“A Reasonable Option” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Chevy Chase
New York City, N.Y.
“A Reasonable Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The nondescript building exterior hides what is actually a fresh and tasteful interior, with all the conveniences that today's traveler expects: a good breakfast place, fitness room, good internet connection in the room, modern bathroom, comfortable bed, large TV, desk, safe, and even a sofabed which was comfortable as a couch. Our room was bright, cheerful, and nicely designed, and everything worked well. We did not find it small as some reviewers have, but took the option of having only one Kingsized bed in the room. Taking the advice of another Trip Advisor reviewer, we took a high floor room which was quiet. The only negative point was, as others have mentioned, the heating/airconditioning unit which had a loud fan. This was not much of a problem since we stabilized the room temperature for sleeping before we turned in, and were not disturbed by fan noise during the night. It would have been still nicer if the shower had had more force, but there was plenty of hot water, and we would rate the shower pressure as "adequate," if not "wonderful." I also should note that there was a $26. additional fee on our bill for various taxes, which raised the price of our room to $235. per night, perhaps higher than usual because our time there coincided with spring recess for many schools. Very important for those with sensitive backs--Marriott seems to consistently have very comfortable beds in our experience.

We were visiting family in the area of the hotel, but the proximity to the Metro made the hotel fine for our touring in D.C. as well. Can recommend the restaurants Clyde's, and Meiwah, both a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are 3 options for beds in the room. For a single or a couple, we liked the one...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CYCC, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
What a thorough review - thank you! I am happy you enjoyed your experience here and that the hotel design, guestrooms, breakfast, and amenities were to your liking. I am sorry about the HVAC unit noise you experienced. The guest room units are part of an energy management system that not only provide cooling and heat for the rooms, but also provide fresh air intake at regular intervals. Although the fans are set on low, some of our guest do find this disturbing. If you do return to our hotel, please notify us and we will have that feature turned off during your stay. The unit fan will still cycle, but only to cool and heat the room. Likewise, the shower is "low flow" as it is part of our water conservation program and guests do find it to be less forceful but definitely acceptable as water pressure goes. If you plan on coming back to our hotel please be sure to check out our discounted rates and packages for weekend stays on our website, some of these include breakfast, metro tickets, etc. to give you additional savings on your stay! Amy Harris

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at this Courtyard while visiting American University. The employees are very nice, rooms are clean. Breakfast was delicious, unfortunately it was not included with the room. The location is good, a couple of blocks to the metro and great shopping

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your nice words about our staff. I know your experience with our team members can make all the difference in the world, and am so happy they made you feel at home. Come back and stay with us again the next time you visit AU. Go Eagles! Amy Harris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Immaculate rooms, friendly staff and free coffee in the morning- perfect for a business stay. Good option of being slap bang in the middle of DC isn't a priority, but minutes from the train and a reasonable fare for a taxi.

• Stayed January 2013
Private
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Unlike other reviewers, I have found the Courtyard Marriot to always present an appealing boutique look since the renovation. Perhaps I have always lucked out on the nicer locations. This one was also attractively decorated. Definitely a step up from the cookie cutter box look. Here are some details for this particular location:

- In the middle of a high-end shopping district: Cartier, Tiffany's, etc.
- Surrounded by healthier food options: Panera, Whole Foods, etc.
- Offers free usage of bicycles
- A block from Friendship Heights metro station

The only complaint that I had was the heating system. There is a strange electrical pop in both the rooms I stayed. The sound is aggravating. I eventually turned off the heater, so I could get to sleep. To be honest, for that reason, I would not stay at the location again. However, others may not find the sound as annoying.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Rooms are small but comfortable. Shower is narrow and water flow extremely low. Shower door opens in...may be a safety concern. Closet is very shallow with hangers positioned at 90 degrees compared to typical. TV, work area and connections panel is great. Lots of electrical outlets well located. Good lighting. Employees are efficient, but unfortunately not customer focused. They look down at PC screens most of the time when speaking with guest. I mentioned the Hospitality Partners Company management and their heritage (which I would have expected to receive recognition...how often does a guest even know a management company) and barely received a nod. The PC-based airline boarding pass printing capability in the lobby is great, time saving, touch. I would return

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stay at Marriott hotels all over the country, but I generally shy away from the Courtyard chain. I'm just not a fan of the "motor inn" type of hotel that I associate with Courtyard.. The one in Chevy Chase is an exception. It is a Courtyard of the newer/boutique type. The lobby is nice, and has a small but good restaurant for breakfast. A highlight of the room was the bathroom, which is not typical of a Courtyard room. Large all glass shower was nice. I travel for work, which means I also work a lot in the room. I can't stand it when the hotel has extremely slow internet service, which is definitely NOT the case with this hotel. The internet was as fast as any hotel I've stayed in for quite a while. I did not get a chance to check out the exercise facility, which is generally very important to me (maybe next time). One negative about the room was the HVAC system. It's one of those that sits by the window, and like the rest of them....very noisy. I've stayed in several rooms at this hotel and the experience with the noisy HVAC was the same.

Room Tip: Two blocks to a metro stop, very convenient. Lots of restaurants a few blocks south. Capital Grill i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was a free night reward for us so I can't complain about an average hotel room. The hotel had been refreshed and it showed. The small lobby was clean and bright and so was our small room. In the lobby there is a nice bar with Starbucks drinks and that was very convenient as I was longing for a caramel coffee beverage to substitute for my dessert after dining earlier. The location of this hotel is excellent for people who like to shop and to dine or hop the Metro to DC. Chevy Chase is a very nice location for anything you want to do in the Metro area and we took full advantage of this central location to go to D.C., Chevy Chase and Bethesda.

My complaint is that this place charged $15 for the parking in an underground parking lot on the weekend. I found that to be too much as the lot was empty the night we stayed. I think it should be free or $5 per night if you are a guest of the hotel. Also while the room was very clean (spotless) it was small and so was the bathroom. It's great for a one or two night stay in the area. It was also very quiet and the people at the bar and the desk were very friendly and service oriented. There is free coffee service and a pay for breakfast as well.

Room Tip: This is a small hotel on a busy street but we did not hear any street noise as we were on the 9th fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase? Share your experiences!