“WORST hotel I've ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Catonsville
Norfolk, Virginia
“WORST hotel I've ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Considering that my husband and I are military, we travel to a lot of different places when he has leave. Most are brand new areas where we know nobody and are just trying to explore a new place. This time we picked Baltimore. We initially pulled into a Days Inn down the street from this hotel but they were closed for renovations due to fire damage. So we were left with this place or a dumpy looking Ramada Inn down the street. The outside of this looked nice, so we chose this hotel. BIG mistake. The front desk person seemed nice enough when we checked in, and he was quick to get us a room. $92 a night, which didn't seem too bad for a descent looking hotel. We've certainly paid more. We got checked in at about 11:30pm, dropped our suitcase in our room and went back out to explore. That was a mistake. By the time we got back I was so tired and stressed (it began snowing, hard, and we had my brand new Mustang who's tires were NOT meant for snow) that all I wanted was a descent night of sleep. Only then did we realize that the beds were NOT queen sized like the desk man said, they were barely a full size. We thought we could deal with it for a night, as we had no intention of staying a second night in the city. I pulled back the comforter, sheets, and mattress pad to check for bed bugs or any sign of them (standard in any hotel I check into). Fortunately I found no signs of them. Huge relief. We climbed into a very cramped bed, and tried to go to sleep. We had to set the alarms on our phones to wake up in time for checkout as it was now almost 3am, and the clock in the room didn't work. The heat didn't work very well at all so I was cold and couldn't sleep well. I tossed and turned for about 4 hours before I decided to get up to use the rest room. I clicked on the light and immediately noticed that the cord to the hair dryer, right next to the light switch, was broken. No big deal, I had my own dryer with me. I sat down and saw that the white mini-towel on the floor, meant to be a floormat I guess, had a cockroach crawling on it. I freaked. Then every movement around me became incredibly noticable. I saw two more crawling around on the towels and one on the wall, not even trying to scurry away. I got out of the bathroom and went to the bed to wake my husband. I told him what I had just found and he asked if I wanted to check out. That should have been a no brainer. I was shaking I was so freaked out. I grabbed all of our belongings, emptiedmy suitcase to check the inside and shake it out, shook out each piece of clothing to make sure nothing had climbed in there, and left in a hurry. I went to the car to scrape the ice while my husband checked out, I had to get out of that building. The person behind the desk asked how our stay was (all 8 hours of it), and my husband said it was awful. He asked why and my husband told him what had happend. He said that was unfortunate, and my husband asked for a refund. He said that he wasn't able to do that. BIG surprise. We called corporate yesterday, and we were told it would have to be sent to the location for the manager to try to resolve. We haven't heard back yet, and dont plan to. We'll never stay at another Comfort Inn again. This place was awful, the halls smelled like cigarette smoke, it wasn't clean, and then cockroaches?! NOT a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
KShrestha, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for your husband's service in the military and taking the time to tell your story. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience. I certainly agree that your unsatisfactory experiences do not represent the level of service we stride to provide. The very idea of the us asking how our guests stay was, is to ensure that they enjoyed their stay and we do something about it. We are committed to it. Unfortunately we didn't follow through with our committment, however; I'm happy that there was a resolution to your inconvenience. I hope you will join us again in future.

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Valparaiso, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed her for five days. The rooms were decent and clean. The staff was friendly and the continental breakfest had a decent selection.

The hallway carpet got vaccumed maybe once the entire time we were there, sooo overall it was stained and dirty. The hotel guests were questionable but we didn't have any problems.

So overall our stay was pleasant and worth the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much in deed for your feedback. We will always continue to work hard to make sure we meet better standards.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

The reservation was set up for me and I didn't check the reviews first because we were in a hurry to make plans at the last minute.

Pros: the staff seemed to be friendly and they did give us a break on the bill. There was at least some remodeling done in the bathroom - new floor tile and sink.

Cons: the carpet in the hallway was dirty, worn, had stains at the top of the stairs, and it had a foul odor. The walls had numerous dirty spots on them. The room had many small issues: the water pipe in the shower that goes to the shower head had a big brownish stain all around it on the wall. I think it was some kind of sealant. The hose that goes from the bottom of the toilet tank to the wall was covered in dark mildew, rust, and had a sloppy paint job. There was an area the size of a dinner plate on the wall where that same hose went in where the paint was peeling. They obviously had a leak that the drywall absorbed & mildewed and they tried to cover it up instead of replacing it. The paint on the inside of the door had several drips on it, again indicating a slothful, too cheap to care attitude and poorly trained maintenance staff. The door of the micro-fridge had a patch of adhesive where somebody just peeled some kind of sticker off, but didn't even bother to clean up the unsightly mess. When we went downstairs for our free continental breakfast, I noticed they had some fresh fruit, or so I thought. The apples had been there for MANY MONTHS and were black and mushy. It felt creepy just picking them up. The oranges were so hard and dry that you couldn't even peel them, making them totally inedible. They must've been rotting there for several months as well. The whole atmosphere was not good and I didn't feel comfortable there. There was no swimming pool or elevator either. We had trouble opening the doors with those electronic credit cards.

Avoid this place until they get their act together.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
KShrestha, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
First I would like for apologize for all inconveniences. We are constantly working to make improvements and though we might not be there yet our staff understands your concerns and always do their best to make your stay satisfying. While the same condition does not apply to all rooms we understand the grieveineces and try to satisfy guests. We hope you will join us again.

Travelers are raving about these Catonsville hotels

Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This place is dirty and full of questionable people that live there. We stayed about an hour while I was on the phone with Choice Privileges to try and get my money back. We had booked a room for 4 nights prepaid and left after an hour. I felt very unsafe. I've never seen a Comfort Inn that dirty. The staff canceled my reservation and were nice about not charging me for the prepaid room. But it put us in DC at 10:00 PM searching for another room. If the hotel wants to challenge my experience, I have pictures.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that we could not live up to your expectations. I think front desk handled the situation to your favor at their own discretion even though it was a prepaid non refundable stay. I was dissapointed that you were not satisfied. I called you personally and left a message. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about this hotel but we did the right thing for you. We are dedicated to doing right to any guests' concerns. Thank you for complimenting our front desk.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We have stayed here for the past few years when we go to The Preakness in Baltimore.
Have never really had any problems. It is convenient & not overpriced. Inner Harbor is too expensive plus you have to pay for parking. The place is not grand but it is decent.
We did NOT have bedbugs. When I saw the comment about bedbugs I got nervous!

My plan was & will be in the future at all hotels. Check in & leave luggage etc. in the car.
After checking in, go to your room with only a plastic bag containing maybe an empty bottle or cup w/lid, lysol spray & alcohol (90% or above), thin plastic gloves optional!
The 1st thing I check in the room is the bed! Lift up the bedspread & sheets etc. & check the mattress, look in the seam along the edge for any critters or any stains which could indicate bedbugs. Check the sheets etc. for any stains. I spray lysol all over the room & bathroom.
If it looks bedbug free, THEN I will bring in my luggage and put it on the luggage rack NOT THE bed!
Use the alcohol (or alcohol wipes) to wipe things down. Remote control, phone, doorknobs, lite switch, locks, bathroom etc..
The empty bottle or cup was in case there were bedbugs, I would put 1 or 2 in the bottle or cup & take to front desk & tell them I am outta here & I want a refund!

Fortunately, We had NO problems when we stayed here in May 2011! Yes, I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
KShrestha, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
We would love to have you back. Thank you very much. I think your plan is great and hope others can follow it as well.
Paramus, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Staff was nice, but after that, it was all downhill. The carpet in the hallway was dirty. The carpet in the room was dirty and the bedspread was stained with God knows what. I was afraid to take my shoes off in the room. This hotel desperately needs an update. Cannot recommend it in its current state.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
KShrestha, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
I am very glad you appreciated our service. We are truely sorry for not being able to live up to your expectations. We take reviews such as these seriously and continuosly work on make it better for our guests. We hope we can make it better for your the next time you decide to stay with us. Always feel free to bring your concers to the front desk for a resolution or ask to see me if resolution is not satisfactory.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

I have stayed at this motel several times, nothing grand about it but offers a plesant stay. The rooms are clean and the staff are very accomodating. I have stayed at other motels in the area but this one is better in terms of cleanliness and service.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!