“Ask the locals -- this place is more than just sketchy.” 1 of 5 stars

Driftwood Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   609 Washington Avenue, Chestertown, MD 21620   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Chestertown B&B and Inns
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Ask the locals -- this place is more than just sketchy.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Warning: this review will be 100% true, from the point of view of a world traveler (and not a 1st class world traveler, let me assure you of that. More like cheap motel check in at the middle of the night world traveler).
This hotel is a nightmare. When we first pulled into the parking lot towards the back, we saw a few people looking sketchy and jumpy, but we wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. After that, we found the main area and attempted to check in. I say attempted because, despite seeing our confirmation of reservations on the phone, he told us that ‘someone booked a room a month ago, so they get the room we booked’ and failed to understand (or rather, listen) that we booked a room, so they really should have had it available before they let it out. My dad had to fight for a room, and during his time trying to find a new room, two other people came in to complain about not being able to get into their room (at which point the guy started checking them out before realizing that no, they didn’t want to be checked out, they wanted a new key). Once in our room, it smells like mildew, the sheets have a smell/stain that are not family safe, and really, there’s nothing even remotely ‘luxurious’ about this.
When my family and I attempted to look for other hotels in the area, we mentioned we were staying in a bit of a bad hotel and not only did other hotels immediately make a worried face and ask if we were staying at the driftwood inn, they told us to get out. No, this wasn’t because they were trying to take our business – these places were sold out and this is a small area where everyone looks out for each other. This was because of the reputation this place has amongst the locals.
This hotel is unsafe, in every sense of the world. Yes, it has a shower – I’d rather be showering barefoot at a University communal dorm. Yes, it has beds – I’d rather be camping. If it wasn’t for my mentally handicapped little sister’s need for basic electricity, I’d go park the car in a nicer spot and spend the night in the car.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. And if you do, bring a sleeping bag for on-top of the beds. And don't bring...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jay D, Guest Relations Manager at Driftwood Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
I am so sorry to hear that your most recent stay with us did not meet your expectations of quality
service, accommodations and hospitality. Thank you so much for your thorough review of our hotel's policies, layout, and accommodations. We value your opinion and suggestions for improvement as these comments help us to improve
upon the guest experience at our hotel.
This issue is being addressed with our staff and management. I do thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I assure you that we are correcting
this issue for improved convenience in future visits.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edgewater, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

After avoiding the bed on the first night of a business trip due to the curly hairs I found hidden within it, I also discovered the need to share the restroom with insects. I didn't find the time to cancel the remainder of my stay until after their standard check-out times. They refused to refund me for the second night that I did NOT spend there, and also charged me for taxes despite my tax-exempt status. When I called them after the conclusion of the business trip, they took down my information but never returned my call to correct anything. While the price may tempt you, please avoid staying here for the sake of your health and peace of mind.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
I am very sorry to hear that you experienced such unusual circumstances and inconveniences
during your most recent stay with us, especially that we were not able to address the issues and
misunderstandings right away. Thank you for sharing your experience so that we can benefit from your perspective of our hospitality and services. Thank you for sharing your honest and constructive review, rating, and evaluation of our
services and accommodations.
Collierville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My mother and I took a trip to chestertown for a music festival that I'm attending, and we arrived at the driftwood inn to stay for a night (we reserved a room about a month ago). As soon as we got there, we drove around the back to check the area out, and the back side is extremely run down and beaten up, so hoping we got a room in the front, we went into the so-called lobby. The manager was extremely rude, and did not look presentable at all (he had a stained undershirt on). He finally gave us our room, and we proceeded to unpack. The curtains are hung by needles punctured through the curtain onto the wall. It smelled of mold and old smoke (even though it wasn't a smoking room supposedly). I pulled back the sheets and saw that there were stains all over the pillows, and the comforter smelled like it hadn't been washed in over 30 visitors. The carpet was stained, and the furniture didn't match. Next thing is the view of the pool, it was empty (which would normally be okay with me if they were planning on renovating or fixing it) but the vinyl siding was tearing off, and the bottom was a pile of dirt. We were checking things for about 10 minutes until we were so grossed out that we went back to demand our money back. The manager proceeded to say that our room is one of the nicer ones in the front, and he puts all of the stand-up looking white people in the front. He then stated that he puts the trashy looking black people in the rear part of the inn. I argued with him for about 5 minutes, and he kept telling me that it took me 30 minutes to come back to him to complain and that's too much time because I used his amenities. He said this was in the no-refund policy (of which he would not show me this policy). We are trying to get the bank to de-authorize this purchase, and we are contacting many agencies such as the better business bureau to run this place into the ground. NO ONE deserves to stay here. I've stayed in travelodges for half the price that blow this place out of the water.

• Stayed May 2014
misunderstandings right away. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and detailed review regarding your most recent stay. It is our ultimate goal to give each guest the best value and most comfortable and convenient
experience at the most affordable rate. For this reason, our rates are competitive within the
area, and I sincerely apologize if you did not receive your money's worth in accommodations
and hospitality.
Our staff is held to a high standard of hospitality and I hope you will accept our sincerest
apologies if you were not addressed with a smile in every communication. I assure you that each issue mentioned is being investigated and addressed and we thank you
for taking the time to point out the areas where we can improve upon the guest experience. Thank you!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This was absurd. Desk clerk was rude, there were two women out front at 11PM who explained we needed to check the sheets prior to sleeping because of the "action". The room was horrible. Our reservation was not held by the office, and we had to "take what's left" as it was explained to us.

Room Tip: Just stay away - comfort inn and holiday inn express nearby use them.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
should have been promptly attended to. I hope you will accept our sincerest apologies for the service that you did not receive regarding
the necessity of correcting such issues as quickly as possible.
for taking the time to point out the areas where we can improve upon the guest experience. We hope to see you again someday and to transform your opinion of our hotel and service.
New Castle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I was in Chestertown for an event this past weekend and had booked this motel a few weeks earlier. My wife drove down (about 45 miles) to join me on Saturday night but when she walked into the room she was put off by the smell of stale cigarette smoke and the condition of the room. We both decided she would drive back home and I would stay the night for my final morning of my event in Chestertown. I awoke at 3:30 am and turned on the lamp and found bedbugs crawling on the bedsheets. I decided to sit in a desk chair until sunrise when I would leave. I captured one of the bugs between two foam cups to show the manager. Meanwhile I noticed the accumulated dust and dirt around the legs of the bed and baseboard and also the broken toilet seat (one attachment was very loose).
Leaving at 7:20am the front office was locked but there was a posted notice to drop the room keys through a slot. After my event concluded in town I returned to the motel around 12:45. The manager, who is very difficult to understand with his accent, yelled through a closed door, "Just leave the keys." He finally came out and I told him about the bugs. He questioned my truthfulness until I produced the cup with the bug in it (it was still in the trashcan outside the door). He was emotional with me and threw the blame on me that I should have called him and he would have put me in another room. I would have had NO confidence in any other room. He had an extended and conversation on his cell phone with the owner who then spoke with me. I explained the situation but he was harder to understand than the manager but I thought he asked me what I wanted. I therefore just told him that I would report the establishment to the Maryland Public Health Department and that I would report my bad experience on TripAdvisor and then I left.
I regret I didn't act on my first and skeptical impressions of this place.... run down, almost no other cars in the parking lot (during a busy weekend) and the confusion of the manager who at times was brusque. I always check TripAdvisor before I book anything. Had I done so I would have found all the similar disastrous reviews.

Room Tip: Avoid this motel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
We thank you for taking time to write a review and to point out the possibility of a pest problem. We take all reports of lacking service and issues with amenities and accommodations seriously,
particularly those that you have raised. Of course, we did make a point of ordering an unscheduled visit and a thorough treatment for any insects that you may have seen within your room. I regret to read that you found this experience to be so unsatisfactory due to issues which
should have been promptly attended to. We appreciate the time you've taken to give us your thoughtful review. We will address the maintenance task right away for the benefit of our future guests, which
hopefully will include yourself.
I hope you'll change your mind about seeking other accommodations in the area and that you'll
give us the opportunity to impress you with our continuous improvements.
Fryeburg, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This motel has a computerized card that you have to slide to get into your room.

It was an insecure feeling to never know how many times I would have to slide my card for the door of my motel room to open.

At one point I had to go the office to tell the owner I was locked out and he was rude to me and said, "WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?"

I really do not like being in the way or being demanding.

They were able to fix my card but not without a big hassle.

Room Tip: Make sure your door opens on the first attempt for safety.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Riverdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I read the really bad reviews here and was kind of nervous about our upcoming trip. But the room was fine--a little shabby, but clean and quiet. The A/C worked well. The pool was empty, but a pool wasn't advertised, so that wasn't a big disappointment. The desk clerk was rather brusque but did what he needed to do. The rate seemed a little high for the condition of the hotel, but there was a lot going on in the area, it was a summer weekend, and all the other hotels in the area were booked.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Driftwood Inn? Share your experiences!