“Older Well Kept Property” 3 of 5 stars

Colony South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7401 Surratts Road, Clinton, MD 20735   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Clinton
Seattle
“Older Well Kept Property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014 via mobile

The room and was clean and the bed comfortable. Staff was helpful each time we had a question. It's a bit of a drive if you are wanting to visit DC but at the right time of day not a bad commute.
The property is old and could use a major renovation. However the property is well maintained and clean.

• Stayed November 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hudson Valley NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here while we attended a wedding nearby.

Check-in was standard; the woman at the front desk was very friendly. Our room was a bit dated, but clean. The bed was reasonably comfortable... we had a room with two doubles (the price was right! Haha), and they felt the same to me, but my wife preferred one that she said felt newer. The walls are thin, and we could hear our neighbors... they weren't overly noisy or bothersome, thank goodness.

We tried to order room service one morning but were told that they closed at 10am, and reopened at 11:30am (this was around 11am) for lunch. I asked the woman with whom I spoke for a breakfast option nearby, and she suggested the 7-11 across the street, in a rather unpleasant tone, after telling us that the cafe attached to the hotel is closed on weekends.

We didn't get a chance to use the pool, though it looked nice and clean, and another wedding guest said that the hot tub was one of the best she's ever been in.

There's a nightclub attached, which makes the parking lot very busy on weekend nights, but we found plenty of parking around back.

The hotel is pretty big.

Overall, no major complaints. Decent price, decent room, nothing to make me want to come back, but nothing that would make me tell you to stay away, either.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

(Disclaimer: My business is customer service and I am always on the hunt for it- so please keep in mind that it colors everything I do!)
Just completed a business trip where I stayed at the Colony South due to the convenience of location for business purpose. The hotel is spacious and clean and in need of an update in the building and the staff. Upon arrival, we were greeted by very cheery staff at that time. My room was clean. Noisy from traffic and poor insulation in the window. I checked several times certain that it as open! No- just poor insulation. The bathroom was also old and clean- needs an update. Sleeping was difficult with the noise plus the buzzing of some flies that were stuck in the window.

The location is pretty poor. It's a $20 can ride to a restaurant or bar- $30 to a sports bar to watch football!!! Not much around here.

I went for a walk on a path around the pond that was nice; needs some groundskeeping. Lots of goose droppings and I get that those are hard to manage. The outiside is lovely and has a cottage feel- at least to me.

The evening front desk was rude and did not look up to speak to me- even when speaking to me did not look at me. I set up a wake-up call that never happened. The bar and restaurant also had poor service. Staff came across with an attitude that was not pleasant. No one went out of their way to help me...EXCEPT- Julio!!! Julio gets ***** (that's 5 Stars) from me. Wow!! Great service, happy, attentive, above and beyond!!! He is responsible for the third star! A plus is that the staff from the business office always spoke to us and said hello when they saw us- that's worth mentioning. The housekeeper that I saw everyday was friendly!!

The food wasn't bad- not great either. I just didn't love this hotel. Has lots of potential- just no personality. I hope they get better!!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014 via mobile

The management, security, front desk staff, and customer service was horrible. The security put me out of the hotel at 3 am for no reason. I was forced to pack my things with the door open. My money was never refunded and the management never called me back. Millicent is the manager and she is by far the rudest person I've dealt with at a job. Please stay away never go to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2014
Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, October 21, 2014
Dear Nocolonysouth,

Thank you for taking time to note your comments about your recent stay at the Colony South Hotel. Regrettably, you completely misrepresent and mischaracterize the events surrounding your visit. You neglect to mention your involvement in the illicit party taking place in your room against our hotel policy and how you and your friends disturbed our guests who come here to enjoy our hotel. Your attempts to vandalize our property and destroy our reputation would not be tolerated. Yes, you were asked to leave by Security and will not be welcomed back at The Colony South. You will not be refunded for your visit because of the number of adjustments we had to make to other guests whom you and your party disturbed that night. Please Stay Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southington, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

We checked in late in the evening & very extremely tired from the drive. There was no one in the lobby aside from us and the 3 hotel employees at the time. The hubs is a little hard of hearing & I said our room number out loud. The employee, who's name started with a T (I think) reprimanded me for saying my room number out loud. I realize this is a safety issue but I was too tired to argue. (Note to hotel: it's NEVER a good idea to tick off a customer). I took advantage of the free gym they offered shortly before bedtime. The gym was hidden in a corner and the only entrance was through the pool room. The floor was wet from the water volleyball game which made it a slippery hazard for anyone who is accident prone. I realize this isn't the hotel's responsibility but there should have been a staff member available to at least monitor the room because there was an unsupervised girl, who was about 9 years old, who was left in the weight room by herself while her relatives were engaged in water volleyball. Let's just say the person who had control of the tv remote didn't tune into a kid friendly show at the time. We took advantage of the free breakfast the next day. The pancakes weren't fully cooked and I winded up drinking water and OJ. The hubs loved the bacon but thought the scrambled eggs had too much butter in it. Needless to say, we decided to avoid the restaurant entirely for the rest of the trip. Would we come back to the hotel overall? Maybe. The price was good at $65/night but the distance between the hotel and Washington was a lot to be desired if you leave during rush hour traffic.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AnnupL,

I appreciate your comments about your recent stay at The Colony South. Please know that we do take them seriously and to heart and will act upon them with urgency. I apologize to you that your stay did not go exactly as we would intend and hope that you could give us another opportunity to be of service. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime and I will be happy to make your arrangements and welcome you back to our hotel.
Take care.
Clinton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

Not sure if it was the sheets or what happened but after the first night of staying there I broke out into a really bad rash all over my chest. The hotel is very outdated and in serious need of an upgrade. I will say when we reported a leak in the bathroom tub someone came immediately to fix it.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, October 17, 2014
Dear Josephine A,

Thank you for your recent patronage and for taking time to note your experience. We will research our laundry and linen products to make sure we're in compliance with proper softeners and cleaning agents. Please feel free to contact me, as I would like to have you return as my guest and I can assure a more pleasant visit in the future.

Sincerely
Oxon Hill, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

Friendly Staff, room was alright. Got there saw the room, lamp shade was torn instead of replacing it they put it toward the back. Thought maybe they cleaned the floor since there were spots all over the floor. Woke up next morning same spots. Rugs needed to be cleaned. Went to bathroom and water was still dripping in the bathtub and someone dirt was still the tub. Didn't bother to take a bath decided to just go home and take one. Floor in the bathroom was not mopped and you could see the dirt. I stayed in cheaper hotels that were cleaner. Would I stay again yes, with the hope that the manager of Colony South is reading this and will fix the problems. Only problem I had with the hotel was the room was not cleaned.

Room Tip: First and Second floor has a balcony. Third floor does not.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Dear linda b,

Thank you for taking the time to note your comments about our hotel. I appreciate your openness in giving us an opportunity to correct the deficiencies you discovered in your guest room. Please know that we do indeed take your comments very seriously and to heart. But I would like to invite you back, as my guest, if you would give us another opportunity to be of service. Please call me directly, and I will be glad to personally handle your arrangements.

Fernando Mayol

Been to Colony South? Share your experiences!