“Too loud” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Baltimore, Maryland
“Too loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife took me here for my birthday. We sat in the front window and had a nice view of mainstreet Catonsville. The waitress got our order wrong and delivered 2 soups when we ordered one. It was not corrected until we pointed this out on the bill. It was so loud and the table so wide that I could not carry on a conversation with my wife. On the good side: the food was excellent, hot and cooked to order. We had a hard time passing the desert case on the way out. The decor is muted and very nice. Plenty of free parking behind the building.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Budbass

Baltimore, Maryland
“Not Cheap!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

No liquor license- corkage fee high. Parking is non-existent-- fish was not done, had to send it back to the kitchen. Waited another 20 minutes for it, by then everyone else in my party was through eating.

1 Thank Celia53
Port Republic
“Don't get it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Went here based on reading reviews. I must say I was not impressed. Great location and easy access. Interior was nice but our booth seats had tape on them to cover up some holes. Waitress seemed indifferent to the whole thing but did not rush us. They have no wine or liquor but we were told we could buy from the liquor store across the street and that they had a $5 corking fee. My wife got a scallop dish and the scallops were undercooked. I got a fish dish that was just ok. Sauce on top reminded me of something you get with a lean cuisine. Carrots on both of our dishes were hard as rocks. The menu reads very well and all of the dishes sound delicious but what we had lacked taste and was way overpriced. As we were leaving no one asked us how our meal was, please come back, thank you or anything. There was a manager or possibly an owner right by the door that did not acknowlege us at all. For what we paid I expected much much more. Took some deserts home and they were very good.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank out3650
ruth345
“Excellent food, but way too noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a lovely restaurant which took the place of an old hardware store. The interior is fresh, clean and all hard surfaces. Food is truly delicious. I had the rock fish Oscar and my husband had the crab cakes. Both were fresh, well prepared and first rate in quality. However, as the evening wore on and the restaurant filled with diners, conversation became quite difficult. By the time we left our ears were ringing. If you don't my the noise and the BYOB, I would highly recommend this restaurant. Had it not been for the noise level, definitely five stars..

• Visited August 2012
maryland
“Why every place deserves a second chance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

So, the first time i went to Catonsville Gourmet was a few years ago when they first opened. i hated it. The waitress at the time wouldn't let me make any subsitutions, and the when i didn't like the sauce that came with my fish she said i shouldn't have ordered it that way. i vowed never to return! well, 2 weeks ago the inlaws wanted to take us to dinner there. i was skeptical and readied myself for battle. well, it was a fantastic experience! we had to wait a bit for our table, but we had a great window seat. the food was excellent. we shared a tuna appetizer. our server was a gem. not only did she let me make subsitutions but she was attentive and friendly throughout our meal. we brought wine and beer since you can byob here. my fish entree was fabulous. others at my table had a seafood pasta that was divine. a peanut butter pie and amaretto cake topped off our evening. i'm so glad i went back, it was the best meal i've had in a while:)

• Visited July 2012