“great tour great price” 4 of 5 stars

301-868-1121
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Clinton
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1852 as a middle-class plantation home, historic Surratt House recaptures life during the mid-19th century and features the fascinating web of the Lincoln conspiracy.
Martinsville, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
“great tour great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This tour was really nice, especially for the $3.00 adult admission. I recently visited with my family which included 3 children under eight years old. The tour guide was wonderful, informative and really great with the kids. The whole family enjoyed the tour and seemed to learn a lot.

Visited July 2012

Gaithersburg, Maryland
23 attraction reviews
“Good tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Surratt House was not part of our original plans for our weekend trip to St. Mary's County, MD, but with the temperatures forecast for a high of 106, we had to be a little flexible and the Surratt House is air-conditioned. We have an interest in history, so the Surratt House was perfect for us. The tour was long, and the tour guide, while chatty, was interesting. She seemed to lose her focus from time to time, but was still able to give an interesting historical tour. Having seen the Conspirator movie, we were excited to see the actual site. This is a good addition to break up a drive for someone interested in history.

Note that their website has a printable coupon what will discount admission.

Visited July 2012
Mechanicsville, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
“Christmas at the Surratt House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Excellent Decor, great tour guides and a cool looking santa.

Visited December 2011
5 attraction reviews
“Fascinating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Before I went to the Suratt House I always thought that Mary Surratt was a totally innocent victim of justice gone wrong. Mrs.Surratt was convicted in the murder of President Lincoln and was the only woman hanged. I also thought that Dr.Samuel Mudd (a co-conspirator) was also innocent of the same crime.
Both of my opinions were based on "Hollywood" movies I saw while growing up.
Well guess what, I was wrong!
After going on a tour of this well preserved house and listening to our very knowledgeable guide, who could answer any question put to him, I came away without any doubt that Mrs.Surratt and Dr.Mudd were guilty and got the verdict they deserved.
The tour took about 90 minutes and was very interesting and informative. Even a couple of pre-teen siblings in the tour with us really enjoyed the experience and came away with more knowledge bout the civil war than the average 12 year old.
Definitely worth the visit.

Visited May 2012
Maryland
11 attraction reviews
“We Loved our visit to The Surratt House!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I recently had to opportunity to visit the Surratt House Museum with 2 of my friends. I only live about an hour away from the museum, but this was my first visit there. We arrived early on a Wednesday to be in the first tour group at 11am. We were allowed to go into the Museum Gift Shop, while we waited, which was very nice. There were some great displays telling about some of the history of the Surratt House and also, some photos and belongings of the Surratt Family. At 11 am we walked up to the house and started our tour in John Surratts Tavern, at the back of the house. Our costumed Docent, Irene, was wonderful!!! We were the only 3 people on the tour, so we had her all to ourselves. Irene was extremely knowledgeable about the history of the house and the Surratt Family. The tour of the house lasted about an hour and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I would highly recommend this place to anyone, whether you are interested Civil War History, The Lincoln Assassination, or Paranormal Investigation (yes, it's haunted).

Visited April 2012