This howard johnson was a good value for your money. With the complimentary shuttle service it made it very convenient to get to the metro station to get to the central DC sights. Complimentary breakfast was also a plus for the money. The rooms were decently sized and included a fridge. The breakfast buffet was also decent with a good selection and variety. there is a walmart and a local Grand Mart grocery store about a 15 minute walk away in addition to other eateries (mcd's, bk, panda express). There is also a good italian restaurant on the grounds. The hotel also had a laundry area (2 washers and 2 dryers) which allowed guests to wash their clothes while there.
One suggestion, during the busy season and busy days management might want to consider starting breakfast a littler earlier. Some days the breakfast area was very busy, no place to sit and you had to wait to get to the food. Many took their breakfast and went back to their rooms since there was no place to sit. By opening up earlier (a half hour but maybe even an hour earlier would be good) it will allow guests to get an early start and avoid the big breakfast crowds.
While convenient, the shuttle service was sometimes unpredictable. On a couple of days we had to wait at the cheverly metro station over an hour for the shuttle to arrive. One evening there was another (foreign) group who was waiting much longer (over an hour and 45 minutes) for the shuttle (they called a few times but was given the run around), then when the shuttle driver arrived he made a detour to pick up another person, looked like a friend. While relatively safe at the metro station I wouldn't recommend having to wait an hour for the shuttle and at 9:30 pm it might have seemed a little unsafe waiting without any security in the area. One day I also waited over an hour at the metro station (at 4 pm). I know this is a "perk" but it would be nice if the service were more timely, possibly a staff shortage problem? Also, during the mornings, the shuttle was sometimes filled and people had to wait for the next shuttle. For guests on a schedule this could have been a problem, management might want to consider using multiple shuttles or having the shuttle driver leave earlier if there are a lot of guests needing the shuttle, especially those on a schedule or there are lots of suitcases. Another suggestion might be shuttles on the half hour to allow for the morning rush. I was there 10 minutes prior to the 9 am shuttle with my suitcases but had to wait for the next shuttle as the 9 am shuttle was filled to capacity. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry but I went out early so I could get a seat, which didn't happen. In the mean time the shuttle was waiting at the hojo with lots guests waiting, the driver should have taken the guests waiting since the clipboard showed a lots of guests needing the shuttle at that particular time.
Since the prices were good for this howard johnson it was usually busy with youngsters which sometimes made it noisy and congested.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Washington Dc North/Bw Parkway Hotel Cheverly
- Howard Johnson Washington Dc North/Bw Parkway Hotel
- Howard Johnson Cheverly
- Cheverly Howard Johnson
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Howard Johnson Inn Washington DC North / BW Parkway hotel, located just off the Baltimore-Washington Parkway near Interstate 95. Our Cheverly hotel near University of Maryland College Park offers the comforts and conveniences you expect at a reliable value. Start your morning with a smile and help yourself to free Rise & Dine continental breakfast with hot items. Take advantage of our free Wi-Fi Internet access, on-site fitness center, business facilities, sunny outdoor pool,in-room refrigerators,24-hour front desk,shuttle service and free large-vehicle parking. Some rooms offer work desks and sofa beds. Kids 17 and under stay free with an adult at our pet-friendly hotel.Our Cheverly hotel is only a 20-minute drive from downtown Washington, DC. Make sure to see iconic landmarks like Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and the White House. Pay respects to those who served the country at Vietnam Memorial and World War II Memorial. Take the family to Six Flags America, or learn something exciting at Smithsonian Institute. Head to FedExField to watch a Washington Redskins football game, RFK Stadium to watch D.C. United play soccer, or Verizon Center for a Wizards basketball game. Join us at Fratelli’s Italian Restaurant on-site at our Cheverly hotel for a tasty meal at your convenience. Head to Franklin’s Restaurant, Brewery & General Store just a mile and a half away for a hearty meal and beers brewed on-site. Try other popular local restaurants like Three Brothers Italian Restaurant, Mexico Lindo Restaurant or Crossroads Caribbean Restaurant.Let our free shuttle service escort you to and from the D.C. Metro Cheverly Station and Prince George's Hospital Center.Our hotel in Cheverly features a lobby business center with copy and fax service. We also offer meeting and banquet facilities for your next event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Wyndham, Booking.com, Olotels, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Howard Johnson Washington DC North/BW Parkway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.