“Fantastic Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Arlington, VA
“Fantastic Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here for 2 nights this week with my in-laws and family. Rooms were great (water view - adjoining). Service was superb! Great getaway from DC. Lots of stuff for kids. Not so much of a romantic getaway spot.

Food was not bad. Not much in the way of dining options after 10pm.

Room Tip: request a water view room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Nice enough hotel if not overpriced however be warned.

The property is large and surround by a nice golf course and it has a 15 MPH speed limit that is being enforced by local police at the management's request. I was ticketed for speeding 25 in 15 and given a $90 dollar fine. As I sat waiting several out of state cars where pulled over and fined as well in nice bit of revenue generation for the town. After a few emails to the mayor, chief of police and hotel management. The hotel manager stated due to several accidents he ask the police to monitor the streets. However if the stated goal is make the area safer why not a heads up to your guests instead of nice kick in the teeth as you leave the property?

you can see my final email to the manager below.... still waiting on an apology on the unimaginative and heavy handed manner they handled a safety issue on the property

********************************

I ll leave it at this :

I understand you have a responsibility and obligation to react to reports of unsafe behavior on your property. Asking the police for assistance is warranted. However in normal neighborhood with a similar issue after a few tickets word spreads and people adjust their behavior. This isn't a normal neighborhood. People traveling around your property are only there for a few days, they don't have neighbors to spread the word to and make the area safer. All that happens here is your visitors get a kick in the teeth as the leave the property. And your stated goal of making the area safer fails.

Instead why not a letter a check- in explaining that while the area around the hotel looks like private property it is in fact public roads. Due to several accidents the Cambridge police have been patrolling the area and have enforced a zero tolerance policy.

With that warning people would obey the absurd 15 mph limit..I say absurd since the golf carts go as fast as 15 . Now that would make the area safer and not leave visitors to your hotel and town feeling like they have been fleeced for fines.

Good day and feel free to respond to my upcoming TripAdvisor review

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Go if you have kids and don't mind a racket. Don't go if you want a relaxing quiet getaway, a romantic weekend, or quiet time on the bay. The pools, hallways, and lobby are teeming with people, the lobby bar is overcrowded and chaotic, and huge reunion and wedding groups add to the general feeling of commotion. The grounds are lovely, and rooms are nice enough, but many other guests left not only food trays but all sorts of debris and garbage in the hallways (when did it become acceptable to toss your garbage outside your door?). The Regency Club on the 6th floor serves breakfast and snacks but it's also packed to the gills on weekends, so there's no place to sit and it's like standing around a middle school cafeteria. All in all, this would be a much nicer experience if it weren't a madhouse.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
ChesaBayManagement, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We will be sure to share this with our management team. Summer is definitely our busiest time of the year! (Mid-week during this season is typically calmer.) Our resort, spread out over almost 400 acres, offers a variety of amenities and activities that are in relaxing setting, and our concierge is always happy to offer suggestions. We hope to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay in the near future.
Md/DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Check in was awful due a man of limited English on his first day. He functionally knew nothing and was trying to check in too many people. Not a good way of welcoming those who are paying way too much for a non-Ocean eastern shore hotel. The views are nice of the river but all the jelly fish warnings kind take away any incentive to go there. Nice place if you play golf and generally for kids at the pool. Food is way overpriced with lots of fees added in on top of it.
Needs more than one place for onsite breakfast, the line is nuts in the morning. Once you valet you are kind of stuck.
The kids movie in the indoor pool is good for those of us with kids, but they allow huge plastic rafts in a small pool. Their insurance provider should weigh in and tell them this is a major tragedy/liability waiting to happen. Especially since they sell these things at the hotel!
Overall though we did have a nice yet expensive time and would likely do it again. Don't valet park, and do go out for meals if you can to save on money.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for upgrades on food if you are planning to stay onsite. They still kill you with fees...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We’re glad you appreciated the golf course and pools! Please note that the resort’s pricing falls within the average for AAA Four Diamond destinations. We will be sure to share these thoughts with the management team and hope to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay in the future.
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Our family of 10 including 4 kids btw 21 months-12 yrs old stayed at the Hyatt for a long weekend to celebrate our father's birthday. As a lifetime Diamond member, he has stayed at a lot of Hyatts so had high expectations for this celebration. As far as I could tell, those expectations were met minus a few small hiccups. My sister and I had one of the best spa experiences ever at Sago Spa (see separate review), my partner and I had some of the best room service experiences ever, very family-friendly (also a minus! SO many children), lovely 3 pools, small beach, activities galore, several restaurants, EXCEPTIONAL staff from the valet, to the housekeepers, to the front desk, lovely location in general, though we didn't venture off the property often...the only real minus that I want to mention is being disappointed in the Regency Club. The food/coffee were below expectations at all times and when I entered w/ my baby in my arms @ 7:15am to get a coffee to take back to my room, I was told I had to leave immediately, and that I could not even get a coffee to go. This was beyond ridiculous, and although I knew they had a no kids rule from 7-8am, my baby was in my arms, not saying a word, and there were only 2 other people in the Club. The grumpy older man to turned me away was also rude to the rest of the children in my family during the days that went on. I really couldn't believe I wasn't even allowed to get a coffee to take back to my room when I was standing in front of the coffee machine, 7:15am, baby in arms, obviously not ready to sit & stay there for breakfast. This was the most disappointing part of our weekend, but small potatoes in light of the positives. The rooms are outdated, but exceptionally clean and well maintained. This is not a luxurious 5 star resort but a family-friendly, thought-of-everything, destination. The "lifeguards" were also some of the most unhelpful group of teens I've ever seen. Also, a VERY long drive from NYC. I would definitely recommend a stay of 3 days if coming from NYC.

Room Tip: There are a lot of rooms - 400+ - so I'd suggest ones away from elevators, near the end of the h...
Green Features: I would have LOVED to see designated trash cans in the rooms for recyclables. I didn't notice any real effort to be environmentally-friendly.
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to drive down from Baltimore and check out the Hyatt Cambridge Resort. While we found the pool areas to be nice, very little else met our expectations.

Our gripe list:
-Huge backup at the valet line when we arrived.
-Plain, standard hotel rooms with bland, dated decor.
-Leftover food from prior guests in our mini fridge.
-Makeup stains on the bedding.
-A few fruit flies in the room.
-The food at the poolside restaurant was pre-made boxed sandwiches.
-Thin walls between rooms (and a family with loud kids as our neighbor).
-Understaffed convenience store on site.

Much of this would have been fine if it weren't for the price of rooms, food, and drinks, and if it weren't for this resort's vaunted reputation. The resort is somewhat a victim of its own success - hosting at least two (maybe three) large weddings in a single weekend, as they happened to be doing during our stay, is a challenge. But a well managed facility staffs up for busy times.

Some bright notes - everyone on the staff, especially the valet and bell desk staff, were exceptionally nice and very knowledgeable. The drinks at the poolside bar were good, and the servers poured generously.

Overall, we expected something much nicer from this brand and this location. While you won't have the expansive grounds and all of the on-site amenities of the Hyatt, I recommend you go to Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michael's if you're looking for a top-notch weekend on Maryland's Eastern Shore and are willing to pay for it.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ChesaBayManagement, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We certainly agree that issues you had during your stay are not up to our standards and have taken actions steps to further ensure that these experiences are not duplicated moving forward. Also, we very much appreciate you pointing out that our staff was pleasant and helpful. We actively recruit people who show these qualities and further fortify this way of thinking through various trainings. We have seen that these practices impact our guest experience in a positive way and keep our guests coming back time and time again.
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Chesapeake Hyatt has always been a favorite of ours! We go there every year at this time and enjoy every minute! The staff is amazing and the rooms are beautiful. We can do a lot or absolutely nothing!! Our son is in a wheelchair and the staff was very accommodating. Actually there has never been a Hyatt hotel that has NOT been accommodating to us! More hotel chains should take "lessons" from Hyatt!!! See you next year Chesapeake Hyatt!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the main level and each hallway had closed doors to block out the lobby/nightlife noise...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!