“Mixed Emotions” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

You added Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mixed Emotions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Bottom-line: lovely resort with great promise;service is spotty and cleanliness is an issue throughout.
Details: we arrived with our little children a few minutes after the advertised check-in time of 4:00 and our room was not ready. The desk person asked us to wait a few steps away, with no offer of a diversion for the kids or parents. After waiting 20 minutes, I approached her for an update, and she said it was ready-no apology.
Because our kids had been waiting patiently since our arrival, I tried to expedite getting them ready to enjoys the hotel's emenities by retrieving my luggage, but I was told it would be in my room right after I got there. After a 15 minute wait, I called the front desk to inquire about my luggage, and was told it would be right up; it arrive 5 minutes later. NOT OFF TO GOOD START.
The room was nicely appointed, in good repair and clean. Everything worked.
We immediately availed our selves of the pool and indoor/outdoor hottub which the kids loved. We took advantage of the pool snack bar and stayed at the pool through the pool movie. The pool and hottube were clean, but the pool deck was gross (clogged deck drains and bits of food). Other than enforcing the hottub no-kids hours (every other hour), the lifeguards were generally unattentive. There was no rhyme or reason as to how many guards were watching the pool and those that were watching weren't paying much attention. The movie in the pool idea is great, but the acoustics need to be fixed - couldn't hear dialogue at all. The snack bar was overpriced, but no more than you'd expect.
The kids activities were more limited than I expected, but the kids had fun.
Brunch was mostly good, but the hot items were luke warm or cold - order the omlete to order, but ask for it a bit wet - mine was overcooked.
We got a discounted rate, so the value wasn't horrible, but I feel like it didn't live up to its reputation at all. It's a huge resort, designed to keep you spending money on-site, but prices weren't too crazy. We might return, but only if we can find a really discounted rate.

Room Tip: Our resort view was fine - wouldn't bother paying for the bay view, we could see the creek from...
Green Features: To save electricty, there is some sort of constant running fan - nice idea, but when you're sharing a sweet with your kids, sometimes you want faster air transfer than that fan offers.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
We greatly appreciate guest feedback. We regret to hear of the service, amenity and restaurant experiences during this stay. Please know these comments will be reviewed with our management team and the appropriate steps taken. Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay offers many value-filled packages throughout the year, and we hope you’ll take advantage of one and stay with us again on a future occasion.

Associate Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Northfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I just got back from a 3 night stay. This is my second trip to this property, last time when we went in 2011 there were a lot of problems so my son and I decided to give it another try for a Thanksgiving Gateway. I will point out the bad and the good.

Upon check-in the front desk staff was quick and nice. Specially Cara at the concierge desk, she was wonderful, always greeted us with a smile and if you had a question she had the answer and if she didn't she found it.

ROOM- I requested extra pillows and towels and got a confirmation that it was received by front desk and when I get to my preassigned room, no such items. TV doesn't work as well as you would like it to some of the channels keep coming in and out. Bed is very hard. Bathroom nice size. Carpet dirty. I am glad we didn't have to use the ceiling fan, it was so dirty (see pictures)

DINNING- First night- Thanksgiving dinner buffet, decent amount of food but not hot. The service was horrible, our waitress didn't come around and when she brought us our drinks the straws were already inside it and without the paper top on the straw and then she adjusted the straws on the drink right in front of us. That is a big No No!, Breakfast at the Water Edge Grill was good every day, if you go make sure you ask for Cindy she is a delight and great service. Dinner Water Edge Grill , first time it was excellent everything went great, we had the pleasure of having Cindy again for dinner. Second time we had Melissa also very nice and professional, but the food was not so good. I order pork chops and they were uncooked, Melissa sent them back to the kitchen and they came back (same ones) still uncooked at this point I don't want to touch them and I return them, I would understand and try to understand if they were busy but there were only 4/5 table at the time, the manager was nice enough to call my room and apologize and then he send us cookies and milk. The Oysters which was added just for that evening is what my son order. In the middle of the night my son woke up with cramping in the stomach and throwing up and then in the morning during breakfast also and on the ride home, as it turns out the Oysters gave him food poisoning.

ENTERTAINMENT- They have a lot of things for younger kids but nothing really interesting for Teens.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay sincerely apologizes for the inconveniences you experienced on your Thanksgiving Getaway. Please know we are passing your review along to our Director of Rooms and Director of Food and Beverage so that the appropriate steps are taken. We regret to hear about your less than perfect room and food service experiences. Please contact me at the resort so we can correct the situation. We hope to welcome you and your son back to our four diamond resort again very soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We have always enjoyed our visits to the Hyatt Chesapeake, but this holiday visit left us disappointed. We are here for Thanksgiving but not a decoration in sight, just 2girls running around in elf outfits saying Hi. No flowers, no pumpkins, Turkeys or hint of a holiday.
Beverages took 20+ minutes! food was not hot! the waitress abandoned us after leaving the bill at the table.
Our room had very dirty floors upon entering, and the doors between our connecting rooms rooms has Greece marks and smudges.
It all has made for a poor experience. Our guess is that the MOD is new or the GM just doesn't care.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
We truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during a recent stay with us. We have communicated to our Director of Rooms, who has reached out to you as well. We have also discussed with housekeeping, engineering, and the food and beverage department to ensure that the appropriate steps are taken. We apologize about the decorations, as they were put up during the weekend and therefore some of the Thanksgiving decorations were being put away earlier than should of. We hope to have the opportunity to showcase our four diamond resort to you and your family in the future.

Titusville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful long weekend celebrating our anniversary. The staff was incredibly attentive and thoughtful. Spa treatments so very nice.every meal, in room or at one of the restaurants were delicious.mmwe can't wait to go back.
GOlf is a must on this beautiful course.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have lovely patios
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt for my Anniversary the second time. This resort is closed to home. It is very relaxing. The staff are wonderful. My husband and I have become regulars. The service is great. Jessica one of the managers is a pleasure to work with. She keeps a happy smile. I manager in edge water restaurant is very accommodating. We are always made to feel at home. There are many sizes to the rooms. Very clean and fresh smell the pool is awesome. I will share pictures.

• Stayed November 2013
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

So my family and I went to this resort back in August of this year. It is our yearly tradition to go for a week in the summer. We have been doing this for almost 5 years straight. Evidenced by my previous reviews, the quality and standard on this hotel started to diminish. I gave it a 3/5 rating for our August stay (see my previous review for reasons) and after that review was written, the hotel has since invited us back to see if they can make up for it. We decided to give it a shot and went this past October for the weekend.

Service was definitely better and staff seemed more attentive. Again, having been to this hotel on multiple occasions in the past, I knew that this was their normal level of standard. It wasn't anything extraordinary. It was your usual good stay. I admit, the occupancy was probably extremely low since it was off season so the staff probably had more time to cater to everyone (unlike in the summer).

Overall, it was a nice trip. That's why I decided to give it a 4/5 rating this time around. The hotel is still not what it used to be couple of years ago when I consistently thought it was 5/5 but they'll still need to step up and show me that they can manage better (especially in the summer, during the peak season) for me to be convinced that this resort is back to being a 5/5 resort. I hope they can deliver. I really want to take my family back there again next summer but as of now, we're still on the fence after our experience this past summer. The jury's still out for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This property is current and well maintained. The gym and pool are superb, as is the game room (nice ping pong tables and foos ball for free). Front desk staff were competent and friendly. Housekeepers did fine work, although they did accidentally leave a cleaning product in my bathroom one day and have the unfortunate habit of allowing guest room doors to slam while entering and exiting rooms during cleaning (a serious pet peeve of mine). My visit was off season but still the nicer restaurants became busy at dinner time. I would return and stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!