“Very disappointed in room” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Chevy Chase
Pelham, New York
“Very disappointed in room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

How this could be the #1 ranked hotel in Chevy Chase is a mystery to me. Let me list the disappointments:
1. The garage is a forbidding labyrinth underneath the hotel with a maze of pillars and extraordinarily tight spaces. There should be an award for emerging without body damage.
2. The standard single king bed room is claustrophobic, and the bathroom has no tub.
3. The eco-friendly faucet in the bathroom has a feeble flow rate.
4. The heating/airconditioning unit sounds like a jet engine.
5. The idiotically installed room safe does not permit the closet doors to open or close properly, rendering half of the closet inaccessible.
6. Our room was not made up after the first night.
This hotel was designed by spreadsheet jockeys with no practical understanding of what contributes to human comfort. It is an embarrassment to the Marriott brand.

Room Tip: Do not choose the single king bed room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CYCC, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear HHovaness,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry you found our hotel to be an embarrassment to the Marriott brand; we have received many accolades for our LEED building design (of the hotel, we do not own or operate the garage) and I am troubled that you found the hotel to be such a disappointment. IWe do have over 70 guestrooms with bathtubs and even more King bedded rooms that are large with sofa beds in them. I apologize if these options were requested by you at check-in and were not available for the dates of your stay. In addition, I am concerned to hear you did not receive housekeeping service one night during your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at (301) 656-1500 x7010 if you would like to give me more details on your stay so that I may follow up personally on your concerns. Amy Harris, Director of Marketing

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My rating reflects the generosity and friendliness of the staff. They went out of their way to help: early check-in, easy bag storage, pleasant breakfast experience.

The room was clean and comfortable and the rate was reasonable. I was taking advantage of the Marriott Rewards offer of a free night for every two stays, so the cost will end up being a lot lower once I cash in my free-night certificate.

The Metro Red Line is three blocks down the street. Had dinner at nearby PF Chang's and dessert at Whole Foods Market. Two blocks to CVS. Other shopping and services very close. In other words, the location is great, unless you want to be closer to the heart of DC.

This was my second time at this hotel. I'd go back.

Dear Interested01,

I appreciate you taking time to review our hotel - thank you! It's nice to hear that you enjoyed our staff, guestrooms and location to metro, shops and dining. Best of all, its great to hear you will be back! We value your busines and look forward to having you as a loyal customer. Amy Harris, Director of Marketing
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Chevy Chase for two days this month in connection with an academic event. I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is, as others have noted, in a very upscale shopping district near (about three blocks away from) the Friendship Heights Metro station. Apart from dome popcorn fragments under the sofa in my room (which I found when I dropped something that rolled under the edge of the sofa), my room was clean and well-stocked with amenities (although it's impossible to get lotion, shampoo, and conditioner--all of which are great products--out of the containers in any quantities). I asked the staff for assistance on a number of things during the days I was there, and I got what I asked for in full immediately. I will look into staying here on future trips . . . .

Room Tip: Not any real views here. My room looked out the front of the hotel, and I could see Sachs Fifth Ave...
Dear Heminway,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel after your stay in April. I am pleased to hear our staff was very responsive to your needs and that you enjoyed your stay and will return. Also, thanks for letting us know about the popcorn under the sofa. I will be sure to tell our housekeeping supervisors so they can spot check that area in the rooms with couches. Amy Harris, Director of Marketing
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed 2 nights during cherry blossom time and were treated well. Maid service was excellent. Location is convenient to DC attractions, without the high rates downtown. Hope we stay in Chevy Chase again.

Room Tip: Parking costs $15 per night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear klep,

I am very happy that you felt you were treated well when you stayed with us during Cherry Blossom season. It is such a busy time for the area and we are glad you found our hotel to be convenient to Washington, D.C. attractions, and a value for the price paid. I especially appreciate your nice comment about our excellent housekeeping service and will be sure to pass it on to the Housekeeping Department! We look forward to your return to our hotel again in the future. Amy Harris, Director of Marketing
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Pros:
1. 5 minutes walking from Friendship Heights metro station
2. 2-5 minutes walking from lots of great shopping
3. Amazingly fast room service (and really delicious chicken quesadillas)
4. Modern lobby
5. Surprisingly well stocked "market" in the lobby open 24 hours
6. Lots of space to

Cons:
1. Glass and napkin left over from dinner room service did not get cleared by housekeeping the following day
2. Very small fitness room (and the tv on the one elliptical was broken with no sign indicating as such)
3. LEED Gold certified but do not really make a big deal of being eco-friendly (any more so than any other hotel)
4. Expensive for what/where it is - I stayed at a comparable hotel chain in downtown DC the preceding weekend for $100 less!
5. In-room internet was spotty (especially wifi) and at least one lobby PC was always malfunctioning (lack of maintenance, need to check on them more often)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello LaPortuguesa,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I appreciate your detail of the facilities and services you experienced during your stay and am happy that you feel we are a good option in Chevy Chase. It seems however, that you did experience some issues with housekeeping and the maintenance of our fitness and business center equipment, and I will absolutely pass these details on to each of those departments to research and rectify (if they haven't already done so). Thank you again for staying with us and bringing this to our attention. We know you have choices in the area and look forward to having you stay with us again. Amy Harris, Director of Marketing
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Rooms were nice, beds were hard. Paying for parking was difficult to swallow and breakfast was not cheap, but you are in DC. (Or at least a couple of blocks away) Were in town for DC Tap Fest. This was the closest hotel (about 8 blocks away).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CYCC, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for comments! I’m glad you enjoyed our location and the level of service we provided. I wish we managed the parking garage and could control the parking fees but unfortunately we do not – I have to pay for parking there too so I feel your pain! However, I do know that the parking fee is the lowest of the hotels in the area, and hope it won’t be a deal breaker for you. We do have control over the breakfast pricing and selection. We try to offer a wide range of options between our restaurant menu and our lobby market. The lobby market offers a variety of items made fresh daily such as fruit cups, yogurt parfaits, granola and milk, etc. These options are priced economically to give you additional options. I hope you check out what we offer in the market during your next visit. Thanks again for your review! Amy Harris
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I primarily selected this location due to its proximity to family, and while it is not much to look at from the outside the interior was wonderfully modern and comfortable. Our king room was spacious and well appointed and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Hotel parking was convenient and reasonable and there was plenty to do within easy walking distance (shopping, dining, jogging). Would definitely stay again! The only slight ding is that we like to take stairs and getting from the lobby to the 2nd floor via stairs is not easy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am happy you chose to stay with us during your visit to the area and then took the time to let us know your thoughts. We find that many guests choose our hotel because of its great location and are pleasantly surprised with our trendy decor and great amenities! I am sorry you found accessing the 2nd floor from the lobby, by stairwell, confusing. It has to do with local codes regarding stairwell exits and the fact that on the North side of the hotel the lobby is the lowest level and on the South side of the hotel the 2nd floor is the lowest level. Confusing - I know but you can access the second floor by elevator and then take the stairs up from there. Thanks again for your comments. Come back for a visit soon! Amy Harris

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase? Share your experiences!