“Staff is friendly, location works for us” 3 of 5 stars

Colony South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7401 Surratts Road, Clinton, MD 20735   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Clinton
Manchester, Pennsylvania
“Staff is friendly, location works for us”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We made arrangements to stay at the Colony South based upon its proximity to the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro MD. Each time the weather was bad and the parking lot and outdoor walking surfaces were treacherous. The staff was friendly each time, the rooms are adequate for an overnight stay, one of our stays included a breakfast which was adequate as well. The price of the room reflects these adequacies. I don't feel overcharged for the value we recieve. This is not a property I would want to choose as a destination but it does adequately meet our needs.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bowie, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I have stayed at the locations many times, but it's getting worst each stay. They increased the incidental fee, its now $100. The check in was friendly and efficient, but everything turned bad there after. The hall way carpet smells, hotel is outdated and tired. I had to changed rooms at midnight with 6 bags of luggage, because of the dirty, smelly carpet. My first room was full of dust and beat up furnishings. The next morning after getting a late check out, I was greeted with several housekeeping knocks and THREE front desk calls by a very nasty clerk named Michael. When I went down to leave, he snatched the key card and chastised me for being 15 mins late. I try to explain there were no luggage carts. He was so rude and unhinged. He needs to be retrained better yet fired. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2015
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had to book an overnight stay at the last minute. The room was clean - and comfy. The staff were friendly and very helpful... but that is where the positives end. I was a little upset that they tried to charge me an extra $12 for my son to eat at the (mediocre) breakfast buffet. I originally booked for 3 people in our room - however my son ended up coming along due to a change in his sports schedule. When I booked the room - it included FREE breakfast, and since the room is for FOUR people, I assumed that him joining would not be an issue - wrong. Anyway - I gave him mine since I don't typically eat breakfast anyway. I really just thought that he should have been given his own. I also had an issue with them "Holding" $100 on my credit card as an incident insurance - especially since the site that I booked thru mentioned nothing about it. By "holding" that fee - they are actually charging your credit card - and then refunding it at a later date - which upset me. I wasn't a big fan of having to let the shower water run for 5 minutes before using it either. The water ran brown for almost that long... Once it cleared - I was nervous using it - but had no other option.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Seigmanfamily,

Thank you for noting your comments about your stay at the Colony South Hotel. However, your comments are completely inaccurate and misleading. You booked your reservations contrary to the sporting group's requirement to book through their housing bureau, through Orbitz.com and for ONLY THREE adults with breakfast. Had you booked through your housing bureau, breakfast for 4 would have been included. On Orbitz it clearly states that additional guests cost $12. I don't know anywhere where you can just walk in and eat for free. Incidentally, the mediocre breakfast you mention included eggs, sausage, grits, home fries, juices, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, pancakes, waffles and coffee - a real bargain anywhere.

It was a pleasure hosting your group, but booking outside of your group's reservations requirements deprive your event of the funding they need to host the event next year in the way of commissions we pay back to the group.

Thank you.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Although the itself property is (just) ok, it looks much nicer in the photo. Took at least 5 minutes of running the water in the bathtub before I got hot water to come through for a shower, and never had hot water in the sink despite.

Be advised that they charge your credit card the full amount of your stay as soon as you check in. IF YOU'RE A SMOKER, do not mention this is any way. If they know you're a smoker, THEY CHARGE YOU AN EXTRA $250 whether you smoked in the room or not! And arguing with them about it is a waste of time.

A much better choice is the Hampton Inn, Camp Springs... it's only about 10-15 minutes from the MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mary A,

Thanks for taking time to note your comments about the Colony South. Prince Georges County, in Maryland prohibits smoking in any public building and most hotels companies also prohibit smoking on their premises in consideration of most of their guests. The credit requirements for registration are clearly posted on all of the Internet Reservation Channels and at our Front Desk and have been very well received by our Traveling Public and are again consistent with the policies of any major hotel company. To register you have to provide, identification then proof and a guarantee of full payment for your stay anywhere in America. So I apologize but don't understand your rationale and complaint in that regard. Thank you.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

There is not enough space to write an accurate review of this horrible place.
Brown water coming out of our shower in the evening, and lukewarm, almost cold water in the morning. The desk responded by saying that we were the only one complaining about water at that time, but was the talk of the hotel in the hallways and elevator.

The wifi wasn't working at all.

The service was absurd and our complaints were not concerning to them.
Upon checkout, I called to let the hotel know my son left his prescription glasses in the room and gave specific area they were and told them we would come by later that evening to pick them up on our way out of town. When I arrived to pick them up, the night manager told me nothing was left at the desk and that someone was in that room (empty parking lot), and they couldn't go in the room for any reason.

PLEASE spend your money on a better hotel somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2015
Dear "Travel Agent" Monica D,

Thank you for you comments. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime about your recent experience at The Colony South Hotel, as I would like the opportunity to make things right and change your perception of our property. What you describe is not an experience we would intend for any guest. And I apologize to you for that. We continually try improve our services and facility and value feedback of any kind that's sincere and honest.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Rooms are very clean. Check in smooth, polite and professional. Needed a roll away and on an extremely busy night received it quickly. Room booked for 4 but only 3 towels. Beds not comfortable. Pillows fine. There is a night club in the hotel which made parking rough have no idea why this cheerleading venue thought it was a good idea to book us in a hotel with hundreds of young girls where there are obviously drunk men? Not a fault if the hotel. Never heard a thing from my room, but usually we allow the girls to hang out. Haven't tried food most likely won't.

Stayed January 2015
Hi Robyn P,

Thanks for your nice comments about your visit to The Colony South Hotel. We enjoyed having your group with us. Some of the folks in your group did break away and seemed to enjoy our Hotel Bar where we have live music and great bands on weekends. Please come back another time and I would see that your visit is more in keeping with your expectations. Sincerely,

Westminster, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2015

I just got home from a one night stay at Colony South with my daughter. She was in a cheer competition and we stayed due to the forecast for snow at our house. We arrived around 8pm Friday.

1. Front desk check in- the highlight of the experience. Friendly employees. Smooth without a lot of fuss.

2. Dinner - the miserable portion of our experience. We were the only two people in the restaurant which I thought was strange for 8 on a friday, but I know why. The nightclub in the hotel's music is extremely unpleasant when you are sitting in the restaurant. You also have to walk through the club cover line to get to the restaurant. Our server was nice but he took forever to do things which was very irritating when it's in the evening and you are getting tired. The food was mediocre at best especially when you consider the prices. They only had two kids options so my daughter ordered from the adult menu, I paid $70 for the two of us. I don't feel I got what I paid for.

3. Nightclub - I've seen other reviews about the nightclub where the manager states that they accommodate many varieties of people. No. Late night club crowd and families with children don't and shouldn't mix. The nightclub could at least be somewhere where it won't disturb other paying guests. The rude club "rent-a-cop" security guards could stand to be knocked down a few pegs as well. I was confronted rudely by one of them who told me my child was running around the hotel. Long story short, my daughter is too old for that and was in the bathroom where I knew she was. The child running around wasn't mine! Even if the child were mine, being rude to a hotel guest...big no no. I think he could stand a reminder that he's a hotel nightclub security guard and not a presidential secret service man. Just take it down a notch.

4. Incidental charge - I paid in full via expedia for the room before I checked in. After I checked out and we were at the competition, my credit card was declined. I called my bank and they said they identified a suspicious charge on my account. The suspicious charge was the $100 incidental hold that was placed on my card by the hotel without my knowledge at checkin. It's probably buried in the fine print somewhere, who knows, who cares. Additional charges should be conveyed to me verbally. I called the hotel and told the front desk girl to remove the hold immediately and she said the manager would have to do that or I could wait until my bank releases it. Unacceptable. Apparently there is no manager on duty on the weekends, not what I'm used to. I have never had an incidental hold placed on my account without being told so beforehand.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Dear Cheermom 1986,

Thank you for your detailed comments about your experience at The Colony South. To me, they seem appropriate and fair and I want you to know that we do indeed have competing interests at times but have taken strong actions to address this issue. We take your comments to heart and so act on them.

We have installed soundproof doors by the Hotel Bar so that Lobby patrons will not hear the bands and have also rerouted the patrons to an outdoor venue with a Patio and tents so they won't compete with other hotel guests' interests. We are also rebranding our restaurant and introducing a new concept this year to improve our business. Please come back and give us another opportunity and call me directly, if I may be of service anytime. Sincerely,

Fernando Mayol

Been to Colony South? Share your experiences!