“A Quality Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chevy Chase
Private
“A Quality Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Unlike other reviewers, I have found the Courtyard Marriot to always present an appealing boutique look since the renovation. Perhaps I have always lucked out on the nicer locations. This one was also attractively decorated. Definitely a step up from the cookie cutter box look. Here are some details for this particular location:

- In the middle of a high-end shopping district: Cartier, Tiffany's, etc.
- Surrounded by healthier food options: Panera, Whole Foods, etc.
- Offers free usage of bicycles
- A block from Friendship Heights metro station

The only complaint that I had was the heating system. There is a strange electrical pop in both the rooms I stayed. The sound is aggravating. I eventually turned off the heater, so I could get to sleep. To be honest, for that reason, I would not stay at the location again. However, others may not find the sound as annoying.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Rooms are small but comfortable. Shower is narrow and water flow extremely low. Shower door opens in...may be a safety concern. Closet is very shallow with hangers positioned at 90 degrees compared to typical. TV, work area and connections panel is great. Lots of electrical outlets well located. Good lighting. Employees are efficient, but unfortunately not customer focused. They look down at PC screens most of the time when speaking with guest. I mentioned the Hospitality Partners Company management and their heritage (which I would have expected to receive recognition...how often does a guest even know a management company) and barely received a nod. The PC-based airline boarding pass printing capability in the lobby is great, time saving, touch. I would return

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stay at Marriott hotels all over the country, but I generally shy away from the Courtyard chain. I'm just not a fan of the "motor inn" type of hotel that I associate with Courtyard.. The one in Chevy Chase is an exception. It is a Courtyard of the newer/boutique type. The lobby is nice, and has a small but good restaurant for breakfast. A highlight of the room was the bathroom, which is not typical of a Courtyard room. Large all glass shower was nice. I travel for work, which means I also work a lot in the room. I can't stand it when the hotel has extremely slow internet service, which is definitely NOT the case with this hotel. The internet was as fast as any hotel I've stayed in for quite a while. I did not get a chance to check out the exercise facility, which is generally very important to me (maybe next time). One negative about the room was the HVAC system. It's one of those that sits by the window, and like the rest of them....very noisy. I've stayed in several rooms at this hotel and the experience with the noisy HVAC was the same.

Room Tip: Two blocks to a metro stop, very convenient. Lots of restaurants a few blocks south. Capital Grill i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was a free night reward for us so I can't complain about an average hotel room. The hotel had been refreshed and it showed. The small lobby was clean and bright and so was our small room. In the lobby there is a nice bar with Starbucks drinks and that was very convenient as I was longing for a caramel coffee beverage to substitute for my dessert after dining earlier. The location of this hotel is excellent for people who like to shop and to dine or hop the Metro to DC. Chevy Chase is a very nice location for anything you want to do in the Metro area and we took full advantage of this central location to go to D.C., Chevy Chase and Bethesda.

My complaint is that this place charged $15 for the parking in an underground parking lot on the weekend. I found that to be too much as the lot was empty the night we stayed. I think it should be free or $5 per night if you are a guest of the hotel. Also while the room was very clean (spotless) it was small and so was the bathroom. It's great for a one or two night stay in the area. It was also very quiet and the people at the bar and the desk were very friendly and service oriented. There is free coffee service and a pay for breakfast as well.

Room Tip: This is a small hotel on a busy street but we did not hear any street noise as we were on the 9th fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel is located in a very vibrant area of Chevy Chase. Lots of restaurants, high end shopping, Loehmans and right by a metro station. Staff was great, hotel clean, food good and service terrific. Only negative was that there was no brunch service on Sunday, but plenty of other restaurants in the area to choose from.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The room was large, comfortable, but the closet horrendous and very poorly designed. There was basically one rack to hang things one behind the other. Parking was $15 , but there was no attendant on weekdends and the lot was only 1/3 full. ANYBODY in the area could have parked for free!. The hotel should not charge for parking on weekends! We could have used another towel rack in the bathroom; certainly there is room for one. We did not have hot water one morning. The front desk people were very apologetic and gave us a fair reimbursement for our inconvenience. The hotel has a nice fitness area. The hotel is in a very lovely area, conventient to the Metro and lot's of restaurants and shopping nearby. The restaurant is very good.. Unfortunately, we asked for a room away from the elevator, but even on a weekday and early arrival, , the staff would not honor our request. As it turns out, we could hear the elevator, but it was very quiet, so it did not present a major problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Scranton, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I would have absolutely loved to give this property the complete amount of "circles". Unfortunately, there were some minor details that should not have been something I would encounter. Working for this brand myself in another state, I can easily tell if things are not correct.

We pulled up to the Courtyard, went in to register and I of course was asked for a credit card for incidentals. We were staying here for my boyfriend's interview with Geico which is conveniently located just a few blocks away so the room charge was being direct billed. Upon first arrival the front desk supervisor checked us in and was friendly but seemed disinterested (I am going to attribute this to how busy they were because she was very friendly when we asked her for delivery recommendations and teased about how cold we looked).

Manny and Olgas was fast and FANTASTIC, a recommendation by the front desk and they had the ability to order online so I could verify my order.

The room was SPOTLESS. I am a stickler for clean hotel rooms ( I pull down the sheets and all) and was very impressed. Our room attendants name was Augustina G and she did such a wonderful job on our room, even the back of the TV was dust free. Very impressive.

During the night the AC clicked and was very loud, but these things happen.

Housekeeping did not wait for us to check out though before they knocked and tried to enter the room in the later morning though, which was rather disconcerting but I got a very sincere apology.

Upon check out I noticed that my receipt was not correct. I still had a balance of 211 and some odd change (on check out your balance should be zero and with the Courtyard system is would show what charges were charged to which card/Direct Bill). The clerk, Tiana, informed me that my card had not been authorized or swiped for incidentals on check in, so I was very glad that I stopped at the desk before leaving. After some time she was able to remedy the situation and things were fine.

Our room was located right off the elevator and it was actually incredibly quiet!

Some things that I would like to note about the service in this hotel:
- When I asked about areas that would be good for a young couple to settle down they were more than willing to accommodate by helping me find websites and directing me to areas that were less expensive than Chevy Chase.
- My boyfriend had a day long interview so I spent a lot of time in the lobby (in fact, I am here now) and the lunch waitress came and asked me if I would like a glass of ice water which I thought was very nice since she had noticed I had been in the lobby for a long time and I wasn't even in the lunch area
- The staff was genuinely concerned about the well being of my property and those staying there who are victims of Hurricane Sandy which meant a lot.
- Carlos who was our waiter at breakfast was so very friendly!!

While there is room for some staff improvement (I do not know how long any of the desk clerks have been there) I appreciate their pride in diversity (their name tags show where they are from) and their friendliness when approached. At times though, I wish they would have acknowledged me as the lunch waitress did. I wish I knew her name, unfortunately I was on hold on the phone at the time and failed to pay enough attention.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chevy Chase
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy C...
#11 of 136 in Washington DC
4.0 of 5 stars 766 reviews
Bethesda Court Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bethesda
4.0 of 5 stars 311 reviews

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chevy Chase? Share your experiences!