“Poor hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
New York
“Poor hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during a friend's birthday weekend and it was not a good idea. As we walked into the hotel they were people hanging outside the hotel and in the stair cases. At the front desk there was a tv monitor showing the different spots in and around the hotel in plain view for all to see. The heating system did not work and the hotel really shows it old age and could use an upgrade ASAP. We had to use hulk strength to turn on the facets in the bathroom and entrance area and the fridge hummed all night. The bed was comfortable but the other funritures had stains on them. The people hanging around, key pad entrances and the many cameras made the place feel unsafe. Don't stay here with your family. The breakfast staff was very nice but the lock the door at closing time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriela E, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time, to write your honest opinion.
I am really sorry if the Monitors behind the Front Desk made you feel unsafe, our goal is to achieve the opposite and make you feel safe.
On the other hand, I can understand how too many cameras and locked doors can have a negative effect on a person, and their surroundings. We as a management team moved our cameras immediately, because we got your point, and I thank you very much.
In addition I would like to let you know that we are in the process of upgrading the Comfort Inn Hotel; for example, the bedding, flat screen TV’s, bathroom and light fixtures.

Again we appreciate your comment, and it was my pleasure to receive a great idea from a valued guest and put into action.

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
nederland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel info claims it is 0,25 Miles from the metro, but it took us 25 minutes to get there on foot. They do offer à shuttle which works fine as long as you know what car to look for when it picks you up from the station, as it is not marked at all. Staff are very friendly and breakfast is good. Beds are all right, just the sink is not in the bathroom but in the bedroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriela E, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice review on
Trip Advisor. We appreciate and honor our guests comments, experience,
and opinion. I have to agree with you, that it is hard to identify the
van at the Metro station for pick up; Therefore we ordered signs so
you do not have to second guess anymore, which vehicle belongs to the
Comfort Inn Hotel Capitol Heights.
I hope you had a safe journey back home.

Comfort Inn Capitol Heights
301-336-8900
301-336-6419 Fax
gabriellae@bmhg.net
Newport News, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a block of 8 rooms in October 2012 for a cheerleading exhibition at a Redskins game. I had my high school cheerleaders and their families stay here. It took me calling 6 times to confirm my reservation (I should have known then not to book here) and get the information sent to me. Upon arrival, we had speedy check-in and all the rooms were next to one another and one had the rollaway we requested in advance. But that is where the positive stops: In broad daylight, after only being there 2 hours, one of our cars was broken into and over $1,500 worth of items stolen. When we spoke with the security guard he said he hated working that hotel because things like that happened all the time in their parking lot because of the location. (He then only patrolled the lot once an hour, and the rest of the time stood out front where numerous guests were smoking POT or he remained in the lobby) I would have expected, even though they're in it for the money, that the group person would have maybe suggested a different location for a group of high school cheerleaders. We had planned to check-out that morning and leave our cars there since it was so close to FedEx field, but chose to all leave and have to pay to park at the stadium because we didn't trust our cars there.
The breakfast was good, and the service was ok. They did allow us to use the conference room to practice as a group "after hours."
The hotel claims to be going through upgrades - so if you still choose to stay here, ask for one that has already been renovated. The ones that have not smell like mold, and the mattresses are sunken in. We also had to get our sheets switched upon arrival because they had big black dust/dirt marks on them.
This is the first review of a hotel I've felt compelled to write because it was such a negative experience and I would like to keep it from happening to others.
If you are a tough person with thick skin who doesn't appreciate your personal items, go for it. It is convienient to FedEx for Redskins games, but the area wasn't worth it and if we go again next year we will certainly stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gabriela E, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing with us the good, and the bad during
your stay at the Comfort Inn Capitol Heights. It is always our goal to
keep groups together, insure a speedy check in, and accommodate all
the group requests. Thank you for acknowledging this service.
Please accept my deepest apologizes, for the negative experience
during your stay.I would like to assure you, that the safety and the
personal property of our guest, staff, and visitors is our number one
priority. The entire management team at the Comfort Inn was very
disturbed about the car break in. Please believe that this was an
isolated incident. We immediately invested in more security measures
on our premises; to reinforce safety for our guest and staff.
I would appreciate if you would give me the opportunity to discuss
this matter in more detail, please contact me per e-mail or phone.
Again, thank you so much for your time. gabriellae@bmhg.net
Townsend, DE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I were very disappointed with our stay here. We picked this hotel online because it was close to the theme park that we were spending the day at. Comnfort Inn usually has a great reputation so I figured we wouldn't go wronge. The shower took 5 minutes to get hot water, there was a long black hair stuck to the back of the bathroom door, the vents in the bathroom were dusty/dirty, the duvet on the bed was stained/dirty, the hallway smelt like urine, and to top it off the coffee in our room for the coffee pot tasted just like water with a hint of coffee. We know to never stay here again! At check out, we weren't even ask how our stay was or anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ruth,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience
with us. We at the Comfort Inn Capitol Heights appreciate an honest
review, which ultimately helps us to improve in the troubled areas. We
recently underwent a new change in management and we are currently
undergoing a process of renovations i.e, updating the bedding,
including comforters and also the carpets in our rooms and hallways.
Again thank you so much for your comment, and I would like to extend
my sincerest apologizes. If you would like to contact me to discuss
this matter in debt I would be very happy to do so.
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We always look for Comfort Inns to stay at. We picked this one because it was part way to ocean city and we were tired! I guess if the bed had not been so awful it would have been fine. The check in desk was so polite and friendly; especially the lady with the pink hair. The beds both had a large dip in the middle. We certainly did not sleep well. We should asked for another room but we were undressed and so tired we decided to make it work. It didn't. We had hoped for a good night sleep before hitting the beach for Labor Day weekend. We did mention the beddin issue at checkout. We were told they were renovating. Until they complete the renovations, be sure to ask for the most updated rooms! Breakfast was hot and nice. Waffles, eggs, sausage patties, donuts, bagels, hard boiled eggs, cereal and yogurt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TamalePittsburgh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us! I'm pleased you took the time to mention the service levels and especially Gabriela (Our Pink Haired lady) whom we have just recently promoted to Assistant Manager -I will relay the compliments!

Apologies on the bed issues - this has come up a couple times recently and we are correcting this immediately - Literally visited the property and were going to inspect rooms soon as we finish this response. While were excited over the new bedding program and the flat screens etc. etc. and glad the staff mentioned it, until its complete we need to identify and remove these rooms for a bit.

Finally Thank you for the breakfast comments - our hostess puts a lot of effort in there and we fully believe that a great breakfast on the way out with a smile is always the best way to end a stay.

Thank you again and hopefully see you soon!

Dave Crance,
VP. Sales and Marketing
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Warm welcome upon arrival, booked three rooms and was give three next to each other. Room was, for the most part, clean. The coffee pot burner had not been cleaned ever, there were some dirt spots on one of the bath towels and what's with those half pillows? One bed seemed to roll to the middle, the other was better, but so close to the wall it was impossible to get in from both sides. Had what appeared to be a nice balcony, however the sliding doors were welded closed so no one could get outside - was the same in all the rooms. Neighnorhood was not so inviting after dark. Only bright spot was the breakfast spread - make your own waffles, with sausage and eggs. There was a very large assortment of stale donuts and breads, which weren't too bad after being toasted. All in all, it was not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but considering the nearness to FEDEX field, we will probably stay here again - one night only.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jack,
Thank you for taking the time to share and the very frank and honest review of what went well and what was disappointing. Most Importantly thank you and your friends for staying with us!
We are in the process of upgrading the bedding in conjunction with other furniture and fixtures, In addition I've asked the property to take a day and check beds as we've seen this trend and would rather not rent the room than disappoint guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and my apologies.
Thank you for the Breakfast Comment's - after a review of competitors Breakfast in the area it became obvious that the days of continentals are long past. We have spent a considerable amount of time in choosing and selecting our breakfast package and the addition of eggs, meats, waffles, etc has been enthusiastically received.

Again we appreciate your taking the time to share and stay with us - Please reach out if time permits and contact me through the site, I'd enjoy an opportunity to discuss your stay more in detail especially with having had several guests here at the same time. We have a new Management team and are upgrading, it would be great to receive the direct feedback and suggestions from you in detail.

Dave Crance
VP. Sales & Marketing
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This iad is the one and only bad exspearence I've had using the choice hotel site to pick hotels on my trips. the first night the phone was broke and the microave was missing, the second day they fixed the phone but never got the microwave, when I came back from site seeing my door was propped open with a coat hanger all my belongings were throw on one bed and contracts where working down the hall they said they were told the room was empty! Yet all my things including colthes were picked up out of draws and throwen on a bed. The hotel then moved me to another room where I would be more comfortable but the cable did not work and the air conditioner was broken. This Hotel should be removed from the Choice Hotel Site do not stay Here.

Room Tip: Do not stay here