“You get what you spend for your money” 3 of 5 stars

Colony South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7401 Surratts Road, Clinton, MD 20735   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Clinton
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
“You get what you spend for your money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was picked because of our tour reservations that were nearby. The hotel really needs to be updated. The room was clean, but the sofa and chairs had seen better times. The staff was friendly and willing to help out with directions etc... The complimentary breakfast did not offer a lot of choices, and needed some yogurt and fresh fruits available. The tables were not kept cleared of dirty dishes, and we had to ask for fresh silverware. The wait staff seemed to be overwhelmed with the patrons. There was a very loud party on our floor that took the local police to respond to shut it down at 1:45 AM. I think the hotel security was not on top of the developments and could have toned it down before it got out of hand. Would not pick to return here anytime!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the hospital unless you like to hear Med Evac helicopters landing at the h...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Fernando M, General Manager at Colony South, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Norb K,

Thanks for comments about your recent stay here. I am delighted that you found value in our property and our staff courteous and helpful. We do offer a breakfast inclusive option when making reservations, which includes a full American Breakfast or the choice of 7 items from our menu. Please try us again and feel free to contact me directly, in the meantime if I may be of service.

Fernando Mayol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This facility is a short drive south of DC but offers a phenomenal view of aircraft on final approach to Andrews AFB. The rooms feel a little dated. The food is not memorable but there are good restaurant choices nearby. What makes this hotel valuable is their competitive pricing. There is a decent sized inside pool and good exercise facilities. Keep this on your list when staying on the south side of DC.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear SJW_Leader,

I appreciate you taking time to write about your experience at The Colony South Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our location, value and amenities. We continually work to maintain our product and improve our service and hope to see you back soon.

Carrboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So, I was a little bit wary based on some of the reviews, but the price was great, so we decided to give it a shot and I have no complaints at all. It is about 30 minutes from Washington, not a bad drive into the city. There isn't much in the immediate vicinity, but that was okay. The room was very nice with a comfortable bed, fridge and microwave, free wi-fi and lots of parking. Overall, I really liked it. However, I will say this....I'm easy to please when it comes to staying out of town. We kept the do not disturb sign up, so they didn't clean the room the first morning. The next day they did knock, but we only wanted towels and they were very nice. The indoor pool looked nice and I liked the fact that exercise classes are offered, though I didn't have an opportunity to take part in one.

The hotel has a room that is used for events, such as parties/jazz night etc. When we arrived the first night, we couldn't find any parking near the front to unload. It was also quite loud downstairs b/c of the music and there were quite a few people sitting in the lobby area. We were on 3rd floor so the music did not bother us and while this area is not on the same side of the building as guest rooms, I would assume that some of the noise might drift to first floor guest rooms. This was not problematic to me, but it may be something that others may not find appealing.

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: They do have quite a few events on the first floor which outside guests can attend. We were on the...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi christinnc,

Thank you for writing about your recent trip to the Washington DC area and your stay at The Colony South Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the value we offer and our proximity to the nation's capital makes for a pleasant visit. Please come and try us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel was clean the beds were comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was ok it could have been better. The pool was nice and i liked the fact that it was a restaurant on site and a live band. My overall experience I would stay there again when im in town.

• Stayed August 2014
Hi benzola,

Thanks for your positive comments about your visit to The Colony South Hotel. I am delighted that we were able to meet your needs and that you enjoyed the facilities and service. Please come back often and feel free to call me directly, so that I can personally handle your arrangements.

North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Stayed here in August 2014. Rooms were clean but very dated and beat up. Bed was great, and one friendly maid. Our meals were a part of the business trip and they were mediocre at best; I had to ask for condiments. Exercise classes were $10 a person, normally if you are a guest they are free? Not much in this area as far as eating establishments; you better have a car when you come. I guess being from the south I am used to meeting friendly people and you have to look hard to find them here. When I would say "thank you", they looked at me as if i had grown an additional nose.

Room Tip: Ask for a front view room with a porch and rockers. Also request to not be near the nightclub.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Charlotesmom,

Thanks for your feedback about your recent visit to The Colony South Hotel. I appreciate your candor and perceptions and know that we take them very seriously and to heart. We are always trying to improve our product and ask that you give us another opportunity to be of service soon. Please call me and I can take care of your arrangements.

Waterford, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

The location is an easy commute into DC with free shuttle services to the metro. The beds were comfortable. Those are the only positive amenities!!!! The pictures are very misleading!! Room was never cleaned. Pool not open, and bar closes when it wants not on scheduled hours. We let management know so that they were aware of the problem. Felt they were not really concerned or worried about fixing these problems for future guest. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear jules1590,

I apologize that your visit at The Colony South Hotel was not at all what we would intend. I appreciate your perceptions and consider them valid and helpful in our effort to continually improve. I would appreciate it still, if you could consider giving us another opportunity to be of service. We cannot have an off day when it comes to our guests but apparently we did on your visit. Please call me directly and I can make certain that your next visit is pleasant and memorable.

Fernando Mayol

Travelers are raving about these Clinton hotels

Peru, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The first room they assigned us to have a smoke alarm that kept getting activated. The front desk and security told us it was normal for the moisture to trigger it. After the third time we demanded to be moved to another room.

The breakfast is terrible. The alleged buffet consists of three items. The pool and hot tub were not working. The bar closes at 10 but when we went into it at 9:15 we were told it was closed.

They never cleaned our room or made the bed. This place is terrible in the photos are misleading.

Every one of the terrible reviews is accurate. Stay away!

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Michael B,

Your experience at the Colony South is not what I would want for any of our guests. I apologize for the responses you received and for the service that did not meet our standard and certainly not your expectations. If you would give us another chance to be of service and call me directly I would ensure that your visit would be what we intend, which is a perception of great value and friendly and courteous service. Thanks.

Fernando Mayol

Been to Colony South? Share your experiences!