“Service is so bad it's like a Seinfeld episode” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 99 Restaurants in Catonsville
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Maryland
“Service is so bad it's like a Seinfeld episode”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This bakery puts out the "Amaretto Raspberry" cake which locals, including myself, will declare is the best cake your taste buds will ever entertain. It's simply the rock star of cakes and is rather addicting. The almond flavored cake is layered with european raspberry jam and amaretto buttercream frosting. The flavors are perfectly harmonious and to a naive "virgin" who has never tasted it, your life will change. It's pretty fabulous. Shockingly fabulous. I've watched many people take their first bite and the universal word seems to be, "Wow" and that's usually followed by "Oh my God." There is also this Amish style raisin, nut, cinnamon coffee cake thing that they sell in rectangular pieces. This too will make you drive off the side of the road if you try to nosh on a piece during the ride home. Then there are the pies and some of the other cakes, like coconut, that are almost as amazing. The red velvet is surprisingly not as good. It's oily and too dark chocolate and not red at all.

So what's not to love? The people who work there and the fact that they're not all that set up for coffee or anything to drink. They offer this weak cart shoved in the corner that is shaky and not well stocked. Still, that's nothing compared to these people who run this place. It's jaw dropping and heart attack inducing just how obnoxious they really are.

There's a whole variety of awful personalities to choose from. The aloof, indifferent, rude one who can't be bothered. The hostile, emotional naysayer who can't wait to bark out, "We can't do it."There's the socially inept cashier person who you hope has a hearing problem because if not then she might be the worst of all intentionally ignoring you. You have to be prepared to beg and kiss a lot of a__ when you go to this place. What's amusing is that my mother and I used to patronize this bakery for all special occasions and holidays. They can't decorate at all. It's laughable what they call decoration. Pastel flowers end up being elementary shaped stencil cut outs of tiny circles that lay flat on the cake, nothing like roses or leaves or what you would expect. My mother's 60th birthday cake was a debacle. My parents were so specific with the decoration, yet when they arrived all the extras they paid for were not on the cake and they were told very sternly that they would have to wait an hour or more until someone could fix it. (Her 60th birthday party was about to start two hours later) And wait they did, while the owner or coordinator got darn good and ready. I had ordered a separate cake for Mom's party and the writing on it was in the worst color choice (lemon yellow letters on a cake that was cream colored - you could barely see it. Why not write in purple like the flowers? Well, don't dare ask them to change or fix anything, because they will intimidate you into tears) Further, the lettering was not scroll or even professional looking print, it looked as though a third grader wrote it. Pathetic.

This place can put out good stuff, but if their main objective is to limit their business to only large, high end wedding cakes, then close the retail store instead of torturing customers.

This year my mother went on strike. She got desserts for the holidays from Ms. Desserts and you know, they weren't that bad, but we had no war stories to tell at the dinner table about how mean and nasty the people were at Sugar Bakers.

Lastly, it's not just us. Four different sets of my parents friends have stopped going there because of shabby, rude service. Both men and women are treated terribly.

We call them The Cake Nazis.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore, Maryland
“Hit or Miss ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

After several samplings we found the baked goods to be hit or miss ... mostly miss. And, for the popularity and price ($25 for a 6-inch round cake), it's quite disappointing to say the least. Ordering and picking up is easily accomplished and the bakery is clean and welcoming ... a display case offers a variety of ready-to-buy pastries, cakes and treats. The brownies are good, not great, (try the pecan if available!), the cake flavors are mouthwatering but come up short in taste and the elcairs are simply awful with the filling having no flavor whatsoever. Can't speak on the pies but they are baked fresh and need to be ordered at least a week in advance same as cakes. Decorations and details on cakes are beautiful, the problem is with the texture and taste of the baked goods at any given time. Our favorite? A very moist Apple Spice cake slice taken from the display case on a whim. We instantly wished we could have replaced the Raspberry Amaretto cake we bought with those delicous slices. Overall opinion? Unfortunately, a product of an overrated bakery in an area with little to no competition.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sterling, Virginia
“Buttercream frosting? No, just BUTTER.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stopped by for a birthday cake for my mom in Jan and was pleasantly surprised by the lovely personalized decoration and real flowers the young lady behind the counter added. The frosting however, though lovely in appearance and texture, had no flavor at all. It tasted like butter. Maybe butter flavored Crisco. It was awful. The raspberry almond cake was fairly tasty, it was just a shame to pay so much and end up throwing away the icing. The brownie was yummy though.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Tasty treats - terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I went to Sugarbakers to order a cake for my son's 1st birthday. I waiting in line for over 30 minutes - at one point people who came in after me were helped before I was even acknowldged. I walked out.

We did go back on another occasion and purchsed some slices of cake - it was delicious.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“The best cake you'll find for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My fiancé and I got a cake from here for our wedding and so many of our guests claimed it was the best they've ever had. I of corse never got a piece on my wedding day and so I appreciated the complimentary 1 year anniversary cake. It's expensive but sooo worth it!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere