“Wow” 5 of 5 stars

4165 Mears Avenue, Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rod 'N' Reel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: MD Rt. 261
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Raging we stayed in the hotel and only got to eat in here on our last night. We went out exploring the rest of the time but our meal here was amazing. We were lucky and went on a night when there was a special deal on a 3 course meal. Every course was fantastic (and I'm no pushover when it comes to expecting high standards when eating out.) Our server (Stephen I think) was charming and so helpful. Mind you he did advise us that all of the wines were half price that evening so he was already well underway to being our favourite person lol. In all seriousness he was attentive and helpful without being intrusive. The food was hot and my steak was really delicious! We were blown away when we got the bill a it was so reasonable. Maybe a lucky night to choose to eat there with the wine deal but definitely give it a consideration. Our experience cannot be faulted. Well done all.

Bethesda, MD
“Expect Better Rockfish This Close to the Bay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had crab imperial stuffed rockfish. The imperial was good, but not great, but the rockfish was overcooked and parts were hard as rock. Our guest who had eaten here many times recommended the beef; we should have taken the cue.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lorin J, Marketing Coordinator at Rod 'N' Reel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent dining experience. We apologize that the rockfish was overcooked and you did not enjoy your meal. We have let the chef and kitchen staff know of this issue to ensure that this problem is fixed immediately and our food is not being overcooked. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
New Market, Maryland, United States
“The view is great. The food, ehh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

this review encompasses three visits. I always want to go here. I drive past it at least twice a day as I am a local. But the food is medicore at best. In fact after my last, and I do mean last, dinner here, I told my son the only way i would eat here again was if we came just for cocktails. And he said "Mom, you don't drink" and I said "Exactly!"

The first meal we had here was a family visit for Mother's Day. We all had the lobster special (6 of them!) and it was very good. Three and half to four stars.

The second was a mother-son dinner. We order the shrimp and chorizo appetizer which was shrimp and chorizo in a baking dish. It was not well thought out. It just didn't work. Then he ordered a fried seafood platter and ate maybe a third of it. I ordered something I thought would be ok, a caesar salad. It was yellow romaine lettuce and some grocery store croutons and that was it. And I ordered a cup of maryland crab soup which was not good. It was watery and bland. I make this soup and its not hard...this was bad. Second meal, two stars. And expensive! Especially for not great food.

Then I swore off the Rod and Reel (my husband had already sworn it off) but was invited there for a lunch with some friends. So I went. I played it as safe as possible and ordered a blt and soup. It was acceptable. The soup was better this time. So this meal three stars.

I want to like this place because I am a local and the setting is great and the resort is nice and I think it is overall an asset to the community. But It's not very good. And who wants to go out for food that you pay a good amount for and it is ehh at best? If it didn't have the resort guests eating in the dining room, I don't see how this place could stay in business.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kingsville, Maryland
“Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Had a fantastic lunch and a wonderful dinner in a lovely atmosphere with old friends. Service was friendly and timely, reservations easy, menu varied and something for everyone.

Laurel, Maryland
“Expensive for average food and flies”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I ate lunch here over the weekend, and were a bit disappointed. The view of the water was nice, but the food was just average and expensive. The worst part were the constant flies circling our heads while we were trying to eat. If I ever return to this area, I will try another place.

Visited September 2013
Lorin J, Marketing Coordinator at Rod 'N' Reel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent dining experience with us. We are glad you enjoyed the view and are sorry to hear that the rest of your experience did not meet your expectations. We have talked with management about the flies to ensure that this issue is corrected immediately. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you will give us another chance in the future.