“Charming old world pub with excellent service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Charming old world pub with excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I booked a table for a party of 10 for a leaving do on 13th June and we all agreed we had a lovely meal in a charming old world pub that evening. The service was excellent as the three staff were always attentive througout our meal over 3 and half hours! I had the haddock and chips but two chose the dressed crab, one had the risotto and so on. As I was driving I stuck with lime and lemonade but found out from the bill that two large glasses were costed £7.60. The white wine (at 11.5 % abv) was expensive at £16.45. As I had been to the pub the previous Sunday for lunch I did feel the food (for what it is) is overpriced. I had a double expresso to finish and no sweet but several of the party had a sweet course. Its a very relaxing pub with a lovely quiet atmosphere. The total meal came to £230 for 9 or around £25 each - a tad expensive.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

winteringham
“Good selection of food & ale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The George and Dragon has an excellent location by the River Stour & only 5 mins from Canterbury, we dined here twice on our holidays as the selection of food and local beer was excellent with friendly bar and waiting staff allowing tasters of the 6 beers on offer. A lot of the menu is locally sourced and served promptly, they have a loyaly scheme to collect vouchers that entitle you to discounted future meals, would recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I went here recently with my boyfriend and his family and I have to say we were delighted with the whole experience. The menu is varied, not too expensive and the service we received was polite and friendly. We were informed of a 45 minute wait on food upon arrival but as it was a busy bank holiday Monday we had expected this. The food soon arrived however and was absolutely delicious (there was plenty of it), not one complaint over anything. Our waitress was friendly and happily chatted with us and as it was a hot day, we choose to sit inside which was pleasantly cool and relaxed. Really don't understand the bad reviews, we couldn't find fault with this place, definitely recommend for a nice pub lunch.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't understand the bad reviews!? Amaaaazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I've been here on a few occasions before and just keep coming back! I looked on tripadvisor and was shocked at the bad reviews!! The food is absolutely amazing! (The ploughmans is to die for!) My boyfriend tries something different everytime and its always lovely! The portions are huge and plentiful, and not too expensive! I think people are just being too snobby and need to lighten up a little! The staff are really friendly and very welcoming! Thank you George and dragon! We will definatly be back very soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“"Manager" should be fired.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

On the last May bank Holiday, my family and I went to celebrate a birthday and my Nephews internship at the George and Dragon. It was a lovely day so we opted to sit out side- initially in the covered area as there were no seats free in the direct sunlight. We ordered drinks from our waitress a she explained she could take orders. Before our drinks came, a seat came free on the grass- so we asked to move - the waitress bought our drinks but informed us that she couldn't take orders for the tables on the grass. Finding this strange, we went in, ordered and paid and waited ... and waited .. and waited. After asking politely twice we were told our food was 2 tickets away from being done. 15 minutes later - a complete hour and 20 minutes the food came. It tasted ok and was presented well- my Ploughmans was missing butter. We ate - a Sandwich, 2 small fish and chips and a Ploughmans- costing almost 40 pounds. I went in to order coffee and passed a comment to the man behind the Bar that we waited a long time - I added that the food had tasted good when we got it - his response ? " Well you actually waited 48 minutes as I can see from the order- that you need to expect on a Bank holiday." Her went on " As you said your food was good I´m not going to give you anything."
Further discussion gleened that he knew what he was doing as he had been doing it for over 30 years.
I didn't get his name - but he was middle-aged and with long hair and after this response to a guest he should be fired.
Dear owners - this reaction does you no favours - the hospitality industry today is about service
service and service - particularly when your offering is the same as most other pubs. Someone who has been in the business for 30 years should know this - and if he doesn't should get out or be retrained. This attitude adequately cancelled out any good points about our visit- as did his later visit to our table to clear the remaining plates - without saying a word.
Pubs need to understand that it is not ample excuse to a person waiting to say - " its a Bank holiday " - Do I then pay less because I have to wait ?? And I wasn't asking for anything free rather expexting someone who would be able to deal with my comments and complaint in a professional manner in order to ensure I stay a customer. This was my first visit - we were a party of 4 and in total for lunch spent almost 80 pounds for a pub lunch - it will be my last visit here and I urge other readers to think carefully- a nice pub setting and interior doesn't guarantee a great experience- only great service can do that.

• Visited May 2013