“Mismanaged - decent property - too far to DC” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Camp Springs
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Mismanaged - decent property - too far to DC”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The two King rooms are nice and spacious. To be honest, I have not seen that any where else. Property is decent. Breakfast is good. Jake ( I believe a former marine) is the best staff they have followed by Devo, the shuttle and maintenance guy. Both are very helpful.

Issues -
-They turn the AC off during the day. During summer time, the mattress radiates heat when you return to the room. Additionally, there is a musty smell in the room until the AC cools the room down again. Which can be very uncomfortable after a long day out in the heat.

-The advertising on the web is a bit misleading. It is quite far from tourist attractions. About 25 minutes by Metro Greenline (and don't forget the wait between trains).The shuttle is very convenient IF available. Tourists usually visit over the weekends. They don't mention this anywhere but shuttle is not available for a major part of the weekend.

-When there is no shuttle, and if you have stuff to carry and children accompanying you, you would opt for a cab. Cabbies are busy price gauging - nearly $10 for 0.9 miles.( Trust me, in the DC weather that 0.9 miles, feels like 10 miles. ) When we brought this to the Staff's attention, we expected them to take the info and report the issue to proper authorities. Instead, the response we got was more of - not our problem.

-As many reviews pointed out, it's located ways away from any stores. Yet they do NOT stock up on basic supplies and amenities. We brought back a bottle of wine to accompany our dinner, they could not even come up with a corkscrew.

-Fire detector battery ran out in our room at 4:30 am. It started with the loud beeping. We had to wait until 7:30 am to get that resolved. Better management would ensure battery change at regular intervals. First time I ever experienced this in a hotel room.

-'Privacy - Do not disturb' signs were missing. Good luck if you decide to sleep in...house keeping gets to work on time and they will try to get in even with the deadbolt on :-). Essssentially, they want to get done quickly, so if you are not ready they try to get you to let them off the hook for housekeeping.

-Usually, in hospitality industry you will find people at the front desks and other hotel property will greet you, welcoming you to the property. Not here. Here, with the exception of Jake and Devon, the staff is poorly trained.

Several other minor issues. When I attempted to offer the feedback and input to CHRIS, their manager, she was not interested in the feedback. Instead she seemed resentful that I took the time to offer her my input and responded with sarcasm and covert condescension.

All in all mannerisms and customer care start at management level and it appears that she may be a good task manager but does not belong in Hospitality industry. Hospitality is built around customer care. The management here does not seem to get it.

Will not return to this property. BTW.....paid about $150 per night (including taxes). Not at all worth the spend. And NO POOL at this property. I am a big fan of Country Inn chain but not this one.

Room Tip: You can find much better accommodation on vrbo.com....private B&B rentals.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to hear about the issues during your stay.

We try to be as green friendly at the hotel as possible, therefore we partake in the "Save the World" soap recycling program, linen reuse program and we have installed motion sensors in all our rooms that control when the A/C turns on and off. If no one is in the room the sensor will shut down the A/C's.

I understand how this could be an issue for those coming into the hotel on a hot day, so I apologize for that. I will relay to our engineer-Devon, to turn off the sensors for guests that wish to have them running.

The shuttle hours of operation are listed on our brand website-

Shuttle is available Monday-Saturday 7am-9pm and Sunday from 7am-4pm. As many museums aren't open too late on Sundays and Sundays tend to be our slowest day of the week, the complimentary service ends early that day. Unfortunately cab rates are set in the area.

Cab drivers generally start their rate at a certain dollar amount, than add on depending on how many passengers you have and then charge per mile in most cities. I have generally seen the cab fare between the hotel and metro between $5-$10 even though its less than half a mile away.

So sorry to hear about the alarm going off! I will make sure we check all of those batteries again. Thanks for letting us know about the corkscrew...we kept ours at the front desk but it needs to be replaced as we lend it out often.

I will share comments about staff at our next meeting to work on these improvements. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

be sure to check your credit card statement. They will double charge you and then give you the run around when you call to complain. The room itself is very nice, but the accounting system needs to be looked into and they way that they bill needs to be changed.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about the issue on the billing side. Please call us with any specific questions. This may require a day or two to get back to you if it requires some research as to why it occurred. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just returned from spending 6 nights at the Camp Springs Country Inn and Suites. I had a room with two double beds. Since we were three single ladies, we opted to also have a rollaway. Even with the rollaway, the room was very spacious! The bathroom was comfortable and large enough for two of us to use the mirror with plenty of room. The mattress was wonderful! I was asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

We ate breakfast every morning before heading in to DC for a day of sightseeing. There were always eggs. The meat seemed to rotate between bacon and sausage each day. Both were good. There were also several options for cereal, fruit, and toast/bagel/muffin. The other option available each day was a waffle maker. I took advantage one day and it was good. All in all, the breakfast options were good and helped get our sightseeing off to a good start.

There is a metro station within walking distance, about 1/2 a mile. However, we had a rented car and decided that we would take advantage of that and drive into DC each day. We had no problem finding garages near to where we needed to be each day. The drive in wasn't bad and took about the same time as riding the Metro.

The only negative about the hotel was the lack of restaurants nearby. But we would finish our DC sightseeing around 5:00 each day and come back to freshen up. The good news is there are two areas close by that offer great dinner options and atmosphere. In about 10 minutes we were at the National Harbor. There are many options for dinner here! The atmosphere was wonderful and it was a great way to end the evening. We also drove into Old Town Alexandria in about 15 minutes. Again, there are many options for eating here! We liked that the hotel was in a quieter area and didn't mind driving a few minutes for dinner options. But if you don't have a car, this hotel option isn't for you unless you are going to stay in DC until after dinner.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends and will come back here when I come back to DC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the thorough and informational review for our guests! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
Sevierville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was nice. It had everything you might expect for a hotel in this class, except for no pool. Easy access to Metro. You can walk to it in about 10 minutes, or take hotel shuttle. Nothing else near hotel though. Literally nothing within walking distance. Not stores, restaurants, markets, nothing. The front desk staff was helpful on two occasions, but I would not call them pleasant or courteous. The hotel isn't new, but did not really need to be renovated either. It was clean and well appointed. The rooms were nice size, with mini fridge and microwave. 32" flat panel TV. The TV had inputs that allow for external devices to stream movies, etc. I did not like that the AC would cut off during he day making room warm and muggy when I came back. Energy conservation, I get it, but not comfortable at times. The bathroom was nicely tiled and clean. Shower water pressure was great, but almost too strong. The continental breakfast was decent. More of a buffet than a continental. Plenty of good warm foods. Overall, I would stay here again, but I don't recommend for a family vacation. I prefer walking distance to food and stores and a pool.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay. There are some restaurants within a couple miles and several upscale restaurants at the National Harbor which is about 5 miles away. We have a list at the front desk for you if you come back to the area to stay again.
Mills River, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week to tour DC. It was our first trip to the area, and our first stay at a Country Inn.

The check inn was pretty painless. I prepaid for what was listed as an "Extended Stay Suite" on the official website One of the room features was a pull out sofa. When we got to our assigned room there was not a sofa. I went back to the counter and explained the situation; There was four of us and only 1 bed, and I asked if there were any rooms that I could upgrade to.

Elizabeth moved us to another room that better fit our needs without charging us any upgrade fees. It was a good start to our week long stay.

The beds are so comfortable. I don't know if it was the many miles we walked around DC or the bed... but I slept very well every night I was there. I always seem to miss my own bed when I am on vacation, but in this case I am missing the comfort inn bed now that I am home!

Room service was incredible. Everything was perfect when we returned from a day of sight seeing.

We only took advantage of the free breakfast twice, but it was above average. Hot sausage and eggs, juices, a waffle maker, muffins, and a few cereals to choose from. They always hand somebody watching the breakfast room to make sure everything was stocked, which sets them apart from other free breakfasts I have had in the past at hotels.

The offer free shuttle service, though we opted to drive to the metro that is only a half mile away. The metro charges $4.50 a day to park... but we only had to pay once during our stay because they leave the exit gates open during the evening rush our... otherwise the parking lot would be a mess for hours.

Also, I wanted to add that there is parking behind the hotel. We didn't realize this until a few days into our stay but it is good to know because front parking fills up quick during the evening hours.

The only negative is a lack of a pool. I'm reluctant to add that because it is of no fault of the staff, but it is something that families should be aware of before booking.

Thank you Camp Springs Country Inn for being a wonderful host during our vacation!

Room Tip: On the website for this hotel the "Extended Stay Suite" lists a sofa bed as a room feature...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you again soon.

Ranak Patel
Deerfield Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My Business Associate and I stayed at this Country Inn and Suites Property the Night of 10 May 2013. This Property had not yet seen its update in the new Carlson make-over--and it showed. The Front Desk Staff and Management of the Property were extremely attentive, professional and courteous. The two Queen Beds in the over-sized Suite were quite nice. If you are willing to drive approximately 4.2 miles, you can reach an excellent Outback Steak House for Dinner.

The Management was quick to respond to noise made across the Hallway--which is always a positive. The walls--prior to the update seem a little thin.

The Morning Breakfast was both fresh and inviting--and since it was a Week End--was surprising in terms of both selection of hot and cold dishes and quality.

The Office Computer just off the Lobby Area available to Guests was adequate. The overall condition of the Property is kept clean and neat.

Because of its proximity to major I-395 thoroughfare, you can get to major Tourist Venues, such as the Frederick Douglass Museum--as well as major Monuments in Lower N.W. D.C. in a short time--with the primary advantage here that you can save a minimum of $75.00 per night over a Hotel in Georgetown or on Pennsylvania Avenue, Northwest.

As is the case with Carlson Properties in general, this Property proved to be very safe for us. For those travelling either Nationally or Internationally, you can place that concern to rest at this Property...Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay!
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our family really enjoyed this hotel for our vacation to Washington D.C. this summer. It's located farther out from the city center but was located near the Branch Ave. metro stop (Green Line) just five minutes away via the complimentary shuttle.The shuttle was THE BEST. It was easy & convenient and allowed us to save money on parking, gas, traffic time, and other costs we would have incurred in the city center. I would agree with the other posts though that is nothing much surrounding the hotel. All restaurants, stores, etc. seem to be about a 10-15 minute drive away-it's a little strange honestly. BUT, if your purpose of the trip is to tour DC everyday and enjoy your time there, the hotel and the area surrounding it is merely your (MUCH CHEAPER!) home base to lay down your head anyway. Overall, great hotel! Very friendly and helpful staff. Really good breakfast everyday. I would definitely recommend as a good, quality hotel with easy access to the Metro which will take you straight into the center of DC. Hope your stay was as good as ours with the Country Inn & Suites!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thanks for the awesome review. I'm really happy to hear you and your family had a good time on your vacation to the Washington DC area. We know you have many choices as far as hotels to stay in so I appreciate you staying with us!

Also for any guests flying into Washington DC please book your tickets at DCA-Reagan National Airport. You can take the metro straight from the airport to our hotel which is located near Branch Ave. Metro station to save yourself cab fares/ rental car costs.

Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base? Share your experiences!