“Horrible Food and Service” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“Horrible Food and Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I went in by myself for dinner and was barely acknowledged. A surly waiter just pointed at a table. That's all that happened for quite awhile before someone deigned to come over and ask what I wanted. I noticed some people drinking a bottle of wine at another table, so I asked if they had a wine list. The waiter seemed to get quite upset that I would even ask for such a horrible thing and told me they didn't serve alcohol, so I guess it's a BYOB. Again, it was quite awhile before my drink (Diet Coke) came out and the nasty waiter lowered himself to take my dinner order. The food did not take terribly long to arrive, but the waiter forgot part of my order. I didn't even bring it to his attention because at that point, I just wanted to get out of there. The bread was OK, but my entree was horrible. I ate maybe half of it and left the rest, couldn't stomach anymore. I will never go back and will warn everyone I know what a nasty place it is.

Visited July 2012

Baltimore, Maryland
“yummy!!! couldn't have wanted better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

This was actually my 2nd visit to this restaurant. I moved into downtown Catonsville in October 2011, and Indian Delight was the first place I went out to eat based on a suggestion from a friend. Both visits I had the buffet (about $20/person), which consisted of several dishes I was familiar with, and some that I wasn't. Usually, I'm not really a big fan of tikki marsala, but this place has me salivating to go back for more of it! They also had tandoori chicken, a spicy beef dish that I can't recall the name, and several vegetarian dishes and sides, along with the rice, breads, samosas, tea, etc that one expects to have with Indian food. Overall, I had a great experience both times, and I'm planning a return trip this weekend.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food but........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

The place serves good indian food. I went back but there were a number of flies in the window inside of the place. That concerned me so I have not been back.

“No Flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We were very disappointed with this restaurant after reading the great reviews. When I think of Indian food I think of it being full of spices and flavor. Unfortunately, at Indian Delight everything was bland. From our appetizers to the main course everything lacked flavor. While nothing was bad...nothing was particularly good either. Also, the service in general was very slow. We will not go back--there's got to be better places to get Indian food.

• Visited April 2011
Pennsylvania
“OK Food, Terrible Service Night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Let's start with one of the more positive aspects, the food, 3 stars.
Chicken Vindaloo was good, not great. Made with dark meat which was a bit slimy in parts, but the sauce was fairly good. A bit different, strong tomato based (which I prefer) but creamier, actually tasted like had some buffalo sauce in it. Unusual, intriguing, and pretty good (at least the sauce).
Chicken Biryani was fair. Again, fair dark meat chicken, with much larger chunks than Biryani has a right to have. Not a fan.
Naan was actually quite good, fresh and light. Papads were standard fare, would have been nice if served free at the table rather than ordered, and with only 1 sauce provided (free ones usually come with 3). So overall decent food, 3.4 stars.
Where the place fell flat on its face was the service. Although seated immediately (only 6 tables filled), and the food coming promptly, trying to get the waiter's attention was impossible (1 waiter plus manager/owner?). Our drinks (including water) ran out 3 minutes into the meal, and no matter how much I tried to flag or softly call the waiter(s), they did everything but leave the restaurant to avoid us. I finally had to raise my voice for attention, and even though everyone else in the place looked around at me, it still took the waiter several minutes to come over and another several to refill the drinks (cleaning the empty tables and tidying up the buffet seemed more urgent). He even seemed upset that I wanted a refill on my coke ("do you really want another"). By the times the drinks arrived, our meal was over. We actually wanted dessert. However, after I flagged the waiter down that we were done with our meals, it again took about 10 minutes to get some attention. So we just asked for the bill.
And to add insult to injury, the bill comes listed as over $70 for the 2 of us. We had no appetizers, no soup, no desserts, and only soft drinks, so seemed a bit excessive. I grabbed a menu to check, and calculated about $30. The manager was given back the bill, and came over and apologized that he had mixed us up with another table. Fitting end to the night's service.
Thus food: 3.4 stars; service 1 star. Rounds off to about 2.2 stars. If they get the service act together, would be a solid 3 star place. I assume an off night, at least I hope based on the other reviews, so instead of rating it 2 stars as I'm tempted, I'll base the rating mainly on the food (although after the service, I personally will not return). Plus there's much better around Baltimore (e.g. Cafe Spice Towson, Bombay Nights White Marsh).