“Slim Pickings for Vegetarians!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Fairfax, Virginia
“Slim Pickings for Vegetarians!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were looking for a reasonable eating place and went to the Applebee's in College Park Maryland. It was a Saturday evening and the first surprise is that you have to feed the meters to park. The state of Maryland sees fit to charge parking on Saturdays as well.

I was with a party where two of the members were pure vegetarians.

When we looked at the menu, the only entree they had for vegetarians was a veggie fajita which my wife passed up as too much food. Instead she ordered the veggie pizza appetizer which was so so (she shared with my niece) and she called it a day after that.

I ordered the Bourbon Street chicken and shrimp entree. It came sizzling in a platter on a wooden stand and tasted good when hot. After ten minutes of conversation it had cooled down and tasted very oily. The chicken and shrimp were well grilled and surrounded by grilled potatoes. If you are watching the calories this dish is not for you.

The $3.00 beer deal with Budweiser or Bud lite is a good one. A tall one at three bucks is a good deal at any restaurant.

If I am with vegetarian company, I would give this restaurant a miss. If you are not counting calories, the presentation and taste of the Bourbon Street grilled chicken and shrimp platter is quite good when eaten hot. If I did not have the change, I would pass up on the parking entirely.

• Visited March 2012

College Park, MD
“Predictable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Decent food for decent price (2 fer $20); decent service, & cleanliness level, decent!

Visited September 2011
Montichiari, Italy
“Standard Applebee's food, with bad service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Like most chain restaurants, the food is standard. It is always good, never horrible, but never great. Since it is wedged into a college town, a lot of apathetic students work there. Each time I return to this Applebee's I hope to have the great service I had the first time I went, but it never ends up like that. The staff is consistently slow and apathetic. I would suggest to go down the road two minutes to Ledo's for a good sit-down meal with much better service.

• Visited May 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars
Cheraw, SC
“Good Food and Lots of It!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Up to the usual Applebee's standard of good food, quickly and well prepared, served fast in large servings. We go the two meals for $20 special, with one appetizer and two meals. We chose the wings in the traditional sauce - delicious and a HUGE quantity! We both got the steak choice. Very good - not the best steak I've every had, but fine. I got it with what turned out to be a HUGE baked potato; my daughter had the mashed potatoes, and it comes with mixed veggies. Nothing outstanding but everything was fine. No complaints. Waitress was fine, fast and pleasant. Would go back for sure.

• Visited August 2011