“Great meal, with a wonderful view” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
North Springfield, VA
“Great meal, with a wonderful view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We heard about Bayard House from the innkeeper of the place we were visiting, and stopped by for a 7:00 p.m. dinner on a Saturday. The food and service were top-notch, and the building was a real treat. We really enjoyed the view of the canal during dinner. The food selection is largely seafood (not surprising), but the menu is diverse enough to fit most palates. We're definitely returning!

• Visited March 2013

Newark, DE
“Very surprised how rudely we were treated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went with my spouse, brother, and sister in law 6 PM on a Friday evening. We were looking for a relaxing evening with some beer/wine/light fare. We were dressed nicely. As soon as we walked in the bartender rolled his eyes. The only table with 4 chairs was occupied and the space is very narrow, so pushing 2 tables together was not feasible. We decided to sit at the bar, but after a few minutes of loud overhead music drowning out conversation and listening to the bartender's sarcasm, we got up and left. We went upstairs and ate. The food was good, but it cost twice what we'd budgeted for the evening. ($77 for hubby and I, not including tip).The waitstaff upstairs wasn't much friendlier. This used to be a nice place to eat. What with Schaefer's Canal House across the way (and doing booming business) I'd thought they'd at least try to show some hospitality. We won't be going back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“"Salt and pepper to Taste, the first culinary lesson.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

A last minute " Let's take a ride to the Bayard for an early dinner" idea!! We'll get a nice bottle of wine, ...etc, etc. I called at 8am. Saturday and got a 4pm reservation. Having been regular customers for 10+ years we have seen changes in chefs and some wait staff.We had not made the trip for a year & were excited. The servers are always a pleasure and the view peacefull. We love the oysters raw and fried. This visit the batter was a bit salty , but the oysters still plump and nice. The regular menu is always wonderful, but not so with the Special Valentine choices. The Beef Wellington looked beautiful, but was flavorless. The Seafood selection was a nice combination that also lacked seasoning. No burst of flavors not even in the mushrooms stuffed with crab! A Good meal that could have been Great !!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Lawrenceville
“Eating our way thru Chesapeake City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

On our last night in Chesapeake City, I wanted to get a little more dressy than the jeans I had been wearing all day. So I put on my more slinky shirt along with cotton slacks and off we went to the Bayard House, just around the corner from where we were staying (Ship Watch Inn). Another great meal! The table with the waterside view gave a majestic opportunity to watch the current and boat traffic on the canal. The waitstaff was attentive, but not overbearing. And the food was fantastic. I started with Oysters on the Half Shell, which were just the right temperature, cool, but not to too cold to take away the flavor, and just the right size to be enjoyed. My husband shared, and while raw Oysters are not his favorite, he enjoyed them too. His Seafood Chowder was full of fresh, flavorful shrimp, clams, and scallops in a just right spicy tomato broth. My Rockfish Oscar with Crab Imperial melted in my mouth. It was a nice pre-Valentines dinner that will be remembered (favorably) for a long time!

Warwick, Maryland
“Fantastic food, atmosphere and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My family and I have been dining at the Bayard House for many years. It is the place we go for birthdays, graduations and anniversaries, especially after ownership of the restaurant was transferred over recent years to Wernie Wiesenegger. Wernie greats us like old friends every time we go and his wait staff is exceptional in their attention to quality and service. Our favorite, Marie, remembers our preferred order items like we are regulars, even though we visit once a month or so. She proves how dedicated she is by treating us like special guests at the Bayard House. Marie is #1 in our book. Good food, romantic atmosphere, and genuine attention from the owner and the wait staff can't be beat! I am very suspicious of the "Hole in the wall" reviews because I know that consistency in quality and service is how this restaurant is managed. No question about that.
Sincerely, Carla and Jack Eaton (Warwick, MD)

• Visited January 2013