“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Catonsville
Columbia, Maryland, United States
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

It was my third and final week staying in a hotel while waiting for my apartment to be ready for move in. I had stayed in two Choice Privileges hotels prior to this last stay thanks to family I have that work for another chain. The condition and overall atmosphere of this place was disgusting. My first night, checking in, I had to check in at a bullet proof glass window. I had to use my key just to enter the hallway to get to my room and when I got into that hallway I wanted to puke. The smell was overwhelming and the hallways were dark and dingy. I got to my room, opened the door, and the smell was even worst inside! By the second day of staying there I got a terrible headache from the smell. The entire place made me feel dirty and disgusting and I wanted so badly to check out but had nowhere else to go for the week. The other guests staying (living?) in the hotel were questionable to say the least. I won't be coming back to this hotel and hopefully this review will help others steer clear,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
KShrestha, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I am very sorry to hear about this incident and apologize that you had to deal it for a longer period of time since it appears you did stay for a week. Thank you for bringing it to our attention because it helps us to learn what our guests look for when choosing to stay with us. We wish we had the opportunity to make it right for you during your stay. Our front desk team are committed to your satisfaction if such matters are brought to our attention. For the safety of our guests, access into the property does require a valid key card and the night window is used as a deterent rather than it signifying a bad neighborhood. Safety of our guests is never taken for granted. All other issues you mention, we regret that we never got the opportunity toaddress it. As for the questionable guests, we do not make judgements of people who check in but when there is evidence of wrongful behavior by such guests, we seriously take measures to evict them from the property. We wish our guests have a plesant stay and I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations so I would like to make it right for you should you choose to stay with us again. Please feel free to call me or email me at kenny@bmhg.net.

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brunswick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We actually have Encore Travel and through it we got a great rate for a handicapped room! (We're not handicapped, Priaise God, but rooms are larger.) We had a lovely large room and a wonderful full breakfast, complete with eggs and sausage, hovered lovingly over with a lovely lady who made sure the food stayed hot and everyone was blessed.

Room Tip: Try scheduling a handicapped room. You may find it less expensive and it'll most certainly be l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much in deed.
woodstock georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

the hotel manager is very rude i wouldnt recommend anyone to stay at the comfort inn ever his name is kenny very rude and sneaky

Room Tip: NEVER STAY AT THE COMFORT INN rooms on the corner are more quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your response. I am sorry that you feel this way. My response was firm in enforcing policies which I don't like to do, but due to disregard to a friendly request to make arrangements for payment, I understand how you might deem that rude. I would like to apologize still and I am glad that you obliged which i would like to thank you very much for. Should you decide to stay with us again in future I would be glad to make amends.
Chester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This Comfort Inn is convenient to Baltimore Inner Harbor, Camden Yards, and Ravens Stadium. It was clean with comfortable beds and not too small rooms. The management and all staff were helpful and friendly. Complimentary breakfast actually had some protein - eggs (scrambled and hard boiled), sausage and yogurt. It also had a waffle maker with two flavors of batter.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback. Hope you will join us again in future.
Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Considering that my husband and I are military, we travel to a lot of different places when he has leave. Most are brand new areas where we know nobody and are just trying to explore a new place. This time we picked Baltimore. We initially pulled into a Days Inn down the street from this hotel but they were closed for renovations due to fire damage. So we were left with this place or a dumpy looking Ramada Inn down the street. The outside of this looked nice, so we chose this hotel. BIG mistake. The front desk person seemed nice enough when we checked in, and he was quick to get us a room. $92 a night, which didn't seem too bad for a descent looking hotel. We've certainly paid more. We got checked in at about 11:30pm, dropped our suitcase in our room and went back out to explore. That was a mistake. By the time we got back I was so tired and stressed (it began snowing, hard, and we had my brand new Mustang who's tires were NOT meant for snow) that all I wanted was a descent night of sleep. Only then did we realize that the beds were NOT queen sized like the desk man said, they were barely a full size. We thought we could deal with it for a night, as we had no intention of staying a second night in the city. I pulled back the comforter, sheets, and mattress pad to check for bed bugs or any sign of them (standard in any hotel I check into). Fortunately I found no signs of them. Huge relief. We climbed into a very cramped bed, and tried to go to sleep. We had to set the alarms on our phones to wake up in time for checkout as it was now almost 3am, and the clock in the room didn't work. The heat didn't work very well at all so I was cold and couldn't sleep well. I tossed and turned for about 4 hours before I decided to get up to use the rest room. I clicked on the light and immediately noticed that the cord to the hair dryer, right next to the light switch, was broken. No big deal, I had my own dryer with me. I sat down and saw that the white mini-towel on the floor, meant to be a floormat I guess, had a cockroach crawling on it. I freaked. Then every movement around me became incredibly noticable. I saw two more crawling around on the towels and one on the wall, not even trying to scurry away. I got out of the bathroom and went to the bed to wake my husband. I told him what I had just found and he asked if I wanted to check out. That should have been a no brainer. I was shaking I was so freaked out. I grabbed all of our belongings, emptiedmy suitcase to check the inside and shake it out, shook out each piece of clothing to make sure nothing had climbed in there, and left in a hurry. I went to the car to scrape the ice while my husband checked out, I had to get out of that building. The person behind the desk asked how our stay was (all 8 hours of it), and my husband said it was awful. He asked why and my husband told him what had happend. He said that was unfortunate, and my husband asked for a refund. He said that he wasn't able to do that. BIG surprise. We called corporate yesterday, and we were told it would have to be sent to the location for the manager to try to resolve. We haven't heard back yet, and dont plan to. We'll never stay at another Comfort Inn again. This place was awful, the halls smelled like cigarette smoke, it wasn't clean, and then cockroaches?! NOT a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
KShrestha, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for your husband's service in the military and taking the time to tell your story. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience. I certainly agree that your unsatisfactory experiences do not represent the level of service we stride to provide. The very idea of the us asking how our guests stay was, is to ensure that they enjoyed their stay and we do something about it. We are committed to it. Unfortunately we didn't follow through with our committment, however; I'm happy that there was a resolution to your inconvenience. I hope you will join us again in future.
Valparaiso, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed her for five days. The rooms were decent and clean. The staff was friendly and the continental breakfest had a decent selection.

The hallway carpet got vaccumed maybe once the entire time we were there, sooo overall it was stained and dirty. The hotel guests were questionable but we didn't have any problems.

So overall our stay was pleasant and worth the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much in deed for your feedback. We will always continue to work hard to make sure we meet better standards.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

The reservation was set up for me and I didn't check the reviews first because we were in a hurry to make plans at the last minute.

Pros: the staff seemed to be friendly and they did give us a break on the bill. There was at least some remodeling done in the bathroom - new floor tile and sink.

Cons: the carpet in the hallway was dirty, worn, had stains at the top of the stairs, and it had a foul odor. The walls had numerous dirty spots on them. The room had many small issues: the water pipe in the shower that goes to the shower head had a big brownish stain all around it on the wall. I think it was some kind of sealant. The hose that goes from the bottom of the toilet tank to the wall was covered in dark mildew, rust, and had a sloppy paint job. There was an area the size of a dinner plate on the wall where that same hose went in where the paint was peeling. They obviously had a leak that the drywall absorbed & mildewed and they tried to cover it up instead of replacing it. The paint on the inside of the door had several drips on it, again indicating a slothful, too cheap to care attitude and poorly trained maintenance staff. The door of the micro-fridge had a patch of adhesive where somebody just peeled some kind of sticker off, but didn't even bother to clean up the unsightly mess. When we went downstairs for our free continental breakfast, I noticed they had some fresh fruit, or so I thought. The apples had been there for MANY MONTHS and were black and mushy. It felt creepy just picking them up. The oranges were so hard and dry that you couldn't even peel them, making them totally inedible. They must've been rotting there for several months as well. The whole atmosphere was not good and I didn't feel comfortable there. There was no swimming pool or elevator either. We had trouble opening the doors with those electronic credit cards.

Avoid this place until they get their act together.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
KShrestha, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
First I would like for apologize for all inconveniences. We are constantly working to make improvements and though we might not be there yet our staff understands your concerns and always do their best to make your stay satisfying. While the same condition does not apply to all rooms we understand the grieveineces and try to satisfy guests. We hope you will join us again.

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!