decided to share one. Really great choice!

The fries we ordered were soggy, but I was able to overlook this as the fish and experience were so good.

I was expecting my bill to be cheaper, but I did order the most expensive item on the menu at $16, which isn't bad. You're ordering from a counter and I always get confused if you're supposed to give a tip when you don't have a waiter. Anyway, I loved this place and we'll be back (likely tomorrow).

• Visited April 2012

55% Recommend
College Park, Maryland
“glorious fish tacos and lobster rolls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I am hooked on FishNet's simple, yet flavorful fare, swinging by on those evenings when I'm dining solo and too exhausted to rummage through cabinets and the fridge at home. Grown particularly fond of the fish tacos--thick strips of fish and a red cabbage slaw rolled in flour tortillas; and I cover the days when lobster outlasts the lunch crowd and can be snuggled in a thick piece of white bread for me to take home with a side of perfect golden fries.

• Visited March 2012
“Good, simple seafood.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012 via mobile

Real fresh fish is hard to find. Two meals here have been good, and I hope folks find this place. Preparation is excellent, the meals were very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
New Carrollton, MD
“The tastiest fish sandwich anywhere around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I tried this restaurant for lunch yesterday after reading about it on the Washington Post's web site (Tom Sietsema's picks) and I was very pleased with the quality of the food, the cleanliness of the restaurant, and the nice quiet location. Although it was my first visit, I am quite sure that I will go back anytime I have a hunger for the freshest fish served with the perfect seasonings. I had the Mahi Mahi sandwich seasoned with Turkish Tartar served over a kind of focaccia bread whose name escapes me at the moment. The fish was moist, it had a nice light flavor and the Turkish Tartar complemented, not smothered, the flavor of the fish. The hand-cut fries were also quite tasty. I know the fish is fresh because I saw one of the chefs bringing in a whole fish into the kitchen where it was then prepped for cooking.

The menu is not extensive, but I think this is smart. It is better to do a few things very well than it is to do many things with mediocre results. If you like fish, there is something there for you. Expect to pay between $10-$15 for your meal with a side and a beverage. The restaurant is very clean and outdoor seating is available for good weather days. If you are in a hurry, it may be wise to call ahead because everything is cooked to order and it takes time to prepare the food. The neighborhood is very quiet since it is mainly a residential neighborhood that is nicely tucked away from the usual College Park crowds. Street parking is available, but you have to obey the 2 hour limit and you may have to hunt for a spot.

Give this place a try and you will not be disappointed!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
College Park, Maryland
“my new favorite fries and amazing fish sandwiches and sticks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Tucked a few blocks away from both Rt. 1 and Rt. 193 in College Park, not far from the Rhode Island Avenue bike path, In the building that once housed Berwyn Cafe, a pinnacle of pescatarian indulgence emerged; and I was hooked on the first bite. One orders at the counter or calls ahead and gets neatly packaged carry-out or table delivery of the most craving-worthy fresh, made-to-order fish I have ever had. The menu is small to help maintain quality in a tiny kitchen--fish sandwiches, fish sticks, burgers, sides of amazing fries, cole slaw, and salads, and the Holy Grail of lobster sliders (hurry! they don't last for long!) ....and all of the fish, meats, and produce are fresh from the morning's market.

Once an item is sold out for the day, that's it. I had a grilled calamari sandiwch on my first visit that left me wanting for more, but now I'm making the rounds of other fish til I spy calamari back on the menu. Fortunately, the homemade sauces never run dry, with the most memorable being a "Turkish tartar" made from ground walnuts and spices.

Just as important as the food for me, FishNet represents one couple's desire to bring a more homey and less cookie-cutter spin to "fast casual" eating in College Park. I'm eager to see what else they have in store for us as the months go by!

• Visited January 2012