“Not up to Par, But OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Camp Springs
Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Not up to Par, But OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, beginning several years ago (we go to FedEx field for games). On this past visit, I noticed the wear on this hotel. The breakfast was best left alone. Poor tasting coffee, bacon swimming in grease (not kidding). I am a Club card holder and this CI&S is below the high standard(s) of this hotel chain. Staying 5 miles away at the next CI&S is not recommended due to it's location (unsafe) and poor customer ratings. Staff was friendly, and the room was clean, which of course are predominant issue(s). If you are looking for a good overnight stay, I can't say this hotel wouldn't fill the bill. If I had not been here so many times, I probably would have rated this hotel a bit higher. A few years ago I would have rated this hotel excellent, but unfortunately, not this visit.

Room Tip: Huge construction in the rear of this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Im sorry to hear the hotel was not as enjoyable as your previous stays. I will let our staff know about the bacon and coffee to see how we can make those products better. We hope to exceed your expectations next time.

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fayetteville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a large family group and booked two Queen rooms. This was a 2-day weekend family trip to DC. Immediately upon entry in the lobby, the place appeared dark and dated. The rooms and the carpet were the same, dark, outdated decor. Their were some serious cleanliness concerns in the bathroom and showers in both rooms ie hair in showers, unsightly stains. The bed was surprising comfortable but I was nervous about using the top blanket due to cleaning concerns. The breakfast was not great at all - the sausage was raw, tables were not cleaned after people left, and the drink machine was caked with dried juice and it was apparent that it hadn't been cleaned in sometime. We barely ate and I checked out the same morning and went to another hotel. I'm sure that the condition of this hotel is not reflective of the Carlson hotel brand, The positives - less than 20 minutes from downtown DC, depending on your route and the majority of the hotel staff were incredibly friendly. I would not stay again at this particularly hotel without some serious updating.

Room Tip: Quiet location and convenient location from DC without all the traffic
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
I'm sorry to hear the décor wasn't too your liking. We are currently working with Carlson on a plan to update our furnishings and décor in the next year or so you may like the look better if you decide to stay with us again at that time. I will address your concerns with our housekeeping staff as well. Please contact me at the hotel directly if you would like to further discuss the matter.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were two families and we had booked two queen rooms. The location isnt that great and there's no restaurants nearby that you can walk to. The hotel provides shuttle service to the station. You can reach DC in about 20 mins. Breakfast is OK and the cookies were great. The staff were very warm and hospitable and they provided all guidance required. Special mention to Jake / Jacob who was indeed super help.

Rooms were good & spacious and beds comfortable. We had a small refrigerator n microwave. The AC in our room had to be reset many times and the night manager had come over promptly to fix this. Coin laundry is available which was great for us families with kids.

If only dine-in dinner option was available...the hotel would have been best.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. I will pass along the message to our staff. There is a Red Lobster and Subway within a 10 minute walk and other options within 2 miles of the hotel. If you come back to the area we can provide a list of those restaurants.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I would have possibly given this hotel a hire rating if the front desk would have been more concerned by the fact that me and my 260lb husband slept on a bed that was more like a See Saw in the playground. Our bed literally tilted to one side. This wasnt initially apparent because me and the children were already asleep before my husband got in the bed and woke me up when he rolled to the floor. It was too late to call down..however we continued up and down the entire night fighting not to fall off the bed. But he rolled again and I felt myself rolling in my sleep in the mid morning and he went out and I almost followed him. When I called down the next morning to complain, the girl at the front desk didnt apologize just simply sd she will send maintenance up. I said this is not a good time we are up now. I addressed it with her at check and she called maintainence. Since my husband had already pd and was in the car, I didnt want to make a further issue because I know me. I dont really want to offer any positive comments except the room was clean. The hotel is off many highways so be care when trying to manever. There were not any local wawas or 7-11's. I did venture to the left of Auth Road and made a right and about 2 miles down I ran into an interesting strip mall the adjacent neighborHOOD with the most ran down Macy's I've ever seen in my life. I was disappointed with the experience. PERIOD.

• Stayed August 2013
I'm very sorry to hear the bed wasn't to your liking. I hope our engineer was able to resolve the issue. I will check back with him to see what occurred.
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a great option for stay in the DC area. It is only 5 mins from the Branch Line metro station which will take you quickly to all of the sites. The staff will drive you to the metro so no need for a car. As an alternative, the bus stops right next to the hotel. The staff are pleasant, and try to do all they can to assist. Breakfast is a good start for the day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thankyou for your comment! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had already stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Atlantic City, New Jersey area. This was a wonderful stay. We expected the same quality, but were disappointed with this hotel. The walls and floors are very thin and you can hear everything. The first night, we stayed on the 2nd floor. We could hear every footstep above us. The people above had small children that were jumping off the bed. It sounded like thunder. I complained to the desk clerk and they had the couple quite the children. They moved us the next day onto the 3rd floor. It was quite after that. We stayed a total of 3 nights.
They do not have a swimming pool, but for the price, they really should have one.
I brought a serious safety violation to the attention of the desk staff. Their elevator safety inspection certificate had expired in June 2013. They were 5 weeks in violation. The staff was oblivious about the certificate. Hopefully, they have called the Maryland Division of Safety Inspection Unit.
They had a shuttle to the metro station. But, it is very close about 10 minute walk. The neighborhood is very safe.
The hotel is clean, and the rooms are spacious. They have a great breakfast buffet, with omelets, potatoes, sausage, waffles, the normal continental fare and Yes!! we even had bacon!!
The front counter staff makes fresh baked cookies which were a real hit with the kids. They went out of their way to bake my children a batch of chocolate chip jumbo cookies. Real nice touch.
I won't stay there again, but it wasn't horrible, with the exception of the 1st night.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there, take a top floor, you can thank me later!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I'm sorry about the noise you experienced on the first night. Please let us know immediately next time and we can ask the neighboring guest to keep quiet.

The county has been notified of elevator certificate several months ago as well as several more times recently as we understand this is an urgent matter. Unfortunately we have still been waiting on them to schedule an appointment for quite some time. However, we do have Otis ( the elevator company) regularly check and service our elevators as well. Thank you for your concern.
Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here during a recent visit to the DC area. It's far enough away from downtown to be more reasonably priced, but only about 15 minute drive to see the sights. Yes, there isn't much in the immediate area, but plenty within 5-10 minutes, and the shuttle is available if you aren't driving. Staff was always pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was good. No pool, if that's important to you. Ice machine only on first floor, which is kind of inconvenient. The thing we liked least though was the motion sensor in the room for the A/C. I understand energy conservation, but the room got hot and stuffy during the day while we were out, and got a little stuffy at night while we were sleeping since there was no movement in the room. Also, nearest curb cutout for handicap/cart use was halfway down the sidewalk, none directly in front of the entrance. Overall, we were happy with our stay and would come back.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review! We have ice machines on the first and the third floor, so when you come back next time please let us know you would like to have a room on those floors.

If you let us know you would like to have the motion sensors turned off for your next stay, our engineer would be more than happy to do that for you.

Thanks again!

Been to Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base? Share your experiences!