“Could be much better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hambleden B&B and Inns
Bucks, UK
“Could be much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This review is about the food not the rooms which I have no experience of.

They have obviously spent a lot of money on this place whilst trying to maintain the old pub feel (keeping the snug bar etc) and good on them for that. In my view they just haven't got it quite right.

Massive schoolboy error not making the back bar bigger - this bar services the main part of the pub and is actually smaller than the snug bar. It serves as a massive bottle neck with an evitable queue of people jostling to get to the bar., especially on busy days when many walkers are out.

We went just after they reopened and they obviously had a few issues with snagging in the toilet (bits falling off the wall etc) and the food was very average. I found this surprising given the effort and time put into the refurb.

We decided to give it another go, so we went again Boxing Day and although the service was good (the 2 girls behind the bar were very attentive and friendly), the food just wasn't there.

Watery chicken curry, very average 'real steak mince' burger (tasted and looked like shop bought frozen one), although the venison cottage pie was ok.

If they got the food right, this place could be outstanding as it's a great venue. Must try harder!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback regarding your recent visit.
I will take on board and share your comments with the rest of the team so that we can continue to improve.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed Sunday night as it was on offer. When we checked in the place was extremely busy with walkers, families and couples having their drinks and food. We were early but made very welcome. When we were shown to our room it was lovely and just right for us. A big bathroom and good décor throughout. When it came to meal time it was in the restaurant part which is a nice size. As it was Sunday evening it was not packed but for us just right with a number of couples. The staff continued to make you feel relaxed and when the food came it was not a disappointment. Whilst breakfast was a little slow due to staff issues it was pleasant and helped to finish off the enjoyable stay.
We have stayed at other hotels in the group which we have liked and we will certainly stay at this one again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. It is always lovely to hear such great feedback and on behalf of myself and the rest of the team I would like to thank you and look forward to your next stay with us.
Frome, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The experience here was lovely from our first greeting to leaving upon the ordering of a taxi for us.
Cute, cosy and definately comfortable! There is absolutely nothing you could fault about the rooms, amazing mattress, linen and pillows. Great bathroom with a little selection on products and towels that were heated slightly from the rails when you've showered, lovely. Added bonus of tea (selection), coffee, hot chocolate, bottled waters and biscuits. The breakfast was enjoyable however could be made better...firstly the ketchup bottle was very dirty and not appealing as it looked like it hadn't been cleaned at all since being opened! A greater selection on the continental table would have been nicer, maybe earlier in the morning it was? We had breakfast at 9.30. However, the time we spent here was so enjoyable, and if we are ever in the area again, we know where to stay... Here!

Room Tip: Room 1 (The Pit)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and needless to say I will look into the slight issues raised and ensure this does not happen again.
We look forward to seeing you again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We chose the Stag and Huntsman based on good reviews, they did not do justice, the pub is charming, the food great, the accommodation excellent and the service truly exceptional. I would describe the staff as the friendliest and most accommodating I have experienced. The relaxed style and yet attentive service made the weekend such a relaxed experience and it felt like home from home. All this before the fact that the village of Hambleden and the surrounding countryside are exceptionally beautiful. For anyone looking for a relaxed, informal stay in the country with beautiful country walks, charming accommodation and exceptional friendly staff I recommend the Stag and Huntsman, it is amazing!

Room Tip: Room 5 overlooking the fields south of the village, lovely bathroom too
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving such a glowing review, the team will be thrilled by such positive comments.
We are looking forward to seeing you at The Stag & Huntsman in the near future.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The reason for my stay was a business meeting in Marlow the following morning,having several disasters in the past with accomadation I usually stick with the Premier chain, fortunately for me the Marlow Inn was full. I took a chance (obviously checked Trip advisor) on the Stag and was sincerely impressed. I was met by a staff member who was polite, charming and helpful. The room was outstanding allthough freezing when I went in. The food and Real ale were superb. I had a very comfortable nights sleep. My breakfast was excellent and the girl who served it was very very helpful and filled me in about the filming that has been carried out around there. I will definately be stopping there again.

Room Tip: I would ask for room 5 again
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Peter S, Manager at The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I will pass your kind comments on to the staff who will be thrilled to hear them. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Stag & Huntsman in the near future.
Woodstock, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had flown over from Vermont where we run a small award winning inn, and were looking for a place on a Saturday afternoon to read the papers, drink some beer and soak up everything the US doesn't do with drinking places!

I grew up around High Wycombe and used to frequent the Old Crown in Skirmett...sadly now a private house. Despite living in Shepherds Bush at the time...the Old Crown and the wonderful grumpy Peter (the landlord) was my real local. He could abuse one with style...and still serve an excellent pint of Breakspears, and his long suffering wife Liz, was a marvel in the kitchen.

So we'd stopped in the overblown Hand & Flowers in Marlow that couldn't or wouldn't serve us a pint at 12.15...come back at 14.45 was their suggestion, and as it was full of BMW driving Buckinghamshire hedge fund types and their loud kids...we voted with our feet and left to find somewhere else. I then remembered reading about how the Stag & Huntsman had been given a make over...and my lord does it work!

The place still has individual rooms to drink in, for food our two bowls of roast tomato soup hit the spot and the beer was excellent. I must also commend the staff in particular a young lady (Claire?) who was very competent, organising the staff, taking phone calls and generally keeping the who place toddling along. Her customer care skills in person or on the phone got a 10/10.

We sat, supped and relaxed for a couple of hours reading the Saturday papers, and we left wishing that the US could do pubs.....but it can't! Next time we plan to stay once the bedroom doors I read about have been fixed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing the Stag & Huntsman. I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit - and rest assured that the bedroom doors in question have been fixed.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I booked this pub for an overnight stay as we were visiting the nearby Chiltern Valley winery. I booked on advice from this site the Henley Hill room which was beautiful!! What I would say though is that the pillows were too hard and the TV sound is distorted.

I have to say though that I wasnt mad on the food although the reviews on this site seemed to suggest it was excellent.

I ordered the thai fish cakes which were not very fishy and the steak was over seasoned. Having said that my husband ordered the chicken and said it was great. The desert however he did not like as it was too sweet.

Service was slightly hit and miss as we were left in the dining room and had to seek a member of staff out to order a desert. Having said that the staff were great and friendly

Room Tip: Henley Hill if you want a separate sitting room but it is expensive for a pub room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving some constructive feedback. I will look into the comments you make and hope to see you again soon.

Been to The Stag & Huntsman at Hambleden? Share your experiences!