“Very nice stay, with a few problems” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Heron Boulevard at Route 50, Cambridge, MD 21613   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, PA
“Very nice stay, with a few problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I came here for our 30th wedding anniversary, came here for the 25th. While overall it is a very lovely place, with views to die for, it has its issues. Main one would be the facility in itself needs a good cleaning, not the rooms per say, we had breakfast in the main dinning room and looking out the small window you could see small bird feathers and droppings all over the window. The balcony we had, which if you can pay for the sit out balcony do it, has a wasp nest under the rail. Check in staff was very accommodating, service staff needs a bit more training, not always helpful or easy to understand. Additionally some sort of recognition from the hotel from the hotel of our milestone would have been nice, how much does a bottle of champagne cost???

Room Tip: Rooms with the "sit out" not walk out balconies are worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

922 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here twice for business conferences. It's a great facility for conferences, everything you need is right there - ballrooms, conference rooms, dining, and recreation. Parking can require a bit of hike if you don't use the valet. The rooms were clean and well organized. The provided toiletries were very nice. Plenty of hot water and water pressure. The air conditioning was a bit of an issue. The room was very warm when I arrived and it took several hours to get comfortable after turning down the thermostat. I had a view of the Choptank River that was very nice. The grounds of the resort are beautiful. The room rate was pricey even with the conference discount, but you get access to an uncommon variety of amenities (indoor and outdoor pools and bars, several kinds of fitness/sports facilities, access to watercraft rentals, fishing, etc.). The food served for the conferences was pretty good - but I'm not sure how it compares to what is served in the restaurants.

Room Tip: Get the river view if possible...the heat/humidity of the room is probably worse on the upper levels...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed here for the Eagleman Triathlon. The hotel is really nice, and the staff attentive but here was the problem. They had a lot of new staff who were clueless when it came to ALL their restaurants. We consistently had issues. Dumb things like around the pool I saw 4 young adults arguing about who was going to serve me a drink. Then the winner comes over and tells me how they all have to fight to keep others out of their section. Later on at dinner we waited 2 hours for a 38 dollars steak that never came. Having them bring you toast you ordered with your meal after you had cleaned your plate. Dumb stuff you may expect at a 125.00 a night hotel. Not when you are paying 389/night. I don't like to complain but in this case I felt it was important to let the manager (Alex) know about it at checkout. He was very professional and apologetic. He did not offer up excuses. He said he would try and fix the problem and offered to take a night off the bill. I was happy with this.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We greatly appreciate feedback and guest loyalty. Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay apologizes for any dissatisfaction at the restaurants. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention both the night of and on TripAdvisor, so that appropriate steps are taken. We hope to welcome you back to our four-diamond resort during the next Eagleman Triathlon, or perhaps sooner.

Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was at this hotel a few years ago for a business conference and thought it was a lovely location. So when my husband and I wanted to plan a weekend getaway for our 10th anniversary I suggested we go there. I reserved through Hyatt.com a king room with a water view, a seating balcony, and noted it was our anniversary. When we arrived early afternoon (not late when they were all full) they only had available property facing rooms with two double beds. When they gave us an apology and a room key, we went to the room assigned and it was still occupied!! Back to the lobby for another round of finding an available room. We never got what we had reserved and pre-paid several months in advance as well. I was livid.

I am a frequent traveler and a Hyatt Platinum guest, so I know the good and bad of many, many of Hyatt's properties. I have probably stayed at 40+ different Hyatts. This one is pretty on the outside, lovely grounds, but beyond that, NOT WORTH THE INFLATED RESORT PRICE. I have stayed in probably 10 of the Hyatt resort properties and usually love their amenities for pleasure travel, but will not go back to this one!!

The sheets were ripped, the pillows were lumpy (did I mention my husband and I slept on separate little double beds???), the bath towels were thin and flimsy, the "free" buffet breakfast was sub-par, and the reservation planning was clearly poorly executed. And our 1 margarita and 1 soda at the pool cost $22+tip!! They knew it was our anniversary, since we reserved that in the package, so I would have typically received some in-room amenity but they didn't even acknowledge it other than the gal at the front desk saying it was noted on our reservation.

I don't fault the guest-facing staff but I do fault poor management and oversight. I would not be so critical if I were not familiar with so many other superb Hyatt resort and hotel properties, but the Hyatt Chesapeake Bay in Cambridge has a long way to go to catch up with their corporate peers. I won't go there again.

One final note: to be fair, they credited us $150 because we didn't get the room we reserved, but we still spent over $300 for the night including parking and pool drinks. We cancelled our planned dinner reservations and chose to eat off premises after our bad check-in experience (highly recommend Jimmy & Sook for dinner in downtown Cambridge).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and experience during this special anniversary weekend, especially as a Platinum Hyatt member. Please know that we are taking this feedback and reviewing it with the management team to ensure that the appropriate steps are taken. We hope to have the opportunity in the future to showcase a four-diamond resort to you in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

While recently being a golf widow for several days, I decided to meet a girlfriend of mine at this Hyatt resort for a couple of days of spa treatments and relaxing by the pool. Although my husband and I had stayed here before, I had never experienced their spa. Check-in was a breeze and the bellman not only delivered my belongings, but filled my ice bucket, brought me a newspaper, and offered to answer any questions I might have regarding the resort or local activities. Our room was located on the third floor, waterfront, with a sit-down balcony overlooking the main courtyard, fountains, a beautiful gazebo pier, and the bridge coming into Cambridge. It was gorgeous! The beds were comfortable and the room was well appointed. A refrigerator and safe are both included for guest convenience. My girlfriend arrived the next morning and was warmly greeted by the front desk staff. Every Hyatt employee that we came into contact with during our stay were friendly, courteous, and clearly had a mission to make sure that we had a wonderful, relaxing visit. We had 10:30 massages scheduled at the spa, so off we went! The spa is very nice, clean, and relaxing. The relaxation area offered three different flavored waters from which to choose, fruit, mini-muffins, and trail mix. The spa staff was very professional and friendly. After incredible 90-minute massages, we went on to a facial, manicure & pedicure. After our spa experience, we relaxed for a while and decided to just grab some dinner at Michener's Library (the main lobby bar area at the resort). We had a great time talking with the bar staff and had a wonderful evening. As a fan of Hyatt resorts, it's always nice to meet staff members from other countries and cultures. Apparently, Hyatt sponsors an exchange program of sorts whereby staff members visit other properties to work on one-year contracts. It's always very interesting to hear their stories and backgrounds and their thoughts about being in the United States (or wherever we happen to be). This resort has several different restaurants to choose from, all offering local Maryland seafood specialties. After a great night's sleep, breakfast was on our agenda at Water's Edge Grille. The breakfast yogurt/fruit/granola parfaits are a must! A day by the pool did not disappoint, as the pool areas are very beautiful. A main outdoor "activities" pool is available, as well as an outdoor adult "infinity" pool. Both were very nice. There is also a large indoor pool enclosed in a beautiful atrium. My only complaint would be that I was told prior to my arrival that one of the outdoor pools would be heated, which it was not. I suppose the fact that they offer an indoor pool sort of negates this complaint though. In summary, I guess I just can't find anything to complain about at this property! We had a blast and will be making it an annual event (at the very least)!

Room Tip: Reserve a waterfront, sit-down balcony. Beautiful views!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

3 straight years we've gone Memorial weekend. It's a great spot for families with younger children. Not sure I'd want to be there on a holiday weekend without children, though. The weather was a little cool, but the indoor pool is perfect as well as the indoor/outdoor hot tub. We still find the food a tad pricey, but there are lots of off-resort options. A hidden gem is a great open grass field on the property that allows for baseball or catch or tag. The staff are very friendly and warm. Most are very young foreigners (Eastern Europe?) here for the summer. Lots of fun things during the day like bingo or tug-of-war or cannonball contest in the pool, pie-eating contest, etc. The indoor pool nighttime movie is always cool. We keep coming back for a reason.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the water, definitely request one. Probably not worth the money though.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We arrived without a reservation on the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend and were very happy to find a room available. We found the overall property to be very attractive and well-maintained and all the staff we encountered to be a good mix of professional and friendly. Our room (1401)was on the ground floor and had a patio with a great view. Others have mentioned how narrow many of the balconies are (not all---there are some "real" balconies) so we were very happy with a very nice sized patio on which to enjoy a glass of wine in the afternoon. If this is important to you ask when you make a reservation.
Unfortunately, my husband became sick during the night. It was clear that he was not going to be able to travel the next day. The front desk were very sympathetic and helpful when I went to them to extend our stay. Luckily, he slept most of the day and was able to have a light supper and the next day we continued out trip. But while he was confined to the room I wandered much of the property and continued to be impressed by the maintenance and quality and the friendliness of the staff.
Despite my husband's illness we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Be clear about what is important to you. We were on the ground floor which normally I would not lik...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!