“Best crabcakes on the Eastern Shore” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 33 Restaurants in Chestertown
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Chestertown, Maryland
“Best crabcakes on the Eastern Shore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I was lucky enough to live in Chestertown for over a decade and the Blue Heron was then, and now -- when I make occasional trips back home -- my favorite restaurant. The ambience is reasonably charming, the service is usually proficient enough but what I really love about the place is its small town feel (with a sophisticated vibe), a wine list that offers insanely reasonable mark-ups when you buy a bottle, and, saving the best for last, fantastic food.

Specifically, as a Maryland native, it's high praise for me to laud the Blue Heron's crabcakes as consistently the best I've ever had. The best. Lump meat held together with unobtrusive filler, broiled so that they are crispy on top. And the buerre blanc sauce (totally gorgeous and appropriate and for this traditionalist -- who knew?) is a delightful enhancement (though do be sure to order it served on the side so you can make your own choice about whether to drench the crab or not).

My only lament about the Blue Heron is that as the recession has hit Chestertown hard, this locals' place has had to pull back. The menu offers fewer choices than before. Some of my favorite alternatives to the crabcake, such as sweetbreads or cioppino, weren't on the menu on a recent visit and I wasn't the only one, among my dining pals (some of whom are still local) to be disappointed. But even then -- they found ample substitutes. And the Blue Heron is no longer open for lunch and I hope that changes someday but get that the economy's impact on both the local business trade and the sightseeing daytripper has put the kibosh on that indulgence.

Annapolis, MD
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

My wife and I had dinner at the Blue Heron Cafe in November of 2009 to celebrate our anniversary. Probably one of the top five meals we've ever had. Wait staff was kind and efficient, oyster fritters were the best we've ever had, my crab cakes the best I've ever had, and my wife's seafood pasta dish also excellent. Dessert was good, wines great as well. Just a great dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
DC
“Discriminatory, OVER pri$$$ed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

We made reservations for 8pm. We arrioved at 750pm. It was a rainy night. We were told by the owner- will call him a gentleman. Since Im not rude as he was. He told us that they were busy and wont be able to seat us till after 820. He told us tht we can take a walk around town. So, we went off to walk in the rain. As we were leaving another couple entered the restaurant.
We walked for about 20 minutes and then decided to wait in our car till till 820. We then went back. Remember, the couple that was entering the restaurant when we left....they were seated and were on thier appetizer. At this point there were 6 people waiting. The owner came and said that he will take care of us. One couple was seted in the front., . then the other couple was seated in ther front Then to our suprise we were next, (it is now 840pm). We were guided to the back of the restaurant next to the kitchen. The waitress showed up and took our wine order. The wine arrived a few minutes later, since we were starving by this point we ordered our entree. Im not sure what went on behind the scenes.. At this point our bottle of wine is gone. We didnt even have bread on the table to fill our gap. The entree arrived 40minutes from when we ordered. It took us less time to finish our entree than it took them to seat us.

Oh!! ps. did i mention that one of us was "black"..................

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rising Sun, IN
“DELICIOUS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Nice atmosphere, owner/host not that personable to the 'out-of- towners" like ourselves. Wait staff, although busy and a bit stiff, were sufficeint. The ginger carrot soup was a melody that exploded in your mouth....fabulous! The crab cakes; some of the very best I've had. full bar with nice beer/wine selection. Well worth visiting!

PA
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

Having heard good things about this restaurant, and knowing it was small, I made reservations a week in advance for a week night reservation. Our party of four was escorted to a table in the back, near the kitchen although the cafe was only about half full.. (I believe the reason for this was the attire of our dinner companions.) Our meal was o.k., the oyster fritters were not as flavorful as we expected and our server didn't seemed interested in making this a good dining experience for us.

• 3 of 5 stars Food