“Great Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

You added Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Annapolis
“Great Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second year at the wonderful Hyatt Chesapeake Resort. Although quite crowded on the July 4th holiday weekend, we still enjoyed the resort, and the activities immensely. There are a couple of things to remember though if you're staying during a holiday time. First, go down early and claim a couple of lounge chairs around the pool. Need to leave a personal item, not just a towel, but I can assure you, if you don't do it early, you won't get a place.
Second, if you go to the restaurant on the property...the Blue Point...go early. The wait if you dine after 7 or so may be extensive...even after you're seated. Food was pretty good. Not exceptional, but passable...also not very inexpensive as you may guess, being it is a resort restaurant.

Room Tip: Go for a water view...or a deck.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The pools -- a family pool, an infinity pool, and an indoor pool -- are all well-maintained and professionally staffed. The family pools has a short waterslide that ends in a four-feet-deep portion of the pool. The beach, a narrow strip of sand on the Choptank River, was essentially useless during our visit due to jellyfish. Even apart from that, the water looked cloudy and uninviting. The hotel runs evening family events during the week -- e.g., poolside movies, S'mores at an outdoor fireplace. The game room was a little small, but it's worth noting that it it focuses on air hockey and foosball tables over video games. We were there during the week, and while the hotel seemed fairly full, none of the amenities we used were crowded so as to impact our use of them.

The Hyatt could probably use a somewhat more affordable family option that would include dinner. Dock's Poolside, a snack bar of sorts (albeit with a range of alcoholic drinks and a reasonably expansive menu), worked for lunch. Water's Edge is a little on the expensive side, but it is kid-friendly, with a decent kid's menu and an attentive staff. I was there for a business conference, and the conference food and staff were both very good; the staff was noticeably more professional and courteous than average.

The rooms were fine, clean and well-maintained but not luxurious. We had no issues with noise disturbing our sleep. The hotel has large signs at its elevators urging guests to stay quiet after nine. I had no problems using the wifi, though signal strength was reported as low on one of our devices (but our limited use of the device, an older laptop, was not impacted). Self-parking seems a little more distant from the rooms than necessary, but at least it was free. I had signal problems on my mobile phone -- not, strictly speaking, the fault of the hotel, but still an issue. I found that the signal was better outside by the miniature golf and the family pool and relatively faint in the conference areas.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family of four stayed here for three nights while my husband attended a meeting. It was fine (given we weren't paying) but I wouldn't choose to go here on vacation.

The location is picturesque. My husband had no complaint about their conference facilities, and he and his colleagues thought the food was good. I joined them for a dinner one night and it was an amazing seafood fest...all the fresh crab you could eat, plus crab cakes, scallops, etc.

But for vacation as a family....eh. We booked a petite family suite, which has a bed and bunk beds. We knew it wouldn't have a water view (don't know why they think families don't want a view...), but it was directly on the parking lot (like keep your shades drawn at all times). It was also not very well laid out...felt cramped. The second day we moved to a riverview king suite with a sofabed and that was much better. Much bigger room and you could open the drapes! View was very nice.

One big plus...they have a list of verified babysitters. We contacted a nice grandma named Ann who stayed with the kids so I could attend my husband's dinner function.

Room service was not great. You always expect expensive, but their grilled cheese was so bad my kids wouldn't eat it! It's hard to mess up grilled cheese, but they put it in a waffle press which rendered it hard as a rock and literally un-biteable. Our one meal in the hotel restaurant was ok (my housemade pastrami sandwich was delish).

Mostly, we were underimpressed with the pools. Perhaps because we're from CA and have spent time often in Florida, where hotel pools are amazing. But these were just ok. Older son liked the slide, but there wasn't much else to do. Other hotels we've stayed at had staff who did fun stuff like throw rings for kids to dive for, etc. Also, know that you'll have to get in with little ones...due to the slide, the family pool is almost four feet at its shallowest spot. No option for my five year old to splash on his own in 3 ft unless he was in the infinity pool (which we did enjoy, but it's for standing in, not swimming due to number of people in it on the family side).

A final positive...our kids loved the gameroom! They were amazed to find out that real table tennis is much more challenging than on Kinect, and they adored foosball, air hockey and shuffleboard. We may have to redo our garage :)

• Stayed June 2013
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We appreciate the positive feedback about our conference services, game room and verified babysitters. Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay regrets to hear about your dissatisfaction with our room service and pools. Please know we review all feedback in an effort to improve our resort experience. We hope to welcome you back soon to our four-diamond resort.

Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a beautiful location, and my room was overlooking the Bay. This is a large property well spread out and has a host of outdoor options including the River Marsh Golf Club which is rated as the 7 best resort course.

The rooms are large and spacious, try to get one with a view of the bay. They have all the facilities for a resort and noticed many families with children. In the morning I would go for a run around the property and out by the sea which was superb. Didnt get a chance to try the restaurants as we were in a conference which included meals which were good. This is a really nice place when the weather is good as was the case during my trip.

The only glitch I had was the attitude of someone at the front desk. I had to send an important 1 page international fax but this simple task was a major challenge in the hotel, even though I was happy to pay costs. In addition, the front desk manager at night sent me a curt message that they just dont do these things. I was amazed by this response from a 5 star hotel in this day and age. I complained and they fixed it the next day, but what was a simple task became a major challenge. Surely a 5 star hotel can do better.

Played a round of golf, the golf staff were great, the game very enjoyable and this was a real treat.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the bay
Green Features: They allow re-use of linen, but appeared to change towels every day.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I secured my reservation on-line, directly on the Hyatt web site. One of the items on the site asked if we wanted a trundle bed and I checked yes. The site then moves you through the checkout process, presents the final tally and I paid it.
When I arrived and was checking in the girl at the counter told me it was an additional $15 charge for the trundle bed; I told her that no, it was already included in my reservation and that the final bill was presented to me after I selected the trundle bed, therefore no reason to assume I'd be surprised at check in. I said this 3 times to her since it didn't seem to elicit anything more than an "I'm sorry but this is how we do it".
Obviously this is not a discount hotel and I certainly was prepared to spend quite a bit there (food, drinks, the spa, etc); but I do not like surprises and to change an already agreed tally is unacceptable to me.
I really expected the lightbulb to finally go off and the girl to remove it from the bill. However at checkout the next day there it was still itemized. The girl at checkout finally removed it after first telling me it was "how it's done" only when I pointed out that despite all this the trundle bed never showed up at my room.

In addition, there are a lot of large signs posted on doors, the elevator and so forth that seem to be directives. It feels like they want to treat their guests like children.

Interesting that the one sign people should pay attention to apparently wasn't very noticeable; the "No Pets" sign at the pool; I counted 3 dogs right around the pool; which is really gross when you think about the people going around barefoot; the last thing you want to worry about is stepping in something a dog left by the pool.

The restaurant, Waters Edge Grill?, the glass enclosed front room near the pool, really really needs to be aired out; it smells very moldy or mildewed. Maybe it's not noticeable if you work in it each day but really noticeable when you first go in to eat; spoils the appetite.

On the good side the room was nice and I found any employees I encountered ,other than the employees I experienced at the front desk, to be helpful and very nice. The grounds and amenities were pleasant.,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We appreciate the positive feedback about our resort team, grounds and amenities. Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay regrets to hear about the situation with the trundle bed, and at Water’s Edge. We are reviewing this particular situation with our management to ensure that the appropriate steps are taken. We hope to welcome you back for a future visit at our four-diamond resort.

Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales
Millstone, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our family has been vacationing at the Hyatt for the last 5 yrs and we absolutety love this hotel!
The resort caters to families and has plenty of activities throughout the day for the kids.
My kids love going down the waterslide in the activities pool. The property is well kept and the rooms are clean.

This year we rented Waverunners for $65 a half an hour, and it was alot of fun.
We usually dine off premises in the town of Cambridge with has nice restaurants like Jimmy & Sooks, The High Point, and Snappers. The hotel restaurants are good, but not as good at the ones nearby in Cambridge.

THis is a great family vacation spot for a 3 night getaway....

Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Cambridge (and most of the Eastern Shore of MD) is only 2 hours from DC, so if you have only a couple of days to get away, don't want to waste lots of time reaching your destination, and aren't looking for a terrific deal, this is a great choice.
The property is well-maintained and very pretty, situated right on the edge of the Choptank River with outstanding views. While you can swim in the river and the hotel has a small beach for this purpose, it's not all that inviting. The two waterfront pools are a much better option.
This is a true resort in the sense that you pretty much have to use a car to get to non-hotel dining establishments. The dinner we had at the Water's Edge Grill in the main building was good but not memorable. We had bought the breakfast package with our room and found the buffet good--plenty of choices--but also nothing extraordinary.
For us, the beds were the best feature at the hotel, as it its quiet. Signs asks guests to tone down the noise as of 9 p.m., and this does seem to be a very family (and dog) friendly hotel.
Our room was clean and adequate, but $379 (before resort fees and taxes) does not buy you a view during the high season. We didn't mind because we spent very little time in the room, but you might want to spring for a room with a view if you plan to linger there.
Also, Cambridge itself is very, very sleepy so even if you do venture off-campus you'll find a waterfront town that is pretty but truly dead, so if you choose this location, the resort really is the attraction. After a couple of days, I have to imagine one might get bored.
But overall, we had an incredibly relaxing weekend and the staff treated us very well, so the experience met all of our goals; however, it is pricey (even taking into account the Resort Factor), given the location.

Room Tip: The "balcony" description is misleading--it's just a tiny space you can step out on to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!