“LOCKED OUT OF ROOM SEVERAL TIMES” 2 of 5 stars

Driftwood Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   609 Washington Avenue, Chestertown, MD 21620   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Chestertown B&B and Inns
Fryeburg, Maine
“LOCKED OUT OF ROOM SEVERAL TIMES”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This motel has a computerized card that you have to slide to get into your room.

It was an insecure feeling to never know how many times I would have to slide my card for the door of my motel room to open.

At one point I had to go the office to tell the owner I was locked out and he was rude to me and said, "WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?"

I really do not like being in the way or being demanding.

They were able to fix my card but not without a big hassle.

Room Tip: Make sure your door opens on the first attempt for safety.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Riverdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I read the really bad reviews here and was kind of nervous about our upcoming trip. But the room was fine--a little shabby, but clean and quiet. The A/C worked well. The pool was empty, but a pool wasn't advertised, so that wasn't a big disappointment. The desk clerk was rather brusque but did what he needed to do. The rate seemed a little high for the condition of the hotel, but there was a lot going on in the area, it was a summer weekend, and all the other hotels in the area were booked.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Laurel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Thankfully, my husband and I did not stay here and we were able to find suitable lodging in a nearby town. We were in town for a triathlon and had booked a room online a few months prior to the race. When we arrived at the motel, the manager hesitated to give me back my credit card and personal identification. He was very hard to understand and he was also very rude. When we got to our room, it smelled badly of smoke, mildew, and there was mold everywhere. We immediately requested another room; which turned out to be just as bad. As we were checking out the second room, two of the tenants near our room began fighting, which required the police and an ambulance. Both tenants were taken to the hospital. At first, the manager said he would give us a partial refund and then he changed his mind, stating that we'd stayed an hour. It is obvious that homeless and other derelict persons occupy parts of this motel. I'm disputing the credit card charge and I've filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, the Kent County Health Department, and the Maryland Attorney General's Consumer Complaints Office.

This place is not a motel. It's a dump that should be condemned. Sleep in your car instead!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. Do not stay here!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Never again!!! I booked this room for my wife, two kids and myself to stay in for a triathlon the next day in Rock Hall, they really were the last resort. Reception service was very discourteous, it was like I was interrupting them to get checked in. I had e-mailed a few weeks earlier for a late checkout and gotten the word that is was no problem but when I checked at the desk to verify again there was an extra charge although I had an E-mail from the manager. He said he was the new manager and that's what the policy was. Told him no thanks and went to the room. There weren't enough towels and had to go ask from the front desk - they ran out and I got one bath towel and two hand towels, plus they were of questionable cleanliness. There was no wifi in the room although it was available if you are closer to the main office. When I inquired about it I was told my computer was broken. Everything that is advertised under the amenities is there, however, just realize that it's not the greatest. If you just need a place to lay your head down and sleep it fits the bill, but don't go in expecting to feel at ease. If the front desk staff had been friendlier it would've helped by lead and bounds but they apparently know all too well about the inadequacies and don't want to do anything about them. I serve in the military and have stayed in my share do questionable places overseas - this place was by far the WORST! Avoid at all costs and save your money and sanity.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This place is a dump. We reserved two rooms with two queen beds. They only had one room with one bed. The ceiling had leaked and not been repaired properly. The hot tub was out of order. There was no wi-fi service. The tv remote didn't work. The check-in service was poor. The swimming pool was half full of dirty water. The room was overpriced. The bed was hard. Do not stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Winchester, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Horrible stay!! At check in one couple who made a reservation over a year ago and they didn't have it. They had ours hut didn't act like they knew what to do. Dirty room!! Called early to get some towels the next morning and got told they were sleeping. Never got a towel. Would like to know who the owners are. Sure would not stay here ever again!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, run! When we pulled into the parking lot, we said it's just one night; however, we did not make it the one night. We checked in as housekeeping was "cleaning" our room and once I saw the mattress, I could not sleep there. We ate the cost of the room and continued our ride home. It was so filthy and disgusting. The owners make money because people book rooms on-line and once someone sees the rooms, they walkway without a refund. Then the owners re-rent the room. As we were leaving, we noticed that there was a family with 2 young children living in one of the rooms. The children were knocking on the door to get back into the room; however, there was a male voice on the other side of the door asking for a password before he would let them in. I have no clue what that was about but I'm assuming that they are running drugs out of the room.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Driftwood Inn? Share your experiences!