“Great Vacation but not a true RESORT” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Heron Boulevard at Route 50, Cambridge, MD 21613   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Seasonal Sale - 20% Off
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria
“Great Vacation but not a true RESORT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have been several times to this Hyatt and I had a lovely time over the holiday. In comparison to other "resorts" that I have been to this is lacking in a true resort like atmosphere. The spa is lovely, and I would definitely recommend it. It was decidedly not busy when I went. They have a great facility to use, a great relaxation room and the treatments are great. If you get a facial ask for Caterina, she is the very best. There are a ton of kids, and I mean a ton. They did not bother me, but I was expecting a lot of them. While relaxing at the pool and other areas I did notice that some children were not on their best behavior, I saw many people giving complaints to staff. The staff seemed unwilling to do anything. An example of this was at the water slide. My brother in law, had to go and talk to the manager due to the fact that the lifeguards were not following the rules posted and watching the water slide. There was a group of young teenagers that were cutting the little children in line, and roughhousing on the slide and then in the water directly below it. On purpose the boys were standing directly in front of the slide so that the next person coming down would run into them. The lifeguards were talking to some other people in the pool, aware of what was going on but doing nothing. When it was brought to the managers attention she become flustered and said that was not her department. Even though she was the manager on duty. He informed her that it was unsafe, parents were upset, the younger children were feeling bullied, and someone was going to get hurt. She then directed him to the pool manager, wherever he was located. Finally, after reminding her of her job, she got on the phone and called down to the pool. It was then solved. I came prepared and enjoyed my time at the pool, regardless of them. The hotel caters to families with children and that is pretty much it. They really need to have more activities that are for adults only. The lap pool for adults was something that I did almost everyday, and the yoga was the best. Those two events were over by 9 am each morning. Then the children's events started. It would be nice if they offered complimentary bikes to use on the trails, yoga at other times, aquatic aerobics, or walking tours to see the various animals and birds. The food is ehh at the best. It is expensive and rather uninspired. I really recommend eating off the grounds. Bistro Poplar and High Spot are very good. High Spot has good prices, especially doing happy hour. Happy hour is every day 4-6, and all day Sunday. The crab dip, delicious, is originally 11 dollars but is 3 dollars during this time. If you come prepared with things to do, then you should really enjoy this resort. Oh definitely try the morning yoga, I had Donna for 3 days and Sarah for 1. They were both great, but Donna was just wonderful. Unfortunately, she will not be back until August. I hope to see her again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We greatly appreciate guest feedback, and are pleased to hear the positive feedback about our morning yoga sessions. Thanks so much for bring the pool situation to our attention; We are passing this on to our activities director for review. While we pride ourselves on being a family friendly resort, we are working to provide more adult activities. We recommend speaking to the concierge who can provide a full list of adult-focused activity options. We are offering adults-only restaurant this summer in Eagle’s Nest, as well as adult-only hours in Michener’s Library and the Regency Club. We hope to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay again soon.

Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

They Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort was such a lovely surprise! We went on an impromptu trip over the holiday weekend. We had never been to the resort before and were pleasantly surprised by the well-designed and well-kept grounds, the exceptional staff (friendly, courteous, helpful, professional, and responsive), and the number of activities for adults and kiddos alike - golf, three pools, game room, outdoor fireplaces to roast marshmallows, tennis courts, beach volleyball, marina, kayaks, bikes, paddle boats, and walking trails, in addition to a gym, yoga, and other activities. And, it was a dog-friendly property, which made the trip that much easier and enjoyable for our little family of three plus doggy.

Room Tip: If traveling with a dog, ground-floor rooms, with outdoor patios are great!
Green Features: The hotel's environmentally-friendly practices are strong and not overstated.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent the week of July 4th at the Hyatt in Cambridge, MD. This is a 2 1/2 drive from Washington, DC. We enjoyed our stay very much. When we made our reservation we signed up for the Club Room,which is basically open all day. There is an hour in the morning and in the evening which is for adults only so you can escape the children being underfoot. At breakfast there is a different hot dish daily, examples are blueberry pancakes, sausage/potato casserole, and sausage/egg/cheese bagel. There are other foods to select from including fresh fruit, oatmeal, cereal, and muffins or bagels. There is a coffee machine and 2 small refrigerators stocked with Pepsi, water, milk, and juice. In the middle of the day there are snacks, and the evening buffet includes a hot dish, assorted cheeses, vegetables and dip. Highly recommend the Club Room!! There are a wide variety of newspapers to enjoy. There are a lot of children, they all were well behaved and with their parents. There are 3 swimming pools. One is indoor, one is mainly for kids with a water slide and floats are allowed, and another outdoor pool is divided in the middle for adults on one side and families on the other. There were plenty of lifeguards and activities for children. There is a schedule of hourly events for each day.There is an adult swim at 6 am, and yoga by the pool at 8 am. Donna was a wonderful yoga instructor and we started our day with her. The only negative was the lounge chairs by the pool. People put towels on the chairs to reserve them early on the morning. The pools open at 8am and by then most chairs would have towels on them. We witnessed several people complaining to the lifeguards and management about lack of unoccupied chairs by the pool or in the shade. The golf course is beautiful. There are many walking trails on the property and we saw many deer, rabbits, and even a groundhog. We only ate at one of the restaurants which was by the golf course called Eagle's Nest. The salads were huge and the hamburger was delicious. I would recommend the Hyatt and plan to return.

Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second year at the wonderful Hyatt Chesapeake Resort. Although quite crowded on the July 4th holiday weekend, we still enjoyed the resort, and the activities immensely. There are a couple of things to remember though if you're staying during a holiday time. First, go down early and claim a couple of lounge chairs around the pool. Need to leave a personal item, not just a towel, but I can assure you, if you don't do it early, you won't get a place.
Second, if you go to the restaurant on the property...the Blue Point...go early. The wait if you dine after 7 or so may be extensive...even after you're seated. Food was pretty good. Not exceptional, but passable...also not very inexpensive as you may guess, being it is a resort restaurant.

Room Tip: Go for a water view...or a deck.
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The pools -- a family pool, an infinity pool, and an indoor pool -- are all well-maintained and professionally staffed. The family pools has a short waterslide that ends in a four-feet-deep portion of the pool. The beach, a narrow strip of sand on the Choptank River, was essentially useless during our visit due to jellyfish. Even apart from that, the water looked cloudy and uninviting. The hotel runs evening family events during the week -- e.g., poolside movies, S'mores at an outdoor fireplace. The game room was a little small, but it's worth noting that it it focuses on air hockey and foosball tables over video games. We were there during the week, and while the hotel seemed fairly full, none of the amenities we used were crowded so as to impact our use of them.

The Hyatt could probably use a somewhat more affordable family option that would include dinner. Dock's Poolside, a snack bar of sorts (albeit with a range of alcoholic drinks and a reasonably expansive menu), worked for lunch. Water's Edge is a little on the expensive side, but it is kid-friendly, with a decent kid's menu and an attentive staff. I was there for a business conference, and the conference food and staff were both very good; the staff was noticeably more professional and courteous than average.

The rooms were fine, clean and well-maintained but not luxurious. We had no issues with noise disturbing our sleep. The hotel has large signs at its elevators urging guests to stay quiet after nine. I had no problems using the wifi, though signal strength was reported as low on one of our devices (but our limited use of the device, an older laptop, was not impacted). Self-parking seems a little more distant from the rooms than necessary, but at least it was free. I had signal problems on my mobile phone -- not, strictly speaking, the fault of the hotel, but still an issue. I found that the signal was better outside by the miniature golf and the family pool and relatively faint in the conference areas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family of four stayed here for three nights while my husband attended a meeting. It was fine (given we weren't paying) but I wouldn't choose to go here on vacation.

The location is picturesque. My husband had no complaint about their conference facilities, and he and his colleagues thought the food was good. I joined them for a dinner one night and it was an amazing seafood fest...all the fresh crab you could eat, plus crab cakes, scallops, etc.

But for vacation as a family....eh. We booked a petite family suite, which has a bed and bunk beds. We knew it wouldn't have a water view (don't know why they think families don't want a view...), but it was directly on the parking lot (like keep your shades drawn at all times). It was also not very well laid out...felt cramped. The second day we moved to a riverview king suite with a sofabed and that was much better. Much bigger room and you could open the drapes! View was very nice.

One big plus...they have a list of verified babysitters. We contacted a nice grandma named Ann who stayed with the kids so I could attend my husband's dinner function.

Room service was not great. You always expect expensive, but their grilled cheese was so bad my kids wouldn't eat it! It's hard to mess up grilled cheese, but they put it in a waffle press which rendered it hard as a rock and literally un-biteable. Our one meal in the hotel restaurant was ok (my housemade pastrami sandwich was delish).

Mostly, we were underimpressed with the pools. Perhaps because we're from CA and have spent time often in Florida, where hotel pools are amazing. But these were just ok. Older son liked the slide, but there wasn't much else to do. Other hotels we've stayed at had staff who did fun stuff like throw rings for kids to dive for, etc. Also, know that you'll have to get in with little ones...due to the slide, the family pool is almost four feet at its shallowest spot. No option for my five year old to splash on his own in 3 ft unless he was in the infinity pool (which we did enjoy, but it's for standing in, not swimming due to number of people in it on the family side).

A final positive...our kids loved the gameroom! They were amazed to find out that real table tennis is much more challenging than on Kinect, and they adored foosball, air hockey and shuffleboard. We may have to redo our garage :)

• Stayed June 2013
We appreciate the positive feedback about our conference services, game room and verified babysitters. Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay regrets to hear about your dissatisfaction with our room service and pools. Please know we review all feedback in an effort to improve our resort experience. We hope to welcome you back soon to our four-diamond resort.

Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a beautiful location, and my room was overlooking the Bay. This is a large property well spread out and has a host of outdoor options including the River Marsh Golf Club which is rated as the 7 best resort course.

The rooms are large and spacious, try to get one with a view of the bay. They have all the facilities for a resort and noticed many families with children. In the morning I would go for a run around the property and out by the sea which was superb. Didnt get a chance to try the restaurants as we were in a conference which included meals which were good. This is a really nice place when the weather is good as was the case during my trip.

The only glitch I had was the attitude of someone at the front desk. I had to send an important 1 page international fax but this simple task was a major challenge in the hotel, even though I was happy to pay costs. In addition, the front desk manager at night sent me a curt message that they just dont do these things. I was amazed by this response from a 5 star hotel in this day and age. I complained and they fixed it the next day, but what was a simple task became a major challenge. Surely a 5 star hotel can do better.

Played a round of golf, the golf staff were great, the game very enjoyable and this was a real treat.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the bay
Green Features: They allow re-use of linen, but appeared to change towels every day.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!