“Loved It!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in College Park
Bridgton, Maine
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed here for a week while visiting the sites in Washington, DC. We chose this hotel because it was the only hotel in our price range that was close to the Metro, had free parking, had a free breakfast, free wi-fi and an indoor pool. We were traveling with my husband's parents. There were 8 of us total and we booked two separate double bed rooms. We thought we might have two of our children sleep in with the grandparents, but for a family vacation we didn't like the idea of them in a separate room. So, we brought along two camping cots and while it was tight when they were set up at bed time, it worked for us. As advertised, the room had a microwave and a fridge which was nice.

I was really impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. I am always on the look out for peeling wall paper, mold, and dirt/grime and found none in either room or in the halls or lobby. The towels were super white and very absorbent and the sheets and bedding were also super white and clean. We were on the fourth floor and the elevators were fairly efficient. They posted an updated weather forecast in the elevators daily.

The breakfast was good and saved us a ton of money. Every morning they had a regular, decaf, and bold roasted coffee. They also had hot cocoa and a variety of teas. They had orange juice, cranberry juice, 2 % or skim milk and pitchers of ice water. They always had some fruit salad, oranges, apples, and bananas. They had a variety of small boxed cereals, yogurts, and oatmeal to choose from. There was always something hot. One day was kielbasa, home fries and a breakfast pizza bagel, another day was sausages and home fries, another day was cheese omelets and home fries, one morning was french toast sticks, home fries and sausages. They had small assorted danish, muffins, bagels and breads. My only recommendation would be that they have a microwave here to warm up the muffins and danish and maybe invest in one more toaster to speed things along. Unlike some places that discourage you from taking food out of the eating area, this hotel had bagged breakfasts to grab if you were in a hurry or you could make something to go and eat in your room. The ladies at the breakfast area were constantly replenishing and cleaning. I was impressed with their work ethic and friendliness.

The pool was open from 10 am - 10 pm on the weekends. During the week it was open from 5 pm - 10 pm. It is staffed with a lifeguard. The first day we went (daytime on a Saturday), there was a very large group (20 +/-) of youngsters in the pool. It was very crowded and loud. My children didn't want to go back. We talked them into going back in the early evening the next day and it was much quieter with just a couple of other families there. We went back at this time every night after that and found it to be just as quiet or more quiet. I don't care to swim much, but I did swim on several evenings. The water was nice and warm. The pool isn't huge, but it was still very relaxing and enjoyable.

We found the staff at this hotel to be among some of the best we have encountered in a hotel. I already mentioned the hard working ladies in the breakfast area. We shared an elevator ride with two cleaning staff and they were very friendly. We needed to have maintenance come to our room for a toilet issue and he was excellent and friendly too. The front desk staff remembered my in-laws by name and would ask them about their day.

My in-laws had some Chinese food from the plaza across the street and enjoyed it. There was a pizza hut, Subway, Burger King and McDonalds on the same strip as the hotel. We shopped at the grocery store a couple of times and they had what we needed. There was Dunkin Donuts across the street and an IHOP in the same complex. One evening we went to IHOP for dinner and the service and food were good.

The Greenbelt Metro was one exit away from the hotel. The lot was never full or even close to full the three times we used it. It took about 30 minutes to get to DC, but we knew that it would take us that much time when we booked the hotel and we were okay with that. It was worth our time to save $50+ on our hotel room. We drove into the city three times as well. It took between 30-50 minutes each time - Again it was worth our time since we saved money on the accommodations.

Overall, if we found ourselves heading to this area again, we wouldn't think twice about staying here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hollins, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I regularly stay at Hampton Inns, but this was my first visit at this hotel. I found it to be an average Hampton Inn - nothing particularly exceptional to report, good or bad.

We assumed, incorrectly, that the hotel provided a shuttle to the Metrorail, but they do not (our fault for not checking). It is over one mile, and not really possible to walk. They said they could call a taxi (about $10), but we drove and surprisingly we were able to find some empty spots in the Greenbelt Metro station parking lot at 10:30am on a work day. (I think that only worked because it was the week after Easter/Spring Break.)

This hotel shares the parking lot with an IHOP, but we ate at the Italian place in the nearby strip mall - it was fine. We also ate at IKEA on the other side of I-495. (We drove over - probably too much distance/traffic to walk safely.) You won't find this on most dining guides, but we love the food, and it's CHEAP!

There was a large high school group in the hotel and they made some noise night and morning, but it was not terrible.

The indoor pool was OK, but a little crowded. Surprisingly, it has a lifeguard.

The proximity to I495 puts this hotel in a high-traffic area. This is not a place where you can really walk around the neighborhood - I would not recommend it if you don't have a car.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

My complaint is more about the management than the hotel. The hotel itself is fine, typical Hampton Fare. We've stayed about 5 times in the past, and even when we had problems, I gave this hotel a good review. The last time we stayed last spring, they overbooked, and had nothing ready for us at 4 pm. We booked a suite. They told us to leave our bags, and come back later. when we returned at night, we went up to our room and found a double room for 3 people. I went down and said this isn't what I booked. They gave away our room. They had one suite left, but on the smoking floor. Usually I don't care, but I had a cough, and the smoke from the hall was killing me. they moved us the next night. Not an offer of even a bottled water, but I still gave a good review, no complaints from me. Another time, I paid cash for my room, and they charged my card anyway. We had to wait for them to review their video tape to refund my money. They did, and again, not an offer of anything, but again, I gave a glowing review. This time I will not. We were booked for my son's graduation, 2 rooms, one suite, one regular double. It was the weekend of the Dec. blizzard. The school canceled the main graduation, but would not call off the individual graduations for the Sunday, so we had the rooms and still contemplated driving 5 hrs, in case he marched. As the day went on, the weather was truly horrible, and my husband said, no matter if the school cancels, how can we drive 5 hrs through blinding snow, so I sadly called to cancel. The school canceled the Sunday ceremonies an hour or so later anyway. I asked the hotel to please not charge for these rooms, despite the 24 hour cancellation policy, due to forces of nature. I said to them, even if I drive out tonight, there is no graduation to attend, and I probably can't even get into your parking lot. There was 20 inches of snow. The clerk laughed and said, you probably can't get into our lot. He told me to speak to management , and they would probably not hold us responsible for the charges. Well, when I called on the Monday morning, the general manager said, "sorry we are sticking to our 24 hour cancelation policy" I begged to no avail. I mentioned I had been to their hotel many times, and needed to rebook for May, as my son will attend that graduation. she didn't care. I got Hilton involved. The hotel called and told me they would only charge me for 1 room , not 2. Well, guess what, I was charged for 2 rooms. Tough on me. Hilton emailed me back, telling me the hotel resolved it, and canceled 2 out of 3 rooms I had booked. I wrote back to them, and let them know, that I had 2 rooms, not 3 and guess what, I was charged anyway for both rooms. I told them that the Hilton brand would no longer be a choice for me. I know some people won't be interested in this story, as it doesn't really speak about the property itself, but some of you reading this, might think twice of the treatment you might receive yourself from this place. by the way, the woman who runs the breakfast area is a doll.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennsylvaina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

My wife and i had planned a weekend visit to the Washington area. We did not want to stay right downtown because there were other attractions that we wanted to visit and they were scattered through out the general area. This hotel was a perfect choice. It is located about 3 blocks from I-495. Very easy to get off and on. Only about 10 miles from downtown DC. and close to Silver Springs where there are some great restaurants and shops.
We arrived at the hotel early (9AM) knowing that we could not get to our room, but with the intention of checking in, so we didn't have to go through that when we returned later that evening. The desk clerk was very accommodating. He even invited us to have breakfast while we were there at no extra cost. Since we were going to stop anyway, we took him up on his offer. Upon returning that night all we had to do was go right to our room. Cannot say enough about the helpfulness of the staff. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. So...if you are visiting Washington and if you don't mind the short drive, then this is the place to stay. I know we will be going back when we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Yonkers, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I thought smoking wasn’t allowed in hotels anymore? Well it is in this one! We requested a non-smoking room and when we arrived there wasn’t one available. I stayed at the hotel with my boyfriend and his family, so we used several rooms. After we checked in a few hours later my boyfriend’s brother checked in and received a non-smoking room. I thought there wasn’t any available? I’m an ex-smoker; the smell in the room can’t come out no matter how much you sanitize it. We called the front desk and they said they would look for a non-smoking room and they never got back to us. After two nights, they moved to a non-smoking room on a floor that is being repainted. The entire floor smelled like spray paint…. you can get a high just walking into the hallway…. My boyfriend’s family experienced some other issues such as an issue with the toilet, a bachelor party with strippers in the hallway and being put in a room that was just painted with their 5 year old child. The breakfast was ok, the breakfast area was clean. The gym consists of three machines, including a broken treadmill. The pool looked ok. Parking was good and you can walk to IHOP. Research places to eat in that area before traveling! There was a pizzeria not too far away that was terrible. The food sucked and the staff had an attitude. You’re better off going to the Dominos or Pizza hut in the area.

• Stayed April 2009
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

The location of this Hampton Inn is great - easy access to DC via Metro Greenbelt Station, close to shopping and restaurants, and excellent service. All Hampton Inn amenities and predictably high quality.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Second time I have stayed at this location. Two night stay on the second floor was disappointing. A large group of kids were staying on the same floor. Lots of doors slamming, cigarette smoke in the hallway and hanging out in the lobby. I have to say that the suite I was in did keep the noise out pretty well. Still, given that I am in town on business, I wish they could have put me on a different floor.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn - College Park? Share your experiences!