“good location to Metro station - nice rooftop pool” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chevy Chase
central pennsylvania
“good location to Metro station - nice rooftop pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Stayed here while we visited DC... short walk to Friendship Metro station. No restaurants nearby so you are forced to use the hotel for breakfast. No bars nearby so forced to use the limited hotel one. Ok for one or two nights. Room was clean and furnished nicely. Rooftop pool was enjoyed - small by the time 5 or 6 families arrived.
Parking was $15 per night....and extra cost for breakfasts. Not a cheap hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Kitchener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Courtyard Marriott Chevy Chase, Maryland

My only complaint, instead of a shower, I wish I had a bath tub to soak my tired weary bones after along day of exploring Washington, D.C.

My room was perfect to relax after a hard days outing. Nice size TV screen, big bed, sitting area, mini fridge, coffee pot. It was always kept clean.

Tip. The lobby has free coffee and tea. If you don’t like powdered cream that’s in the room then snatch some real creamers from the lobby and store in your fridge.

I had a couple of warm nights to enjoy a glass of wine in their courtyard. There is also a swimming pool one floor up but it wasn’t going to be open until Memorial Day.

The hotel provides free WIFI. Also in the lobby are some computers also free to use.

The Bistro, off the side of the lobby, provides breakfast, lunch and dinner. Check for hours.

To make it easier and affordable, I used Super Shuttle to get from and to Dulles airport (which is approx. 45 to 60 min.). I was charged $29.00 each way to and from my hotel. There is cheaper way with buses from the airport getting to the metro station then taking the metro here but I was glad to have had the shuttle as it was pouring when I landed in D.C. (http://www.supershuttle.com/)

The hotel is three blocks from the metro station. The stop used for this area is called Friendship Heights.

There are plenty of restaurants around. The hotel has a small map of where restaurants are located.

I ate at Panera Bread on Willard Ave (about two blocks from hotel) a couple of times. It’s not too expensive. I had the French Onion soup twice, once with salad and once with a half sandwich (they have a soup/salad or sandwich deal). Inside is a fireplace. Came in handy for a couple of cool days. I sat by the window watching the world go by. Bread is made fresh daily here. Unsold good are donated to community organizations at the end of each day.

Treat yourself to a delicious cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory. The selection is mind boggling to choose from. Of course, they do serve other eats such has salads, soups, pastas. I sat outside on a warm evening watching the world go by.

For cheap eats, there’s McDonalds across from the Metro. I ate one morning for breakfast. It was nice and clean.

A couple of times I picked up some pastries from Karin’s Cafe Bloom’y Florist, which was about a block from the metro. Great with my morning coffee in the room.

For the metro, I bought a SmarTrip card at CVS Pharmacy. It also can be purchased at Giant and Safeway (two of which I couldn’t find) also Metro Centre, one of the main transfer points for the metro. The card itself costs $5.00 plus a $5.00 travel value. Inside each metro station are machines to top up the value of the card. The card can also be used on city buses and DC Circulator. The metro is easy to use. Get yourself a metro map and a map of Washington, D.C.

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

If your goal is to be green, please stay here!!

I prefer staying for comfort, and value. I will plant a tree at home.

I have been a Platinum since Marriott began the program, fiercely loyal.

The gentleman who checked me in must have been medicated. Polite, but couldn't have cared less if I dropped dead. I must have interrupted his texting. He pretty much blew off my inquiries about possible other room available. Believe me, I have been down this road before; he just didn't want to go to the trouble to change my room, so he told me my inquiry (top floor) wasn't available.

Room is nice, but snug; can barely get to the closet (about a foot clearance). I believe I booked a king room, but I could be wrong. The rooms are too small for two beds.

What I do NOT like, is the "Green" air conditioning. I like white noise when I sleep in a hotel. To drown out hallway activity, etc. But Big Brother has set up the air conditioning so you cannot set the fan to "On". No matter what, even if the air conditioning is off (The lowest air conditioning setting is locked in too). So the air conditioner is either off (and you bake) or kicks on and off, all night long.

So, the owner can crow about it's green awards, while they go home to air conditioning that operates and doesn't operate as they choose.

Don't be taken in; the hotel's green initiative is to SAVE THE OWNER'S MONEY!! Little to do with saving the planet.

I am here because the hotels closer to DC are booked solid. But this hotel, rooms at the government rate, are totally open. Wonder why??

If you sleep deeply, I see nothing wrong with this place. But for me, I hope to get back into the Residence Inn on Vermont, or the Homewood Suites on Mass., or one of a dozen other locations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Was very happy with our choice of using this hotel. Its in a great location making travel easy. Hotel was very nice and staff were were professional.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Front desk people are not friendly. Its an effort to get their attention, and then when you do, they act like they wish they were somewhere else. I purchased a few items in an adjacent snack section. I asked the price, and had cash in my hand. The employee looked down his nose and asked what room I was in, I told him the room number, but showed him the cash.He ignored the cash, asked me to repeat my room number [ do they speak English?] They put the items on the bill as i was asking to pay cash. I was ignored! Then this person took a phone call, and indicated that he was done with me.

I ordered Chicken alfredo at the Bistro "to go". There were practically no other customers. The waiter came back an reconfirmed that it was chicken. Service was extremely slow, and then when Ithey brought the meal, it was shrimp alfredo. the noodles were dry. The whole thing was tasteless.t

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

After a three day stay, I would probably stay here again, but would check the rates on other hotels in the area first. The high point is that the hotel has been recently renovated and the public areas and rooms were spotless...one of my priority evaluation points for a hotel stay. The lobby is pleasantly colorful, but is very small and while the designer did the best they could with the space, I felt as if I was running an obstacle course around the furniture and guests at the front desk (podiums) every time I came in. The business center area of the lobby and restaurant also overlap. It's a strange layout that tries to fit all the hotel functions into an area too small for them all...but, it's do-able if a bit tight.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, but not always well-informed. Housekeeping was overly zealous and threw away boxed food we had left in the room for later. We were offered a meal as replacement, a delicious breakfast in the small hotel restaurant, however, the offer was made later and was not communicated to the restaurant staff or the manager the next morning. This was remedied with absolutely no argument on the hotel's part. When we took one of the three elevators down to the lobby along with a hotel employee, the doors failed to open and we were told "this happens sometimes." Ummm, if you are aware of this ongoing problem, should it not be fixed? Doors were pried open and we did not get on that elevator again.

We stayed in a king bed (extremly comfortable) room that was spacious enough, but would be a lot tighter with two beds. The bathroom is small and has an odd layout, but it works well enough. No tub, only a shower. Low-flow-optional toilet. Again, the room was immaculately clean.

Parking is in an underground garage and is limited and very tight. However, at $15 a day, it's a bargain in DC. You'll pay at least $25 or more downtown, more for valet. Close proximity to the Metro station (2-3 blocks) and high end shops is one of the hotel's best features. There are several restaurants in easy walking distance, more close by if you have a car. We ate at Clyde's (a DC area chain) and Indique Heights, both were very good. Popi's(?) Pizza closer to Nebraska Ave. was also good if you have a car for carryout or the appeared to deliver. The hotel is also close to AMerican University, but definitely not within walking distance.

All in all, an okay stay, more good than bad.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Mooresville, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We made the reservation over the internet...and you are never REALLY sure what you will find. This hotel was EXCELLENT! It is well located for METRO, shopping, and a variety of restaurants. It was squeaky clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful! It seemed to have been recently redecorated, and it was beautiful with lots of bright, happy colors! Internet access in lobby was great (I had not brought my own computer)! Parking was handy and the price for parking was good by DC standards! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase? Share your experiences!