“My Favorite Place for Crabs” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Columbia, Maryland
“My Favorite Place for Crabs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

As a Baltimore boy, to say a restaurant is a favorite place for steamed blue crabs (hopefully from the Chesapeake Bay but you never know they could be from South America which increasingly is a big seafood export region), you ain't whistling Dixie, as the saying goes. Great fat succulent steaming crabs thoroughly and liberally doused with Old Bay Seasoning (accept no substitutes especially anything from McCormick although they are a historic local employer and they ain't many of those left in Bmore). Consistently great patient service-you can spend hours there and we do.Unless you like climbing steps, try to get seated on the lower level or in the warm weather on their great deck overlooking old town Catonsville. In addition to crabs, their seafood dishes are all real good particularly the fresh fish catches but stay away from the other dishes-I recently had the veal parmigan and it was only fair although there was a lot of it sitting on top of a ton of spaghetti.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
Catonsville, Maryland
“Very good place for crabs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Everyone seems to get crabs here. They lay the brown paper over your table and drop your crabs in the middle and you and friends have a great time. Lots of fried foods beside that. Good beer. Great place to meet friends.

Visited October 2013
Columbia MD
“Good food Great Crabs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My uncle and his family were in town in April and wanted crabs - a lot of places did not have them yet, Ship's Cafe did. We went there with the whole crew and had a great night. Officially they had only mediums and smalls but when we got there the waitress told us they had just received some jumbos so we took them. The crabs along with all of their oyster specials were great!. Watiress was very nice and helpful to the kids who were with us and did not want crabs. She got them fries, child-friendly drinks, and some crayons. Loved the crabs - -this has become our new go-to place.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“poor customer service from the OWNER!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

THE WORST DINING EXPERIENCE EVER......in 5yrs family and I have supported this establishment but tonight I had a bad run in with the owner....WOW!!! I was humilatated, yelled at, and accused of causing what almost turned into a bar fight if I didnt walk out......ALL I WANTED TO DO IS WASH THE CRAB SEASONING OFF MY HANDS.....mind you I never ate nor used the rest room on the main floor where the bar is and because I went the way I knew to go to wash my hands (which is a very big mistake) I got called out like a kid or a bumb that wanted to commit a crime....what happened to your customer service??? I spend alot of money in this establishment but the way the owner and the nieborhood drunk treated me I WILL NOT SPEND ANOTHER RED CENT WITH SHIP CAFE.....I dont wanna feel like I'm tolerated because Im spending money.....I wanna feel appreciated for my business even when I make a mistake in your resturant....Suggestion: loose the do's n dont's for customers on the back of your menu and start treating the hands that feed your family with a whole lot more kindness....YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOUR DISRESPECTING.....SHAME ON YOU SHIPS CAFE OWNERS

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Not customer friendly.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Make sure you read the "rules of the restaurant" on the back of the menu before deciding to order food. If you have a issue about how your food or drink was prepared you will still be responsible for payment no matter if you dont like the taste. If the crabs are light with no meat in them they no longer replace them with the appropriate size that you paid for which isn't in the "rules of the restaurant". They also charge a gratuity to your meal now. Thier attitude is that you can take your business elsewhere and i will.

• Visited June 2013