“Not Bad, Not Great....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carlos Italian Bistro

Carlos Italian Bistro
9926 York Rd, Cockeysville, MD 21030 (Formerly Carlos Italian bistro)
+1 410-667-0002
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Carlos Italian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 87 Restaurants in Cockeysville
Cuisines: Italian, Vegetarian, Sandwiches
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church Lane Shopping Center
Transit: MTA #9 bus line (across from Cockeysville Target) Multiple Light-rail access
Description: In the early 1970's, Carlo and Felicia Schiattarella ventured from their small town in Naples, Italy & opened a quaint carryout pizzeria. Three decades later, The Schiattarella family is proudly introducing their 3rd full service restaurant in MD. Come join us for a delectable experience at Carlo's Italian Bistro and enjoy authentic, mouth watering Southern Italian cuisine. We take pride in serving top quality veal, chicken, seafood and shellfish specialties, along with salads, subs and sandwiches. With all of our menu items made fresh to order, we can gladly accommodate any dietary needs and preferences. Our casually elegant dining room is a perfect setting for a romantic dinner, friendly get-together or business luncheon, along with plenty of space for large parties & gatherings. Although we do not have a liquor license, we encourage our guests to bring their own alcoholic beverages to complete their dining experience.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not Bad, Not Great....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had been referred by a couple of friends to give Carlo's a shot for good Italian. My wife and I went on a Friday night and it was about half filled....not a good sign as most of the better restaurants around here are packed. On a positive note, greeter was charming and the waiter we had (can not recall name, but worked the upper floor) was really great.

The food was not bad..but just very average. A large portion of bread was brought to the the table and it was good..but again, not great. The main dishes were again....average.

At the end of the night, I would say that if I wanted moderately priced Italian, I would head to Macaroni Grill next time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cockeysville, Maryland
“Nice neighborhood dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've eaten there several times and have never been disappointed. When I go there for lunch I have the Chicken Marsala. It's delicious and very reasonably priced. They don't have a liquor license so if you like a glass of wine with you meal you need to bring it with you.
I'm giving it 4 stars instead if 5 because I like my bread served hot. Most times, it's brought to the table room temperature. They ARE good about replacing it with hot bread.

The homemade tiramisu is fabulous.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mid Atlantic
“Surprisingly excellent Italian!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Tucked away in an unassuming corner of suburban parking lot, this bistro serves up some excellent and authentic fare. The Caesar salad was wonderful--dressing light and flavorful. The veal piccata was delicious and arguably better than many 5star restaurants.

The restaurant itself is in a 70s-vibe contemporary building but cheerful and clean. The server was great and accommodating for our group with several children.

We will be back. It was great food.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Gem of an Italian bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant dining room was a bit warm on the sweltering Tuesday evening our party chose to dine there. Nevertheless, the main dining room was packed with a diverse group of diners; seniors, couples, and families with kids. I think they recognize a good value and good Italian food. BYOB with a modest $4 corkage charge. We started with antipasta, calamari, and mussels. The antipasto,only fair, the others were scrumptious. House salad came with each entree and a modest $1 up charge for a small caesar salad instead. These are not the house salads you get at Chiaparellis or Sabatinos but they were nice. The spaghetti with meatballs looked a bargain at $15.95. Three big meatballs in marinara on a heaping pile of Angel hair. I chose the Sausage Napolitana ($15.95) which was good but not great. The Veal Francese at $22.95 with accompanying pasta was exceptionally good as was the $16.95 Eggplant Parm. Veal Saltimbocca was unusual in that it inexplicably came in a red sauce, for $23.95. Not the best or the cheapest, but good value for very good Italian food with a nice atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
Timonium, Maryland
“Excellent Italian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed a tasty Italian dinner here Sunday evening. Pleasant atmosphere, attentive waiter. And Carlo even came to our table for a brief discussion because we were curious about the restaurant's Italian roots. (Small town outside of Naples -- unfortunately not the same side of Naples as our own Italian roots.) Our food was excellent. Veal so tender I cut it with my fork. Heck, the menu even says to return it to the kitchen if it isn't served that tender! A Rockfish special buried in crab lumps. A side dish of saute'd spinach was nicely spiced. Even the routine side of pasta that came with my veal was sauced nicely -- not the plain old marinara I expected, but a delicious one enhanced with herbs & mushrooms. Couldn't resist mopping our plates with the good Italian bread after each course. We'll definitely be back to try more of the menu.

• Visited July 2013