“Tricky review” 3 of 5 stars

Austin Texas
“Tricky review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

The good part:
The beds, Air conditioning, bathrooms were comfortable.
The backside of the hotel is beautiful with a creek and a golf course nearby.

The bad part:
The breakfast was terrible. Someone mentioned in the review that even boiled eggs were not served as part of the breakfast. I must say that they were fortunate. Because in our case, they were indeed there and we had the misfortune of eating those hard boiled and 'frozen to limits' eggs. We spent some time guessing when the egg would have been laid by the chicken and if it was indeed the chicken's egg. Rest of the breakfast was a-OK.

Someone also mentioned about the presence of people roaming around and who seem to have settled down around the place. We noticed that too, however, it seems unlikely that way. It is more about the bad layout design. The only place to hang out and socialize for travelers (and a very very small one) is at the entrance and every time you walk in or out, someone is always there.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed here for two nights while on a baseball excursion to Washington DC. Location and price were good for a group of guys. Hotel was clean and quiet. Hotel room was clean, beds were comfortable, bathroom clean and staff made up the rooms quickly and completely. Breakfast was good. Wasn't looking for a night at the Ritz, just a place to rest at night.

• Stayed July 2009
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed for one night on July 7th with my sister and 2 kids (ages 8 and 10). After a full day of travelling from Massachusetts I checked my GPS hotel section. I chose this hotel based on the fact it was an "inn and suites". I telephoned ahead and made a reservation. Because of my day long drive I wasn't thinking clearly and thought I was booking at a Comfort Suites. When we pulled up and saw the bright blue sign I was terribly disappointed it was not the hotel I thought. Check in was easy. No problems finding parking although the lot looks small. We were on the 4th floor which due to the design of the hotel was actually directly above the reception area. It was a quiet hotel. Beds were only a double but plenty comfortable with great pillows. Bathroom was clean and no mold in sight and lots of clean fresh towels. We did not use the pool or continental breakfast. Drawbacks - few restaurants in the area, hotel is worn, no hotel information book in the room, could not get an internet connection in the room. Positive - great location to 95 and 495 with Dunkin Donuts and a gas station right before the interstates. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again but it was a GREAT nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
DC/Metro Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

This is a hotel that I HAVE highly recommended to a couple of associates and a close friend. The staff is pleasant and very accommodating; the housekeeping staff are cheerful and caring. It sustains all the amenities of a 3 to 4 star hotel (free wireless internet, HBO, cable, outdoor pool, etc.). Every time I want a good rate in a suite when I come to town, this is my first choice. Very convenient to the Metro with their shuttle service; though they could extend the time slot availabilities...but if you must take a cab, hotel reimburses you. I titled this "pleasantly surprised" because after reading a couple of reviews, it just doesn't seem like we're talking about the same hotel. It's clean, comfortable, and location convenient. I only wished that the continental breakfast would include eggs and bacon like they do at other CIS I've stayed in. A huge thumbs up!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Highland Falls
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

I am a General Manager of a CHOICE property in NY, and I consider myself an experienced traveler. This was by far my worst stay at a CHOICE property in my life. I reported all problems immediately to the front desk staff. NO help whatsoever. Personally I would have fired my staff over this stay.

I was forced to stay at this low grade hotel during CHOICE Hotels Convention this month. Upon arrival - there was this group of inner city kids that were on "break". Well, so was their chaperones. These kids ran constantly throughout the hotel. I got to my room and low and behold there dinner room was directly across from my room. No problem claims Landon at the front desk. They will only be having dinner there tonight. I asked to move he said there were no rooms to be moved to. I originally booked a King non-smoking - received a queen.

I actually was never able to connect to the interent from my room - another no-no for CHOICE.

Next morning at 7AM I was awoken to breakfast with about a 100 kids running up and down the halls. I called the front desk. The response was they were going to leave momentarily. On several occasions I informed them why I was in town and who I was, and they did not care. When I asked who the manager was - conveniently he/she was not available (EVER!). I then asked who their BPC was (CHOICE Rep). No one knew that answer either. I stayed because there were no other places to stay, and I was there on an employee rate. I will tell you, I told them on several occasions including check-out how awful my stay was. I understand the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee as we practice it at our hotel. This hotel has a great deal to learn about customer service. How they are and still remain an upscale Comfort Inn is way beyond me.

Not to mention the room... the best part was housekeeping. I am sure they worked hard with what little they had. To say the least the mold in the bathroom and the stench of the mold and mildew was at times so disgusting I wanted to vomit. I come from a hotel that is a low scale property, but we make the most of this property and what we have. I go out of my way for my guests to ensure satisfaction as we are proud to be a part of CHOICE Hotels. However, CHOICE should definately reconsider the flag for this property.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
CICOLLEGEPARK, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
Thank you for your comments. We are obliged to offer affiliate rates and feel privileged to host other hotel's staff members. All guest feedback is extremely valuable to us as we are consistently striving for perfection. Sadly, and on rare occasions, not everything goes as planned. We did not meet your expectations this time, and for that, we are truly sorry. We hope you will think of us next time you are in the area - we would love nothing more than to make things right for you!
Pittsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to DC, compared to other nearby hotels, this has far more value more money.

Stayed May 2008
Newport News, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

This was by far one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. The location was close to the U of Md but that's the only plus I can give it. The rooms were dark and dingy, the ice machine did not work on floor we were on and when we tried to find another, that was a SCARY experience. Unsavory characters hanging out inside and outside the hotel. We were fortunate to only have a 1 night stay and we ran for our lives the next morning! Find accommodations elsewhere and save yourself!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!