“Nice for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Catonsville
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Nice for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed her for five days. The rooms were decent and clean. The staff was friendly and the continental breakfest had a decent selection.

The hallway carpet got vaccumed maybe once the entire time we were there, sooo overall it was stained and dirty. The hotel guests were questionable but we didn't have any problems.

So overall our stay was pleasant and worth the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
KShrestha, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you very much in deed for your feedback. We will always continue to work hard to make sure we meet better standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

The reservation was set up for me and I didn't check the reviews first because we were in a hurry to make plans at the last minute.

Pros: the staff seemed to be friendly and they did give us a break on the bill. There was at least some remodeling done in the bathroom - new floor tile and sink.

Cons: the carpet in the hallway was dirty, worn, had stains at the top of the stairs, and it had a foul odor. The walls had numerous dirty spots on them. The room had many small issues: the water pipe in the shower that goes to the shower head had a big brownish stain all around it on the wall. I think it was some kind of sealant. The hose that goes from the bottom of the toilet tank to the wall was covered in dark mildew, rust, and had a sloppy paint job. There was an area the size of a dinner plate on the wall where that same hose went in where the paint was peeling. They obviously had a leak that the drywall absorbed & mildewed and they tried to cover it up instead of replacing it. The paint on the inside of the door had several drips on it, again indicating a slothful, too cheap to care attitude and poorly trained maintenance staff. The door of the micro-fridge had a patch of adhesive where somebody just peeled some kind of sticker off, but didn't even bother to clean up the unsightly mess. When we went downstairs for our free continental breakfast, I noticed they had some fresh fruit, or so I thought. The apples had been there for MANY MONTHS and were black and mushy. It felt creepy just picking them up. The oranges were so hard and dry that you couldn't even peel them, making them totally inedible. They must've been rotting there for several months as well. The whole atmosphere was not good and I didn't feel comfortable there. There was no swimming pool or elevator either. We had trouble opening the doors with those electronic credit cards.

Avoid this place until they get their act together.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
KShrestha, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
First I would like for apologize for all inconveniences. We are constantly working to make improvements and though we might not be there yet our staff understands your concerns and always do their best to make your stay satisfying. While the same condition does not apply to all rooms we understand the grieveineces and try to satisfy guests. We hope you will join us again.
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This place is dirty and full of questionable people that live there. We stayed about an hour while I was on the phone with Choice Privileges to try and get my money back. We had booked a room for 4 nights prepaid and left after an hour. I felt very unsafe. I've never seen a Comfort Inn that dirty. The staff canceled my reservation and were nice about not charging me for the prepaid room. But it put us in DC at 10:00 PM searching for another room. If the hotel wants to challenge my experience, I have pictures.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that we could not live up to your expectations. I think front desk handled the situation to your favor at their own discretion even though it was a prepaid non refundable stay. I was dissapointed that you were not satisfied. I called you personally and left a message. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about this hotel but we did the right thing for you. We are dedicated to doing right to any guests' concerns. Thank you for complimenting our front desk.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We have stayed here for the past few years when we go to The Preakness in Baltimore.
Have never really had any problems. It is convenient & not overpriced. Inner Harbor is too expensive plus you have to pay for parking. The place is not grand but it is decent.
We did NOT have bedbugs. When I saw the comment about bedbugs I got nervous!

My plan was & will be in the future at all hotels. Check in & leave luggage etc. in the car.
After checking in, go to your room with only a plastic bag containing maybe an empty bottle or cup w/lid, lysol spray & alcohol (90% or above), thin plastic gloves optional!
The 1st thing I check in the room is the bed! Lift up the bedspread & sheets etc. & check the mattress, look in the seam along the edge for any critters or any stains which could indicate bedbugs. Check the sheets etc. for any stains. I spray lysol all over the room & bathroom.
If it looks bedbug free, THEN I will bring in my luggage and put it on the luggage rack NOT THE bed!
Use the alcohol (or alcohol wipes) to wipe things down. Remote control, phone, doorknobs, lite switch, locks, bathroom etc..
The empty bottle or cup was in case there were bedbugs, I would put 1 or 2 in the bottle or cup & take to front desk & tell them I am outta here & I want a refund!

Fortunately, We had NO problems when we stayed here in May 2011! Yes, I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
KShrestha, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
We would love to have you back. Thank you very much. I think your plan is great and hope others can follow it as well.
Paramus, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Staff was nice, but after that, it was all downhill. The carpet in the hallway was dirty. The carpet in the room was dirty and the bedspread was stained with God knows what. I was afraid to take my shoes off in the room. This hotel desperately needs an update. Cannot recommend it in its current state.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
KShrestha, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
I am very glad you appreciated our service. We are truely sorry for not being able to live up to your expectations. We take reviews such as these seriously and continuosly work on make it better for our guests. We hope we can make it better for your the next time you decide to stay with us. Always feel free to bring your concers to the front desk for a resolution or ask to see me if resolution is not satisfactory.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

I have stayed at this motel several times, nothing grand about it but offers a plesant stay. The rooms are clean and the staff are very accomodating. I have stayed at other motels in the area but this one is better in terms of cleanliness and service.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cresaptown, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

While staying for 3 nights at this hotel, I was initially very pleased. Everyone was nice and the hotel appeared clean. I am not a traveler and rarely go anywhere so I was very pleased with my agencies choice of hotels. However, a few days after I returned home, I had several bites on both arms. Long story short they were bed bug bites. I was not at all judgmental of the hotel but called to inform them and was very disappointed when they insinuated that there were no bed bugs before I stayed but were there when I left. We all know that the room was not "thoroughly" inspected for bed bugs before I checked in. It was an emotional enough and I had tremendous concern as to whether or not I brought them home with me. Luckily it does not appear that I brought any bed bugs home with me. It wouldn't have hurt for them to own up to the situation..i could have handled it better that way.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
cmft, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
This was a misunderstanding. While the incident of finding bed bugs in the room was true, I had a professional conversation about how bed bugs in hotels beds are becoming a problem and how these pests transport themselves. Fortunately we don't have an alarming bed bug problem. While bed bugs were found in the room, also confirmed by our pest control person, the room was not infested. By saying so I didn't mean to say that the particular guest brought in the uninvited pests but they got in there somehow, we don't know. This was later clarified with the guest through couple phone calls and email. I regret having led guest to believe that she brought in the bugs and I'm very happy we were able to resolve the unfortunate incident professionally and amicably. We will do everything to make sure guests are satisfied with their stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Catonsville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Baltimore West - Catonsville
Residence Inn Columbia
#1 of 2 in Ellicott City
4.0 of 5 stars 97 reviews
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!