“Burgers were good, but there weren't enough choices” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 99 Restaurants in College Park
Cuisines: American
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Burgers were good, but there weren't enough choices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I love upscale burger places and was craving something grilled for Labor Day, but this fell short of many other similar restaurants that I've had. The food was good, but there weren't enough choices and a bit too expensive for what it is. The milkshakes are tiny for $5 and and burgers only alright.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
College Park, MD
“No longer new, no longer on their best behaviour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The burger with salad was still very good, but the last time I was there, there were piles and piles of dirty dishes all over the place making finding a good clean place to sit impossible. I mentioned this to a manager who ignored me. The last times we *tried* to go there we couldn't; the center has a miserably tiny parking area, with only four handicapped parking spots (you have to pay for) which have been full every time. Drove around and around the little tiny narrow space and gave up in frustration.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Cannot believe Bobby has his name on this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Medium burger came raw on one side. We would have sent it back but it took forever to get served in the first place. Fries were overcooked, cold, and about one inch long. Onion rings were absolutely disgusting.....greasy and rubbery at the same time. The vanilla shake was good. The 'give the customers a number for their table' does not work. We watched servers wander for 4 mins looking for who's order they had (surely was cold by the time they arrived). Need a glass wall between casino and restaurant to cut down on the noise level. Liked the decor. Very surprised that this place belongs to Bobby Flay.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious - one of the best burgers around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I admit, I was prepared not to like BBP. As a student in College Park I had heard it was not good, and frankly not worth the walk off campus. Couldn't have been more wrong. There is a new manager there, sent down by corporate, so clearly they understood some issues that were going on.

The food was delicious, and served quickly. The three of us had a variety of burgers, all great, and the sweet potato fries and onion rings. Yum yum yum. To even mention 5 guys in the same breath is an insult - for sure, there is a place for 5 guys good fast food burger, but this is much much better quality.

I'd try it again, for sure. Interesting to know if my positive was the fluke, or if the negatives have been worked out.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mayberry
“Horrifying Actions!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I am writting a review here because the review I wrote directly on the Bobby Flay's site was removed withinh 1/2 of me posting it. I am horrified that this happened to my friend and I felt I had to post a copy of the letter that her mom wrote to the restaurant about their experience here so they cannot erase it, like they did to my original post.

Her mom was visiting her and she surprised her mom by taking her to her favorite Chef's restaurant, Bobby Flay. No one has the right to treat other people this way because of their weight or any other reason!!! Here is the letter her mom wrote to the restaurant:

"We are avid fans of Bobby Flay’s programs on the Food Network and admire his expertise and integrity. That’s why I think he would like to know about the shocking experience my daughter and I had at the Burger Palace in College Park, Maryland a few weeks ago.

While the hostess and server were friendly and helpful and the décor inviting, the cook staff were discriminatory and extremely unprofessional. The cook staff made lewd gestures and facial expressions to my daughter as if grabbing her butt, spanking and screwing her. Incredulously, they were all laughing and gesturing to my daughter repeatedly. She became extremely upset and we called for the manager.

Chris Van Hook (the manager) apologized in a very soft tone and barely made eye contact with us. The cook (named Lavar) came out and stood very close to my daughter and tried to deny everything and said that we misunderstood their gestures. We were appalled and humiliated. I asked Lavar to step away since my daughter was shaking.

I spoke again to Chris and asked did he understand what took place here? I explained this behavior should not be tolerated. Did he know that sexual harassment is a legal offense? One word to the chamber of commerce, local food bloggers and newspapers would reflect negatively on this restaurant and Bobby’s reputation.

I then asked Chris what he intends to do. I receive another meek apology (no eye contact). Chris said that he would talk to his superior. He then offered a gift card with more apologies. I asked again if he had specific action steps to make sure this incident was reported and taken seriously. He did not offer any steps or indicate that Lavar would be reprimanded or terminated. We couldn’t eat our food that we had paid for. I left a tip for the server who was also upset. I smiled to her saying she did a good job, but to be careful.

To make matters worse, as we were walked around the back of the building to the public parking lot, we saw Lavar again repeating the story with gestures to his friends who we had seen seated at a back table in the restaurant.

I don’t know if restaurant managers receive employment law training or if HR policies are in place for Burger Palace, but this is egregious conduct and puts your company in legal jeopardy.

I am not a vindictive person and believe Bobby would do the right thing. Chris should be made aware of his responsibilities and told that as an agent of the company he can be personally named in a law suit. I also recommend that Chris place Lavar on probation and assure that he and all employees understand and follow the employee conduct and sexual harassment policies.

I would appreciate a reply.

Madeline"

i am trully sorry this happened to her and hope that this jerk never sees this kind of discrimination happening to his, sister, friend or daughter. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a disgusting human being!!

• Visited June 2012