“A nice hotel with some unfortunate avoidable issues. ” 2 of 5 stars

Colony South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7401 Surratts Road, Clinton, MD 20735   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Clinton
Westminster, Maryland
“A nice hotel with some unfortunate avoidable issues. ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I just got home from a one night stay at Colony South with my daughter. She was in a cheer competition and we stayed due to the forecast for snow at our house. We arrived around 8pm Friday.

1. Front desk check in- the highlight of the experience. Friendly employees. Smooth without a lot of fuss.

2. Dinner - the miserable portion of our experience. We were the only two people in the restaurant which I thought was strange for 8 on a friday, but I know why. The nightclub in the hotel's music is extremely unpleasant when you are sitting in the restaurant. You also have to walk through the club cover line to get to the restaurant. Our server was nice but he took forever to do things which was very irritating when it's in the evening and you are getting tired. The food was mediocre at best especially when you consider the prices. They only had two kids options so my daughter ordered from the adult menu, I paid $70 for the two of us. I don't feel I got what I paid for.

3. Nightclub - I've seen other reviews about the nightclub where the manager states that they accommodate many varieties of people. No. Late night club crowd and families with children don't and shouldn't mix. The nightclub could at least be somewhere where it won't disturb other paying guests. The rude club "rent-a-cop" security guards could stand to be knocked down a few pegs as well. I was confronted rudely by one of them who told me my child was running around the hotel. Long story short, my daughter is too old for that and was in the bathroom where I knew she was. The child running around wasn't mine! Even if the child were mine, being rude to a hotel guest...big no no. I think he could stand a reminder that he's a hotel nightclub security guard and not a presidential secret service man. Just take it down a notch.

4. Incidental charge - I paid in full via expedia for the room before I checked in. After I checked out and we were at the competition, my credit card was declined. I called my bank and they said they identified a suspicious charge on my account. The suspicious charge was the $100 incidental hold that was placed on my card by the hotel without my knowledge at checkin. It's probably buried in the fine print somewhere, who knows, who cares. Additional charges should be conveyed to me verbally. I called the hotel and told the front desk girl to remove the hold immediately and she said the manager would have to do that or I could wait until my bank releases it. Unacceptable. Apparently there is no manager on duty on the weekends, not what I'm used to. I have never had an incidental hold placed on my account without being told so beforehand.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

I should have known as soon as we pulled into the parking lot and there was a sherrif vehicle there. We walked into the lobby to a long line with ONE girl checking people in. The lobby was filled with extremely loud dance club music...and we checked in after 10pm. There is a night club with the hotel...which explains the loud, drunk idiots. The check in clerk never explained how to find our room. We eventually found our room and opened the door to a ridiculously hot room temperature. The first thing we wanted after a long, stressful drive in the bad weather was the bed...which we were greeted with long black hairs on the pillow. The loud booming music from the room right to ours started almost immediately after our heads hit the pillows (mind you, we had to sign a "no party" agreement or be removed from the hotel). This music and loud talking and rough housing lasted until about 4am. My alarm went off at 5am. We stayed with my 11 year old daughter and her cheer team in preparation for competition. Our shower water was freezing cold and very hard to use. After calling the front desk, he said "ohhh yeah give it about 15 mins and it will get warm...sorry about that." Sorry?!?! We come down each year for a cheer competition and we will NEVER stay here aging and we will NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. If you like cold soft waffles and scrambled eggs sitting in standing the water, then maybe you'll enjoy the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed January 2015
Clinton, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Colony South for one night of peace and quiet, Left room to get ice and came back and the keys did not work. I later had company in my room who had been smoking before they came to visit me at the hotel, the next day I checked my bank statement and they had charged $250 on my card. So I call to see what was going on and the rude receptionist said the security smelled smoke outside of my room, Which was a BLATANT LIE!!!! I myself isn't a smoker and don't allow people to smoke around me. If I was smoking in the room I would have kindly took the loss but I feel like they stole $250 from me. Please be sure to air out before you enter your room if you're a smoker, better yet try another hotel there are nicer hotels in the area.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Plainfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Although I was disappointed that the lounge made last call at 11pm and was supposed at 2am. Overall, a nice experience and I would stay again. The customer service was excellent. However, there were times that you could not get an answer when calling the front desk.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Temple Hills, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My experience started with on an odd note. I was not able to open the door to the room with the key that was given to me. I was then offered the room next door and again experienced the door not able to open. The front desk did send someone to successfully solve the mystery of the unopening room doors. Otherwise an uneventful experience.

• Stayed November 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

1.Bait & switch! Non/negotiable!
2. Poor attitude at check-in.
3. Rate for room changed.
4. Room keys did not work!
5. Cold bathroom/even after complaint & new heat lamp.
6. Hot-Tub/Jacuzzi not hot!
7. Poor heating system ... room too hot or too cold. No adjusts!
8. Final bill showed only one credit card, but two were used. Bad attitude at desk to get 2 bills showing both charges.
9. ATM was out of order 2 days.
10. Slow Wi-Fi / Hatd 2 use!

These are MY experiences & my review of MY OWN stay. This is not an attempt to slander or defame Colony South. The hotel staff need more training & the heat needs to be tested in cold weather. Also, would someone Please explain the $100.00 "incidental hold". The desk clerk was rude about it & demanded to hold additional funds on my debit card! My $100.00 cash was not accepted! Staff trusted with my MB in lot & expensive computers, purse, clothing, personal papers, etc., but not with $100.00 cash? No bank open on XMAS Day! She did not care! Room prepaid for!

STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Stayed December 2014
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014 via mobile

The room and was clean and the bed comfortable. Staff was helpful each time we had a question. It's a bit of a drive if you are wanting to visit DC but at the right time of day not a bad commute.
The property is old and could use a major renovation. However the property is well maintained and clean.

• Stayed November 2014

Been to Colony South? Share your experiences!